Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland TD-3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TD-3?

Wazzup guys! i have some questions about the Roland TD-3 for ya!

1: Is there any inputs left after i've conneccted the whole standers kit? (i want an extra crash cymbal)

2: If i want even more pads/cymbals, does the Roland TMC-6 work with the TD-3 at all?

3: I've heard different answer on this one: does the VH-11 hi-hat pad work with the TD-3? i've heard some say Yes and some say No, does anyone have experience with this?

4: If i ever get tired of the sounds on the module, can i plug in the module via USB to my computer and use some program to get new sounds?

5: how many customs kits are there room for on the TD-3?

I'll probably come up with some more questions that I'll post later!
    And sry for making so many threads about everything & nothing, it's just that i need to get a v-kit fast and i'm still not sure what to go with!

//M.Schwartz!

M,

As an almost ex-TD-3 owner, I'll answer a couple of your questions, the rest of the group will chime in on the rest.

#1. You have one extra input, so you can add a crash or other trigger..

#2. ?

#3. I'm not sure here, I never tried another hi-hat with my TD-3

#4. No.

#5. from p. 22...."There are 32 drum kits. You can modify them as you like."

The TD-3 is a nice entry level kit. It worked well for me. I ended up doing a major upgrade ( replacement). It is much smaller than the new kit and was much simpler. I'm still figuring things out on the new set up.

Good luck!
    Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

#2 - apparently not, according to BarT (still awaiting clarification in another thread)
      #3 - yes - do a search, there was another thread very recently on this question
      #4 - Picksorsticks isn't entirely correct on this one. It entails a bit more than 'plugging in the module via USB' but it is fairly easily done. I use a VST host program called Ableton Live to trigger sounds from VSTi programs such as EZdrummer and Addictive Drums.
      Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Just a note on adding a TMC-6 to a TD-3: They will work together to the extent of allowing you to connect additional pads; but not to trigger additional TD-3 sounds, so what's the point? (unless, as Sabre pointed out elsewhere, you're triggering external VST samples).

Bruce

Comment

Well then can i use a Hosa YPP-117 Y-adapter to make one input into two? i saw a dude who had done that on youtube and was wondering if it's possible even on the TD-3?

Comment

Originally posted by M.Schwartz View Post
            Well then can i use a Hosa YPP-117 Y-adapter to make one input into two? i saw a dude who had done that on youtube and was wondering if it's possible even on the TD-3?
            They would be triggering the same sound, so what's the point?
            TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
            ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
            not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

A TD-3 doesn't have any inputs which can be split with a Y-cable (except perhaps the snare, but most people like its rim where it is.) You could only split the bow and edge of a cymbal input for two separate single-zone triggers by Building Keith Raper's Circuit.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                A TD-3 doesn't have any inputs which can be split with a Y-cable (except perhaps the snare, but most people like its rim where it is.) You could only split the bow and edge of a cymbal input for two separate single-zone triggers by Building Keith Raper's Circuit.

Bruce
                Wouldn't that be like building a whole new trigger?

Comment

Wouldn't that be like building a whole new trigger?
                  Hey; I said you could do it, not that you'd want to.

But some people never hit cymbal bows and want more edges, and it's about the only thing you can do to expand a TD-3.

Bruce

Comment

I bought a set with TD3 and VH11 lately, it definitely works. Also the set plays beautifully with BFD2. Supporting 3 way ride TMC6 sounds like a good idea for expansion and will possibly be in my next shopping list along with the roland ride.

Comment

Originally posted by mightygorgon View Post
                      I bought a set with TD3 and VH11 lately, it definitely works. Also the set plays beautifully with BFD2. Supporting 3 way ride TMC6 sounds like a good idea for expansion and will possibly be in my next shopping list along with the roland ride.
                      Oh, nice!

What is this BFD2 everyone is talking about? i'm a noob on E-drums and i'm Swedish so i don't know so much about what's going on since everything is basically American^^
                      And what do you mean with TMC6 sounds? you mean like more drums that you've downloaded to the module via some program or something?
                      And i didn't know that the TD-3 supported a 3-zone ride? :P well then i guess that i'll be wishing me a CY-15R or a VH-11 for christmas! =)

Comment

TMC6 is a trigger to midi module. you hit the drums and get a midi signal sent to a PC.
                        on the PC the midi signal can be used to control a midi instrument like BFD2:
                        http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=53
                        TD-9KW

Comment

Originally posted by mightygorgon View Post
                          sounds like building a racing car from a beetle (...funny movies). TD3+TMC-6 costs as much as a TD-9 but does *not* offer the same possibilities. (Esp. because you cannot use the extra inputs for additional sounds). Personally, I would sell (the nice and useful) TD-3 when I see I want to take a further step into edrum-heaven - and use the money to make a better module affordable.
                          TD-3 + VH-11 is still a reason for a Zen meditation to me (like the clap of one hand...). You get better results with TD-9 + Pedal + Pad.
                          I guess, the next upgrade will be a TD-12.
                          CU, Stephan
                          TD-12, VH-11, CY-12,-8, PD 85, 80R, Yamaha Rack and Pads

Comment

Oh, nice!

What is this BFD2 everyone is talking about? i'm a noob on E-drums and i'm Swedish so i don't know so much about what's going on since everything is basically American^^
                            And what do you mean with TMC6 sounds? you mean like more drums that you've downloaded to the module via some program or something?
                            And i didn't know that the TD-3 supported a 3-zone ride? :P well then i guess that i'll be wishing me a CY-15R or a VH-11 for christmas! =)
                            TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                            ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                            not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by StevenK View Post
                              sounds like building a racing car from a beetle (...funny movies). TD3+TMC-6 costs as much as a TD-9 but does *not* offer the same possibilities. (Esp. because you cannot use the extra inputs for additional sounds). Personally, I would sell (the nice and useful) TD-3 when I see I want to take a further step into edrum-heaven - and use the money to make a better module affordable.
                              TD-3 + VH-11 is still a reason for a Zen meditation to me (like the clap of one hand...). You get better results with TD-9 + Pedal + Pad.
                              I guess, the next upgrade will be a TD-12.
                              CU, Stephan
                              It depends on one's needs I guess. I plugged my headphone into TD3 only once, and it was just to make sure it works. TD3 transfers CC4 info so that was all I needed from the unit in terms of hi-hat. Also BFD2 can do 32 drums simultaneously so in fact every extra input do count.
                              I'd even build myself one of those DIY converters if I had the time to, I don't feel like paying anything for the unit for features I don't plan to use.
                              Best Regards...

Comment

Working...
                              X