Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US to UK power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US to UK power supply

hi i have recently purchased a TD-8 from USA but i am looking to use it in uk.can anyone let me know if it is safe to use just a prong adaptor or do i need to convert the power supply.i have a roland AC adaptor ACI-120C
    INPUT:AC120V Hz 120V,60Hz,17W
    OUTPUT DC 9v 1000mA
    class 2transformer
    does this mean anything to anyone?
    dont feel like trying it until i can get it confirmed.james.

Originally posted by lejuames View Post
    hi i have recently purchased a TD-8 from USA but i am looking to use it in uk.can anyone let me know if it is safe to use just a prong adaptor or do i need to convert the power supply.i have a roland AC adaptor ACI-120C
    INPUT:AC120V Hz 120V,60Hz,17W
    OUTPUT DC 9v 1000mA
    class 2transformer
    does this mean anything to anyone?
    dont feel like trying it until i can get it confirmed.james.
    WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T PLUG THIS INTO A 240V SOCKET!

Firstly you will blow the adapter, also if the adapter is not output regulated you will probably blow your module too. Plus you will have to look in the dark for the circuit breakers you just tripped, and maybe even have to put out a small fire... ok a little exageration, but you get the point...

All you need to do is go to Maplin or similar and ask for a 9V DC adapter that can supply at least 1 Amp. You will need to get the output polarity correct (as it's DC), look on the original adapter and you should see a sign looking something like this:

(+)-Co-(-)

It basically tells you if it's centre (tip) positive or negative. The C represents the shield and the o represents the tip, and the sign next to the tip tells you pos or neg. The example above tells you its tip negative. If you are not sure, take the 120V adapter with you to the shop and ask them. They should know what they are doing. As long as you get a half decent PSU that gives at least 1A at 9V you will be fine.
    2Box Drumit5, DIY 12" Snare, 12" Floor Tom, 2x10" Toms. Acoustic cymbals w/DIY triggers, Triggera Krigg, Tama Iron Cobra Kick and Tama Roadpro HH stand. Tennis Ball Riser (not needed now I have the Krigg lol).

Comment

All you need to do is go to Maplin or similar and ask for a 9V DC adapter that can supply at least 1 Amp.
      Nah... just go to Maplin and get one of these.
      Just plug 'n play... I use one similar for my 110 volt gear I brought over from Canada
      On YouTube: Playing Drum'n'Bass live with TD12 and SPD-S: Gig in Budapest
      With TD20-KX on SoundCloud
      Now sporting a TD30KV kit....
      "Trust Me, I'm a Professional"

Comment

Originally posted by sox View Post
        Nah... just go to Maplin and get one of these.
        Just plug 'n play... I use one similar for my 110 volt gear I brought over from Canada
        I wouldn't recommend that. They are great for low wattage gear that's mains operated (I.e no DC adapter) and I use one with a games console that's directly wired, but they are very inefficient, quite expensive compared to just a proper DC adapter, and it's another piece of kit you have to remember to take with you if you move your drums (like to gigs).
        2Box Drumit5, DIY 12" Snare, 12" Floor Tom, 2x10" Toms. Acoustic cymbals w/DIY triggers, Triggera Krigg, Tama Iron Cobra Kick and Tama Roadpro HH stand. Tennis Ball Riser (not needed now I have the Krigg lol).

Comment

Your best bet is to contact Roland directly on 01792 702701 and order the correct power supply for it.

Just ask for the Spares department when you ring...I've always found them to be really helpful when I needed bits.

but they are very inefficient, quite expensive compared to just a proper DC adapter,
          Never had a problem with mine Cost me £11.99!
          On YouTube: Playing Drum'n'Bass live with TD12 and SPD-S: Gig in Budapest
          With TD20-KX on SoundCloud
          Now sporting a TD30KV kit....
          "Trust Me, I'm a Professional"

Comment

Working...
          X