Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a splitter allow two pads--same sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a splitter allow two pads--same sound?

I would like to know if I use a standard splitter on my HIHAT input, could I place another cymbal pad in an alternate position and still have both triggers trigger the same hihat sound with out a glitch or false triggers due to the unusual hook up? As a follow up: Would they need to be the same type of pad to keep the module from misreading the sensitivity and such?
    BTW I use a TD12 module.
    TD20x. trick pedals. Butt kicker
    Psalm 150:5 Praise Him with resounding cymbals; praise Him with clashing cymbals.

Yes, you can use a regular stereo headphone double adaptor to achieve this. Make sure it is a single stereo plug (TRS) to two stereo (TRS) sockets.
    It would be best if you used two similar pads.

I have a few of these in my V Drums arsenal
    Last edited by SuperPuss; 08-10-08, 01:47 PM.

Comment

It has been done even with a CY-6 and a PD-7: Why not do both with a splitter cable?

Presumably you don't want to use up an extra input for this, but you can also use an Aux input for a second hi-hat pad and it will be controlled by the same pedal as long as it's set to a hi-hat sound.

Bruce

Comment

Wow, what a difference. It is so cool to have a hi hat on the right. I really needed to use the same triggers. I tried using PD8 and the CY8...way too different. I am using two CY8s, now. Works great. Thanks for your help.
        Psalm 150:5 Praise Him with resounding cymbals; praise Him with clashing cymbals.

Comment

You can chain a CY-12 off of a CY-12 which is useful - assign different head and rim sounds - works well for me. I also use the line-in on a KD-7 to run another (dissimilar) pad.
          HTH
          Cheers
          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by drum head )'> View Post
            I would like to know if I use a standard splitter on my HIHAT input, could I place another cymbal pad in an alternate position and still have both triggers trigger the same hihat sound with out a glitch or false triggers due to the unusual hook up? As a follow up: Would they need to be the same type of pad to keep the module from misreading the sensitivity and such?
            BTW I use a TD12 module.
            I'm wondering what the advantage is to buying a splitter....over just assigning the same sound to two different pads on the module?

Comment

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
              I'm wondering what the advantage is to buying a splitter....over just assigning the same sound to two different pads on the module?
              Just that it achieves the same without occupying an extra input. Or to put it another way, it frees up an input to be used for a different pad and sound.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                Just that it achieves the same without occupying an extra input. Or to put it another way, it frees up an input to be used for a different pad and sound.

Bruce
                exactly!
                It works great. I always wanted a remote Hihat. As a bonus, I noticed that my chest cavity is more opened up when playing the remote Hihat rather then playing cross-sticked. This has instantly improved my back-up vocals. (which I could use any help that I can.)

Comment

Originally posted by pchanning View Post
                  You can chain a CY-12 off of a CY-12 which is useful - assign different head and rim sounds - works well for me. I also use the line-in on a KD-7 to run another (dissimilar) pad.
                  HTH
                  Help me with this one: "chain" cy-12 to a cy-12?????

Comment

Originally posted by drum head )'> View Post
                    Help me with this one: "chain" cy-12 to a cy-12?????
                    ie: link 1 roland cymbal (cy-12) to another.
                    Cheers
                    Paul

Comment

Really silly question this . . . I have Aux 4 free on my TD20 and have just aqcuired a couple of PD8's - I'm wanting to plug them both in to AUX and have the head and rim of one pad triggering the head assigned to Aux 4 and the head and rim triggering the rim assigned to Aux 4.

To achieve this, do I simply need to create a new lead: standard input into the Aux 4, but then my first pad (L&R) only connecting to the Left component of the TRS and the second pad (L&R) only connecting to the Right component of the TRS.

. . . or am I making things difficult for myself.

Or am I missing a trick: could i use Aux 4 normally for one PD8, and is there a RIM sound on the Kick that I could access using the head and rim of my second PD8 (if so - how?!)
                      Andy
                      TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Oz DrumR View Post
                        Really silly question this . . . I have Aux 4 free on my TD20 and have just aqcuired a couple of PD8's - I'm wanting to plug them both in to AUX and have the head and rim of one pad triggering the head assigned to Aux 4 and the head and rim triggering the rim assigned to Aux 4.

To achieve this, do I simply need to create a new lead: standard input into the Aux 4, but then my first pad (L&R) only connecting to the Left component of the TRS and the second pad (L&R) only connecting to the Right component of the TRS.

. . . or am I making things difficult for myself.
                        Actually, you're not making things quite difficult enough! It's not quite that simple.

You need to either make the modified splitter cable described at Splitter for Dual Piezo inputs AKA TD-9, TD-12 or TD-20 Aux/Tom splitter Revisited, or buy the same thing; Roland Head and Rim Splitters for Sale, because there is no other way to do that.

Or am I missing a trick: could i use Aux 4 normally for one PD8, and is there a RIM sound on the Kick that I could access using the head and rim of my second PD8 (if so - how?!)
                        The kick input does have a rim part, but that input is even more difficult to split (because it's piezo/rim-switch only) and would require the special circuit described at; Building Keith Raper's Circuit

Bruce

Comment

Err . . . I might assign one pad to Aux 4, and use the other if I just want to have the sound of stick on rubber!
                          Andy
                          TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Err . . . I might assign one pad to Aux 4, and use the other if I just want to have the sound of stick on rubber!
                            ahhh, the thwack of stick on rubber, you could do worse you know ;p
                            Cheers
                            Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X