Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customizing Roland HD-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customizing Roland HD-1

Hello! I just registered to this forum to ask a few questions about upgrading the HD-1 kit. I tried to ask this from my country's Roland retailer, but couldn't get an clear answer. The Roland U.S wouldn't want to help me because of their policy of localized support.

Are the cymbals in HD-1 kit stereo like regular CY-5s or are they some special cut down mono edition? It reads CY-5 in cymbals. How about the snare? Is it an PDX-8 in disquise or is it some special cut down mono version?

My plan is to upgrade the HD-1 with Alesis Trigger I/0. I'm using the HD-1 to trigger my Motif ES and Alesis I/O would let me to assign the midi notes freely, which would be great. Alesis is compatible with the dual trigger pads. I have a plan to buy PDX-8 to be used as a dual trigger snare and now I'm guessing do I need to buy the new cymbals (CY-5 or 8) too. However, if the cymbals and snare already have a dual trigger capability, all I need to do is to change the trigger cables and maybe the 1/4" output jacks.

Any other more experienced HD-1 upgraders out there ? Thanks in advance.
    - tuquoque

TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

@saku
      Is that finish for,good luck with that?
      TD3 + SPD-6 and love it

Comment

Originally posted by pluto3 View Post
        @saku
        Is that finish for,good luck with that?
        nope, just finnish for welcome.....and that i dont know anything about the hd 1....
        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

ok,lol........Yes welcome mate
          TD3 + SPD-6 and love it

Comment

Moi vaan Saku

ja kiitos vain toivotuksista

hopefully someone will chime in with the answers needed...
            - tuquoque

Comment

Hi Tuquoque,

As a beginner I like my HD-1 very much. Although the brain in my opinion is too restricted. I missed the speed indication of the metronome and I also wanted to be able to edit the drum kits.

So I bought a second-hand TD3 module on eBay.

At first I connected the TD3 to the HD-1 brain via a midi cable. And all of the sudden I had the feeling I was sitting behind a real e-drum kit.
              There was one problem though, Tom 3 was not working at all.
              Eventually I found out that de HD-1 sends the tom 3 info on channel 43 and the TD3 is listening to channel 41 for that tom.
              After reading through the TD3 manual I was able to change the midi setting for each drum kit on the TD3 and after that everything was perfect.

And then I thought "why not using only the TD3?".
              The only problem is that the connection between the HD-1 pads and the brain is made with a (male) DB25 connector.
              So I decided to make a break-out cable.

After a bit of fiddling with a multi-meter I was able to determine the following pin arrangement:
              (attachment 1)

Pin 1 Tip Crash
              2 Sleeve Crash

4 Sleeve Kick
              5 Tip Kick

6 Sleeve Tom 2
              7 Tip Tom 2

8 Sleeve HiHat
              9 Tip HiHat

10 Sleeve HiHat pedal
              11 Tip HiHat pedal

14 Tip Snare
              15 Sleeve Snare

17 Sleeve Tom 1
              18 Tip Tom 1

19 Sleeve Tom 3
              20 Tip Tom 3

21 Sleeve Ride
              22 Tip Ride

I bought a female DB25 connector some coloured wire and 9 mono 1/4" plugs.

And after some soldering this was the result:

(attachment 2)

Plugged the female connector to the male HD-1 one and the plugs into the TD3 and it worked!.
              Except for the kick drum pedal.

Somehow I cannot get the HD-1 kick pedal to work on the TD3.
              I know that the cable and the connectors are OK. For the moment I think that the signal that is given by the HD-1 pedal is different from a "traditional" kick pedal.

So I am back to using the midi cable.

As for the snare on the HD-1: it looks like a PDX-8, but it after I removed the mesh head I only found a trigger for the mesh head.
              According to the manual for the PDX-8 there is a second trigger just beneath the main one:

(attachment 3)

Which means that the snare on the HD-1 is indeed as you suspected a cut down one.
              The cymbals have a CY5 text on them but when I connect them with a separate stereo cable to the TD3, they still had no rim response.
              So I think they also are cut down.

For the time being I am satisfied with my midi solution, but I will keep a close eye on the posts in this forum on customising the HD-1

Good luck with your experiments!
              Attached Files
              TD-9KX, CY-8 as second crash; Headphone AKG 240studio; headphone amp: Corda XXS.

Comment

Great, just the answer what I needed (but wouldn't want to hear)

Thank you very much for your in depth reply.

