Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing drum module with recorded piezo waves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing drum module with recorded piezo waves

I'll see if I can make this a short one. Or not....

I have an Alesis Trigger IO. A DIY kit which you can see here. I have no drum experience, I'm not a drummer and can't do a tight roll to save my life. Combine them all and it makes it difficult for me to really test everything and determine what the real source of any problems are.

So, the general rule of thumb is that troubleshooting is a process of elimination. However, I have too many variables and no other products to test with. So, I'd like to start with my module, a Trigger IO, and test that it can truly handle all signal input correctly.

THOUGHT: Compile a collection of flawless raw piezo waves. Waves would be recorded raw from the piezo directly. Plug the output from the piezo into your DAW interface and record it. The collection of waves would include triggering of the piezo at various velocities, various speeds, would have to be various output levels in general, and combinations thereof. Then I can simply connect the outs from my DAW interface to the inputs of my Trigger IO, play piezo wavs from the collection, and test the Trigger IO as a stand alone device. Repeatable testing here we come!

Sounds like a perfect test bed as you'd have perfect piezo waveforms to output to the drum module to test it's actual performance by removing the actual drum kit from the equation which could be a huge source of potential problems.

It'd be a great way to quickly test new modules for compatibility such as the Trigger IO, MegaDrum, or whatever else comes to market. Someone could potentially make this a marketable niche product and sell it back to the manufacturers to use in their own product testing. That's me trying to bait the hook to give someone incentive for spending time recording raw piezo output.

So who wants to create a huge piezo waveform library for me?

OK, instead of a huge library I'd be happy if someone could share a handful of waves with various snare head playing. I'll feed it through my Trigger IO and share back the resulting output via Superior 2 for everyone's review.

The Trigger IO doesn't respond to a waveform as much as a voltage spike. I don't think your DAW will put out the same voltage as recorded. (i.e. unity gain) And if you could manage it, you would need to precisely calibrate the output strength to match the original. I am not saying it can't be done, I am just saying it won't be easy.

That being said, recording the piezo signals is easy. When I was writing a program to measure strikes, I just jacked the pad into my audio in and hit record!

When I am down in my studio later today, I will record a few for you.
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X