Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

td-12 drum pads options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• td-12 drum pads options

My uncle offered me to pay for my td-12 as long as it's below 2.8k (I must put 1300 in but that's nothing).
    the thing is, I get the option of switching pads from my music store. for the same price, should I go:
    A) snare - 12" , 3 toms - 8" , 1 floor - 10"
    or
    B) snare - 12" , 2 toms - 10" , 1 floor - 12"

there is a problem though. I must choose before ordering the drumset, because they will exchange only new pads for that matter (makes sense but i must make a choice before trying it out really).

what do td-12/20 users think would be better?

thanks a lot
    Last edited by gostviper; 08-17-08, 09:38 PM.
    http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=SANY0907.jpg

It's kind of a personal preference...do you play an acoustic set and have you become comfortable with a particular setup that mirrors one or the other? Would having a cymbal in place of the extra tom in (A) be better for your style of play?

My setup is below in my signature. I had an extra tom (a PD8) that I used as a high tom and ended up freeing up that port to fit in the splash and china. I don't miss it. I'm used to using the 8" toms from previous Roland systems, but that doesn't necessarily match YOUR requirements. Would I probably like larger toms? Yes. I plan to make a 14" DIY snare and move that PD-105 over to the floor tom. I will likely sell off the extra PD-85 versus using it.
    Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute | Zildjian Ks

Comment

Without question go for option B. You'll appreciate the bigger pads. 3 toms is plenty and you can always get another later.

Comment

I'll try and go mix and match the td-20 and td-12 demos at the store and try the two setups.
        I like to have something to play into and I play rock/metal. As for the cymbals, I place my ride pretty flat on my right side, behind my floor so A or B wouldn't be a problem.
        http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=SANY0907.jpg

Comment

I'll cast my vote for the 3 larger tom set.

I started with a TD-3 and then replaced everything. (Sold the TD-3 today.)

The newer set up is much bigger and I think much nicer. The TD-3 seemed almost toy-like compared to the new set up. You'll like the larger heads.

Like Tripp2k said, "It's kind of a personal preference.."

Not having played drums before I wasn't trying to replicate an a-kit.

Good luck !
          Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

I like the bigger heads as well. I was not an acoustic player either, but I did want to replicate the acoustic look because I just like it. I personally would rather have the extra cymbal. BTW, you can always add a fourth tom later if you want. I run four toms now.
            Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
            "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Working...
            X