Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-9KX Volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-9KX Volume

Hi

Just got a TD-9KX which is great. Just a question - I am using it through headphones and I have the volume up to full and it sounds, well, quiet. Not really quiet but considering its supposed to be full blast I'm not finding it at all uncomfortable... would prefer it to be louder.

Perhaps interesting, when I preview a drum sound (shift + kit) the volume of teh sound I get is much louder.. its just when I play its quiet..

Any ideas??

Many thanks...

Originally posted by Mickul View Post
    Hi

Just got a TD-9KX which is great. Just a question - I am using it through headphones and I have the volume up to full and it sounds, well, quiet. Not really quiet but considering its supposed to be full blast I'm not finding it at all uncomfortable... would prefer it to be louder.

Perhaps interesting, when I preview a drum sound (shift + kit) the volume of teh sound I get is much louder.. its just when I play its quiet..

Any ideas??

Many thanks...
    There is a full thread about this 'problem' if you do a search..http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40913.

one solution seems to be to upgrade your headphones to ones with matching impedance...the other is to buy vexpacks, which for instance, enable me to have the volumbe at 1200 instead of 0300.... http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

happy drumming!
    Last edited by saku; 08-21-08, 02:00 PM.
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Make sure the kit volume is all the way up to 100.
      [KIT]
      [F2] MIXER
      [F3] KITVOL

If it is still too low, it could be the impedance on your headphones. Recent dicussion here:
      TD9 headphones output level low?

edit: ...beat me to it, saku....

Comment

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
        Make sure the kit volume is all the way up to 100.
        [KIT]
        [F2] MIXER
        [F3] KITVOL

If it is still too low, it could be the impedance on your headphones. Recent dicussion here:
        TD9 headphones output level low?

edit: ...beat me to it, saku....
        yes, but you found the thread first, i searched for td-9 and headphones instead of td9, and so couldnt find it!

Comment

cheers

Guys - I'll look through all the links you put up - thanks for your help in this, I really appreciate it!

Mick

Comment

I have the same problem i guess the td-9kx just have low volume.

When i connect to my studio monitors i also have to turn way up. and with headphones atleast 75% but i use 100% it really sucks hope Roland make a fix but i dont think its possible ???

Comment

Originally posted by hellforce View Post
              I have the same problem i guess the td-9kx just have low volume.

When i connect to my studio monitors i also have to turn way up. and with headphones atleast 75% but i use 100% it really sucks hope Roland make a fix but i dont think its possible ???
              headphone pre amps will also suggested in the listed threads...I am sure there are monitor preamps available....and the vex packs really improve things so I can run them lowe, at about 50%...make sure you have the proper impdadence and that you arent listening at such high levels that you are damamging your hearing,,,,

Comment

I have noticed this, when I first got my TD9 I was surprised how much I had to dial the volume up to get a reasonable level, about 3/4 of the whole way around. I measured the impedence of my headphones, and they are 32 ohms, so really they're not a good match. I'll have to have a look around for a new set at least 64 ohms upto around 150 ohms.

Off topic rant:

One thing that really is starting to bug me about the TD9, is not being able to seperate the mix-in and metronome click from the outputs (I.e to have it only in the headphones, only in the line outs, or both, as required). If this is software controllable and not a hardware limitation, I'd really appreciate Roland giving us this functionality in an update. Otherwise I'm gonna have to put a screwdriver to my module.
                2Box Drumit5, DIY 12" Snare, 12" Floor Tom, 2x10" Toms. Acoustic cymbals w/DIY triggers, Triggera Krigg, Tama Iron Cobra Kick and Tama Roadpro HH stand. Tennis Ball Riser (not needed now I have the Krigg lol).

Comment

Well, I just saw this thread and checked my new Audio Technica ATH-M50's impedence and found they are listed at 38 ohms. Am I going to have this volume issue for the TD-9SX? I love these headphones and that's going to be a real let down if that's the case.

Also, it was mentioned that the VEX packs were a solution. Will they allow me to get sufficient volume with these headphones? I was considering them anyway and if that's a solution I'll be fine...
                  "...regardless of what you play, the biggest thing is keeping the feel going ..." - Wes Montgomery

Comment

I'm having pretty much the same problem with my soundcard and Sennheiser headphones. I have to crank the volume almost to full. Severe lack of bottomend bass. Of course the tiny/vimpy opamps in these things can't drive real headphones. So what am i going to do?

I'm going to build this. It a Class-A headphone buffer. You will need a preamp or a voltage amplifier before this one. However this buffer will drive almost everything out there. You need a handfull of components, heatsinks and powersupply. You can solder them on a prototype pcb or wire them point to point. Very easy to build.

my 2 cents,

Kari
                    MegaDrum trigger to midi x 1,
                    BFD 2,
                    13" DIY snare,10", 12" and 14" DIY toms,
                    VH-11 Hi-Hat x 1, Pearl RH-2000 Remote Hi-Hat,
                    Hart ECII-12HHB Hi-Hat x 1,
                    CY-12R/C Dual-Trigger Cymbal Pad x 1, CY-14C V-Cymbal Crash x 1,
                    Hart ECII-16RB Ride x 1,
                    13" and 14" Kit-Toys china,
                    10" Kit-Toys splash,
                    KD-8 Kick Trigger Pad x 1,
                    Trick Pro1-V double bass pedal,
                    MDS-6C Drum Stand x 1
                    sigpic
                    And ppl remember listen to Strapping Young Lad!

Comment

Thanks a bunch pal. Now I gotta go to my local electronics store for some IRF610's...
                      2Box Drumit5, DIY 12" Snare, 12" Floor Tom, 2x10" Toms. Acoustic cymbals w/DIY triggers, Triggera Krigg, Tama Iron Cobra Kick and Tama Roadpro HH stand. Tennis Ball Riser (not needed now I have the Krigg lol).

Comment

Originally posted by Makomachine View Post
                        Well, I just saw this thread and checked my new Audio Technica ATH-M50's impedence and found they are listed at 38 ohms. Am I going to have this volume issue for the TD-9SX? I love these headphones and that's going to be a real let down if that's the case.

Also, it was mentioned that the VEX packs were a solution. Will they allow me to get sufficient volume with these headphones? I was considering them anyway and if that's a solution I'll be fine...
                        Being the one who started the TD-9 headphones volume thread, I thought I'd post a reply. I just tried the ATH-M50's on the TD-9's headphones output and they are loud enough for me. Pushing them all the way up to max. really makes your ears ring after 3 seconds. At 75% they're still loud enough to drown out the pad noises. Still, adding a headphone amp can be good solution to the output level 'problem', so you can use whatever cans you like.

Edit: and the VEX kits do sound a lot louder than the standard ones (which aren't all set at max volume, by the way). Besides that, they also sound a lot better. After spending the money on a TD-9 go ahead and spend a couple of bucks more an the VEX kits. They really make your TD-9 sound like it should! (BTW: I don't have any stocks in VEX, it's just my opinion. But a lot of people share it!).

Comment

Originally posted by eric_B View Post
                          Being the one who started the TD-9 headphones volume thread, I thought I'd post a reply. I just tried the ATH-M50's on the TD-9's headphones output and they are loud enough for me. Pushing them all the way up to max. really makes your ears ring after 3 seconds. At 75% they're still loud enough to drown out the pad noises. Still, adding a headphone amp can be good solution to the output level 'problem', so you can use whatever cans you like.
                          Thank you! That's all I needed to know and I'm all about protecting my hearing. If it drowns out the pad noise I'm good...
                          "...regardless of what you play, the biggest thing is keeping the feel going ..." - Wes Montgomery

Comment

Working...
                          X