Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first time drum buyer with a ton of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time drum buyer with a ton of questions

Hey guys, I've been searching the forums and I believe I've found a plethora of information, but still have a few questions, comments and concerns . . .

I'm looking at buying my first set within a week or so! I've watched some videos to compare the different sets and I've noticed the following (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong)

The Alesis DM5 Pro Kit is considered cheap and nobody seems to recommend it. I only keep considering it for it's price. The snare is dual zone, while everything else is single and the brain isn't that great. The hi-hat is only open/close. Choking is not an option on the cymbals.

The Roland TD-3 is set at a reasonable price and has ALL dual zone triggers (snares, toms and cymbals) except for the kick drum (why anyone would need a dual zone kick is beyond me....). The hi-hat is still only open close, and the brain is Ok, but at least it's a Roland. The cymbal sounds seem a bit cheesy and you still cannot choke.

The Roland TD-6 is out of my price range, but the brain isn't, necessarily. The brain itself seems to offer choke-able cymbals and a hi-hat that can be open, closed or anything in between, as well as dual zone for all of the pads.

I've found that I don't really care for the Yamaha kits, because I'd prefer mesh pads throughout (even though none of the Roland kits I can afford offer that, I can still upgrade one by one.) Do the Yamaha brains seem to be "better"? What about a Yamaha kit and upgrading the pads to 3rd party mesh pads?

Also, how can I tell if a pad is compatible with a certain kit? For example, the 3rd party or different brand pads. I understand that the Roland kits might come with different connections than the Alesis or Yamaha (or Hart or anybody else for that matter).

And if I wanted to expand my kit, how would I go about doing so? I believe the Roland kits come with one of those "all in one" cables, correct? Do they have additional connections on them for any cymbals or toms you would want to add?

I think the brain of the TD-6 would be perfect for me right now, but I am trying to figure out how to put the whole thing together for a less than $1400 price (at Americanmusical.com . . . pay as you play plan). I'll need the kit, throne and kick pedal, and would /like/ to be able to add an additional cymbal, but I know I'm pushing it now . . .

Thanks for all of the advice, in advance.

The CY-8 cymbals with the TD-3 sets ARE choke-able.
    As far as I know, the only kits that are using the DB-25 all-in-one cables are the TD-9 and the HD-1.
    Buy the most module you can afford...if you can swing the TD-6, you'll be happier in the long run.

Comment

All Hart pads are completely compatible with any Roland module. Hart pads are also compatible with the Alesis DM5 module. I have no idea if they are with Yamaha though.

If I am a understanding what you are saying about an "all-in-one" cable, that is only the TD-9. All the other use individual cables from pad to the module. (oops, sorry, Colquhoun already answered that).

Getting into edrumming is not an inexpensive venture. Some people have the money to just plunk down on a TD-12 or 20 based kit, be it Hart or Roland. Others don't. When I bought my kit, I just couldn't drop that kindof money down. I decided to buy a DM5 based kit called the Hart Prodigy (not made anymore). Slowly, I upgraded the kit one piece at a time....modules, drums, cymbals, rack, etc. For me, patience was the best option. The TD-6V is a good module to start off with BTW. That's was my first upgrade from the DM5. A good little module that is quite servicable. Much more versitile than the TD-3...IMO anyway.
      Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
      "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

What I cannot figure out, is if there is a difference between the TD-3SW and the TD-9S hardware (obviously the brain is different)

Does the TD-9S come with better hardware out of the box? Chokable cymbals and a fully dynamic hi-hat? If that were the case, then I might be inclined to figure out how to swing that kind of money instead of having to buy the TD-3, TD-6 module and upgrade a bunch of stuff. But if I upgraded the TD-3 cymbal / hi-hat hardware, then I would have "extra stuff" laying around (I could have 4 cymbals instead of 2....)

What do you think? Is the TD-9 brain much different than the TD-6?

Comment

Originally posted by lysis View Post

What do you think? Is the TD-9 brain much different than the TD-6?
          The TD 9 has fewer sounds, but newer and very much better than the 6. It also has fewer but much much better backing tracks, the scope feature (which shows graphically your hits, so you can see if you are lagging or pushing), a usb connector (which makes uploading vex packs much easier). it also has an additional input. Hi Hat control is better. In general a much better module, which is why i upgraded to it from the 6. Interface is also much easier to use, menu access much better.

the td 6 is quite an old module, the 9 is spanking new.
          TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
          ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
          not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

What I cannot figure out, is if there is a difference between the TD-3SW and the TD-9S hardware (obviously the brain is different)

Does the TD-9S come with better hardware out of the box? Chokable cymbals and a fully dynamic hi-hat? If that were the case, then I might be inclined to figure out how to swing that kind of money instead of having to buy the TD-3, TD-6 module and upgrade a bunch of stuff. But if I upgraded the TD-3 cymbal / hi-hat hardware, then I would have "extra stuff" laying around (I could have 4 cymbals instead of 2....)

?

I checked the rolandus site http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...px?ParentId=60, and it looks like they contain the same hardware, except that the stand is bigger - important for comfort and for adding things....also note you can add two more pads/cymbals to the 9 but only one to the 3.

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
              I checked the rolandus site http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...px?ParentId=60, and it looks like they contain the same hardware, except that the stand is bigger - important for comfort and for adding things....also note you can add two more pads/cymbals to the 9 but only one to the 3.
              Knowing that the 9 has two extra pads and that the 3 has one extra pad is useful.

