Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to CORRECTLY tension mesh heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to CORRECTLY tension mesh heads?

So I just cleaned my mesh heads off of my new (to me) TD-10. They were disgusting. I used oxyclean and hot water. Holy crap! They honestly look brand new. So now to my problem. I have no idea how to tension them correctly. I don't have any documentation that came with the drums. The only tool I have at my disposal is a drum key. I hope that is all I need. Can someone point to a thread or explain exactly how to tension them? Thanks!

Go to http://www.roland.com and download the manual for your drum. It's all explained there.
    MegaDrum trigger to midi x 1,
    BFD 2,
    13" DIY snare,10", 12" and 14" DIY toms,
    VH-11 Hi-Hat x 1, Pearl RH-2000 Remote Hi-Hat,
    Hart ECII-12HHB Hi-Hat x 1,
    CY-12R/C Dual-Trigger Cymbal Pad x 1, CY-14C V-Cymbal Crash x 1,
    Hart ECII-16RB Ride x 1,
    13" and 14" Kit-Toys china,
    10" Kit-Toys splash,
    KD-8 Kick Trigger Pad x 1,
    Trick Pro1-V double bass pedal,
    MDS-6C Drum Stand x 1
    sigpic
    And ppl remember listen to Strapping Young Lad!

Comment

I use a drum torque. It tensions the head evenly. I believe the snare has positional sensing. The module will show you how tight you should tension the snare. Then I would tension the toms a little less then that. (I dont know if the td 10 has postional sensing on the toms or not) Like Ruffneck said I would download the manual. It is good to have anyways.

Vinny
      Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

There really is no trick. You just need to evenly tension the heads to your liking. I like them nice and tight.
        sigpic

Comment

I use an Ahead Drum Dial for nice consistent tuning.

Comment

The correct way is just like an acoustic head...just remember to tighten the lugs in small increments working across the head, not around in a circle. I like to imagine that I am drawing a 5-pointed star as I go around the lugs. 6-lug drums are even easier.
            A good page to read is the first couple of steps here:
            http://www.rockdrummingsystem.com/un...your-drums.php

Comment

Working...
            X