Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking About TD-12S Kit .. Some Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking About TD-12S Kit .. Some Questions

Hi all, I'm thinking about buying a td12s kit.

I wanted to know if I could add another bass drum trigger (kd-85 or kd-120)

And if I do add the 2nd bass drum trigger, how many cymbal CY-12s could I add?

Also, with the TD12S I can add extra sounds from vexpressions right?

I'm looking to get a nice kit that I won't have to upgrade for awhile.. I looked at TD-20 and TD-9SX but I think TD-12S is the good compromise... what do you guys think?

Thanks!

first off, if you get the kit from a store, you will probably only be able to get the SV version of the kit as the S version was replaced in june, at no additional cost.
    so unless you're buying on ebay, your td-12sv will have 2 outputs left for any toms, snare, cymbals you'll want to add. might wanna check if bass drums are the correct type of trigger for the aux inputs though.
    I also think there's an input on the kd-120 so you can plug another bassdrum in there, but I don't own one so I can't help you with that.
    http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=SANY0907.jpg

Comment

The VExpressions packs don't add extra sounds. They just are programs for the ones already there. The VEx guys just happen to be experts at it and their patches sound really good.

The TD-12 has two auxes that you can plug any pad into.

If you want two pads to trigger the same kick sound, you can use an adapter and plug them into the same input. That is what I do. It saves the auxes for other things.
      sigpic

Comment

thanks for the replies!

so basically I can either use a Y splitter to trigger the same sound or just pass it through the other kd120

would you guys recommend the kd120 over the kd85?

Also is there a certain beater I should use to avoid damaging the kick triggers?

Comment

Will a double pedal not do just as well as two separate pads? If you are driving the same instrument in the brain the result should be effectively the same.

Comment

you're right, a double pedal would have the same result but a different feel. Double pedal feels different from two single pedals thats why I was asking about the 2nd bass trigger.

Also, if I buy a CY-12 from any music store, will it come with the mount/cabling required to attach it to the vdrum rack or is that purchased separately? (kinda like the spd-s apc-33 clamp)

Comment

When you buy a CY-12 you get a cable and the rotation stopper. You would need to buy the clamp and arm. I use Gibraltar these days, but you can buy the Roland MDY-10U.

I find the cables used to share headphone jacks work great for running two pads in parallel. An insert cable won't work. Personally, I drilled a hole in my KD-8 and added a parallel jack. Now I just chain my kicks together.

As for KD-120 vs. KD-85, don't ask me. I use KD-8s. They feel the best to me.

Don't use felt beaters though. They will wear through mesh heads.
              sigpic

Comment

I have a KD-8 and an KD-85 also. The KD-8 feels very good and makes a good solid thud so if you are trying to play quietly forget it. I practice on a kit with the KD-8 a lot and like it but I find that the KD-85 is both quieter and more like an acoustic kick in feel - ie the mesh head does have a bit more give. I find that my busy kick patterns translate onto the acoustic kit better if I work with them on the KD-85.

Comment

thanks for all your replies, I went ahead and ordered my td-12sv bk today! (new for $2469)

For the bass drum beater, what material is suggested, rubber?

Would this beater be good for using on the included kick trigger: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ter?sku=440105

Comment

A Roland plastic beater is included with a KD-85.

Bruce

Comment

where did you get such price?
                      thanks
                      http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=SANY0907.jpg

Comment

I use those Tama beaters and I like them. Much lighter than the Roland one.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gostviper View Post
                          where did you get such price?
                          thanks
                          check out bpmmusic dot com

you'll have to send them an email or call to get a quote and buy anything, but they're great (purchased from them before and everything is new, unless otherwise stated) You can probably get an even better price if you ask for any floor models or b-stock, etc. They also have great prices on tama hardware, and just about anything roland.

thanks michael for the advice, I went ahead with the rubber tama beaters.

Comment

looking at the vexpressions site, im not sure I understand what the difference between the td-12 packs and the "20 to 12" option is.

Can anyone help me out on this please?

Would I want to get packs from the td-12 section or go with the 20-12 route? What are the pros or cons of each?

Thanks!

Comment

You get an extra tom and a couple of extra cymbals with a TD-20 pack, but they cost more. Unless you know you're going to add on a fourth tom soon, there's not much point in spending extra.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                              X