I can't tell how many pads the TD-6 can support. I see 9 trigger inputs (11 inputs) I also am not able to get consistent information from Roland regarding their devices. I know that the TD-6 has a 64 voice polyphony (that means it can be making 64 sounds at a time, right?) and the TD-9 does not tell me this information. The TD-9 has 522 different instruments and the TD-6 has 1024.

I've found the V Expressions kits to be like night and day and definitely plan on getting a VEX kit with whatever brain I get (TD-6 or TD-9).

Comment

Knowing that the 9 has two extra pads and that the 3 has one extra pad is useful.

I can't tell how many pads the TD-6 can support. I see 9 trigger inputs (11 inputs) I also am not able to get consistent information from Roland regarding their devices. I know that the TD-6 has a 64 voice polyphony (that means it can be making 64 sounds at a time, right?) and the TD-9 does not tell me this information. The TD-9 has 522 different instruments and the TD-6 has 1024.

I've found the V Expressions kits to be like night and day and definitely plan on getting a VEX kit with whatever brain I get (TD-6 or TD-9).
                I hope you didnt mean when you said the input info was good that everything else i wrote was fluff!

The td 6 can support 9 pads, but if you sacrifice the rim inputs on two of the toms, you can put in an additional two pads, total 11. however, to me, it is just as easy to assign new sounds to the rims, and then you dont need to spend the money to buy pads, so i dont really see the use of that. And I dont understand why conversely, you cant do that for ANY dual trigger pad for any module, using a splitter cable.

The polyphony, i believe, but may be in error, is only relevant for the sequencer, which the 6 has, but the 9 doesnt, it uses real audio instead. So the 6's backing tracks use the sequencer and you can switch sounds, ie have a sax play instead of an acoustic guitar on a backing track. The 9 doesnt use synth gm sounds on its backing tracks, so it doesnt have that facility. Again, the 9 has half as many sounds and kits as the 6, but they are more than twice as good!

Comment

no no, i didn't mean to imply that any of your thread was fluff.

i don't ever see myself using the sequencer, so that feature alone means nothing to me. the 9 comes with much better sounds than the 6, but since the 6 has been out longer, there are more VEX packs for the 6 than the 9.

i read earlier that the TD-3 can support cymbal choking with the correct cymbals . . . is it a stretch to assume that the TD-3 can support a variable hi-hat with the proper hi-hat controller?

Comment

no no, i didn't mean to imply that any of your thread was fluff.

i don't ever see myself using the sequencer, so that feature alone means nothing to me. the 9 comes with much better sounds than the 6, but since the 6 has been out longer, there are more VEX packs for the 6 than the 9.

i read earlier that the TD-3 can support cymbal choking with the correct cymbals . . . is it a stretch to assume that the TD-3 can support a variable hi-hat with the proper hi-hat controller?
                    On the other hand, how many vex packs do you need? There are two available for the 9, that's 60 some kits! myself, i tend to find the 3-5 kits I like, and stick to them, just occasionally changing mostly for the fun of it...and I would rather have a few good kits than many fair kits...on the other hand, since many of us who had 6s are changing up to the 9, you mght be able to find something used...

if you go to the roland website, you can download a manual for the 3, then just check in the index to see what it says about the hihat---I think, mind you think, that the 3 has either the same or less hihat functionailty as the 6, which is on/off/half open...wheras the 9 can have much more nuances... But i ask for someone else to correct me if i am wrong....

Comment

apparently, the TD-3 does open, closed, half open, and foot closed. the TD-6 does open, closed, foot open and foot closed (no half open). the TD-9 is the lowest model that will provide a smooth transition between open and closed, depending on how much pressure is being applied to the hi-hat control pedal or the optional VH-11 stand.

so with that said, it sounds like it may be better to spend the extra money and get the TD-9 . . .

who wants to make a backup of their TD-9 module and give it to me so i don't have to tweak? *laughs*

Comment

who wants to make a backup of their TD-9 module and give it to me so i don't have to tweak? *laughs*
                        That is EXACTLY what the VEX expansions are....and incredibly well done, I might add.

Comment

so the VEX kits will basically wipe out the entire module and put on better sounding kits that are already tweaked for me?

Comment

New kits - wiping the preloaded kits off the module. (They can be restored if needed) It amazes me that Roland doesn't contract out the original kit development to this team given the improvements people rave about.
                            "...regardless of what you play, the biggest thing is keeping the feel going ..." - Wes Montgomery

Comment

so the VEX kits will basically wipe out the entire module and put on better sounding kits that are already tweaked for me?
                              Yes, MUCH better sounding kits. Not new sounds, just better sounding ones.
                              Yes it will wipe the SAVED kits on the module. You can always do a factory reset, as you can never really erase the base kits....just alter them. If you do any changes to the sounds, ambiance etc., you should always backup your settings to USB key.

On the TD9 it is super easy to switch between the stock kits and the VEX expansions. All you do is first backup the module (stock kits) on a USB key. You can then load any backup (stock or VEX) you want. Takes about 3 seconds and 5 button pushes.
                              When you play with them for a while, you will find the best of the best kits from each expansion and the best stock kits...and then combine them into one backup (max 50 kits). Since any USB key can hold 10 backups...thats a lot of kits.
                              Last edited by Colquhoun; 08-18-08, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X