It seems that the things are like I was afraid of, the snare and the cymbals are cut down mono versions. That's bad news. Even worse news is that you can't use the kick trigger with external module. That ruins my plan to use the HD-1 with the Alesis Trigger I/O and very much makes the whole kit useless for my needs.

I have two possibilities. First one is to buy Alesis Trigger I/O as planned and also buy MOTU MTP AV (or similar) which let's you map the midi notes freely. Even with MOTU I couldn't change the trigger velocity curve. The other option is to step up and buy bigger and more expensive kit with more professional module. That is something I wouldn't want to do as I'm using the kit in my home studio and I really like the looks, the size and the low noise.

Please, let me know if you find a solution for the kick trigger problem, and thank you for helping me save my time and money.
                - tuquoque

Comment

Breakout cable... or replace cables?

Wouldn't have been easier to replace the cables with standard ones?
                  It would also make easier to address 'compatibility' issues with the kickdrum or other parts, wouldn't it? Apart from the single-trigger pads/cymbals, all other parts should fit right away with a new and smarter 'module' like TD-3.
                  (maybe I am saying something odd, just my two cents)

Comment

Yeah unlucky man, from what I remember reading, the HD-1 uses the speed of the kick pedal's depression in order to guage the velocity of the hit, this is obviously achieved through something more akin to a midi CC value than a noteon, and while i have no idea how these sorts of signals are communicated between the module and trigger they're two very different beasts.

Really like your cable idea though, I'll have to bear that in mind in case anything ever happens to my TD-9's one!

Comment

So I have a similar problem - I want to use a TD-3 to have more sound options and ability to control the volume of individual triggers. So I bought a bunch of regular cables and hooked up the drums to a td-3 to find that the kick doesn't work.

Greydog - You mentioned using a midi cable... is there any difference doing that and what I would like to do? Will I get the full functionality of the TD-3??

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sparky472 View Post
                        So I have a similar problem - I want to use a TD-3 to have more sound options and ability to control the volume of individual triggers. So I bought a bunch of regular cables and hooked up the drums to a td-3 to find that the kick doesn't work.

Greydog - You mentioned using a midi cable... is there any difference doing that and what I would like to do? Will I get the full functionality of the TD-3??

Thanks
                        The Midi cable works fine, just plug it in the HD-1 module and the Midi-in of the TD-3 (and don't forget to power on the HD-1 module).
                        The only problem I encountered was tom 3 not working right away.
                        As I mentioned in my post you have to change the Midi note for tom 3 in the TD-3 module.

The problem with the kick pedal I mentioned (and is covered in other posts in this topic), is in my opinion caused by the fact that it uses the same trigger as the hi hat pedal. When I connected a separate cable between the kick pedal and the hi-hat connector on the TD-3, I got the same hihat sound as with the (lefthand) hihat pedal.
                        Meaning this pedal uses a sort of film-resistor trigger in stead of a piezo one.
                        Mind you I am not an expert on these things.
                        All I know of this subject I learned on this fantastic forum!
                        TD-9KX, CY-8 as second crash; Headphone AKG 240studio; headphone amp: Corda XXS.

Comment

Greydog, can youi shed some light on how you did that? I can't seem to select tom 3 at all on the module.

Comment

HD-1 with TD3

One way for connecting the HD-1 to TD3 would be to connect all the other pads than kick straight to TD3 module and connect the kick trigger to HD-1 module and then trigger the bass drum sound in TD3 via midi. Any experiences on this? (I still haven't upgraded my module so I can not test if it works)
                            - tuquoque

Comment

selecting tom 3

Originally posted by sparky472 View Post
                              Greydog, can youi shed some light on how you did that? I can't seem to select tom 3 at all on the module.
                              The Midi note sent by the HD-1 for tom 3 is 43. The TD3 is expecting note 41 for tom 3. So you have to change that in the TD3, because you cannot change it in the HD-1.
                              (You have to do it in every individual drum kit of the TD3 by the way).

To do that you have to connect the tom 3 pad of the HD-1 directly to the tom 3 connector of the TD3 with a patch cable.
                              Then follow the instructions on page 60 of the TD3 manual and change the midi note setting for tom 3 in the drum kits you want to use.
                              After that you can disconnect the patch cable, reconnect the "normal" HD-1 cable to tom 3 and you're ready.

From now on you only have to use the midi cable and you'll be able to apply all the editing capabilities of the TD3 for every pad ont the HD-1.

Have fun!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X