Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decent to low end vdrums??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent to low end vdrums??

Well, since I want the vdrum mostly for practice, which one would you recommend with a price range between 300-600$ (300-500e)??

I've been looking at these models on www.thoman.de (it's not only in german if you want to look at that web ) but I'm a total newbie:
    -285e, MILLENIUM MPS-100 E-DRUM STARTER SET
    -379e, MILLENIUM MPS-200 E-DRUM SPECIAL SET
    -475e, MILLENIUM MPS-400 E-DRUM STEREO SET
    -529e, MILLENIUM MPS-300/TD-3V SET
    -568e, MILLENIUM MPS-300/DM5 MESH SPECIAL SET

The first one description says something about "beginners and children", I guess that means "crappy and won't take much hits", so I nearly discard it.
    Not much more to say, I like playing most of metal music (heavy, viking, black, or trying to play it :P ), but I like funky/jazz too...
    That doesnt mean I'll only buy these ones, so any suggestion is good

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest a roland or a yamaha set...I bought a real cheap kit at first and it didnt last at all...nor do they well in comparative tests like in magazines like Studio - so make sure you listen to a kit first so that you are not disappointed in the sound....maybe second hand is the way to go if you cant afford more....

e-drumming is fun, but you'll only be disappointed if the sounds are poor....

I listen to viking, black, and symphonic and folk metal myself.
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
      I would suggest a roland or a yamaha set...I bought a real cheap kit at first and it didnt last at all...nor do they well in comparative tests like in magazines like Studio - so make sure you listen to a kit first so that you are not disappointed in the sound....maybe second hand is the way to go if you cant afford more....

e-drumming is fun, but you'll only be disappointed if the sounds are poor....

I listen to viking, black, and symphonic and folk metal myself.
      Ouch! I was praying for some kind of "that millenium sets are good" answer
      The real problem is that I've to buy a decent acustic drum (1000-2000e, maybe a little more) and I didn't want to add a lot to that with the vdrum... I thought that less than 500e could be enough, but for what you say that won't fit...

Well, making a direct translation from an expression "from lost to the river", I'll look at my account tomorrow and see if it fits . Which one of the next models would you choose??

-666e, ROLAND HD-1 PRACTICE E-DRUM
      -659e, YAMAHA DTXPLORER E-DRUM

From what I've seen, the pedal of the Roland doesn't have "mallet", but it seems it has better overall quality than Yamaha, but it's just a first guess and I'm probably wrong...

Comment

I just checked out some of these Millenium sets. I can't really find a good explanation of what the pads are made of, but they look like they may be some type of mesh material. Still, I would try to find a lot of reviews on this company's sets before going with one of them.

It's interesting the MILLENIUM MPS-300/TD-3V SET comes with the Roland TD-3 module which is an excellent starter module- much better than both the Yamaha DTxplorer and the Roland HD-1. Again, not being familiar with Millenium products, I would also recommend going with Yamaha or Roland.

Comment

I think the best advice is for you to keep saving your money until you have a budget that will allow you to buy better quality equipment. You generally get what you pay for when it comes to electronic percussion. The good kits aren't cheap.

If you go the cheap route, you'll only be disappointed when they break down or sound terrible. If you keep saving, you'll be able to get a kit that sounds better, lasts longer and makes you happier.

Best of luck.
          >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

I am not the best searcher on the net, but I couldnt find any decent reviews of the millenium, at least in english/Swedish/norwegian/ finnish, or even german....

I think its good if the millenium sets come with a td-3, so at least you know there are halfway decent beginner sounds....but the cheap set that I bought (not millenium), besides having bad sounds, also broke down from my bashing...

I think the problem with the hd 1 is that there are only one or two usuable kits there...and no way to expand when you want another tom, or another crash, etc...

I agree with Vader above: save your money until you can afford a kit you like and that will serve you for some years, and also check out second hand kits...and remember to test the kits to see what sounds good to your ears...

here is an alternate store to thomanns, this one has second hand and hot deals as well: http://www.osc.drum-tec.de/index.php?language=en

keep us informed of your decisions!

Comment

Originally posted by doxxon3 View Post
              I just checked out some of these Millenium sets. I can't really find a good explanation of what the pads are made of, but they look like they may be some type of mesh material. Still, I would try to find a lot of reviews on this company's sets before going with one of them.

It's interesting the MILLENIUM MPS-300/TD-3V SET comes with the Roland TD-3 module which is an excellent starter module- much better than both the Yamaha DTxplorer and the Roland HD-1. Again, not being familiar with Millenium products, I would also recommend going with Yamaha or Roland.
              The MILLENIUM MPS-300 kit is made by Medeli and is essentially the same as the any of the following kits (without the module of course):

Medeli DD-602
              Borgi Pro DD-662
              Kaysound DD-602
              Legend DD602
              Lloyd Audio LA7000
              Hayman DD602
              Fame DD602
              Pintech EZ
              Simmons SD5K
              OSP DD-502
              Alesis DM5Pro

The heads are mylar on top of foam. You can get a closer view of what the pads are like via this website: http://www.freewebs.com/nuskooltone/
              Hint... Click on the "Dismantle Pad" link.

- Ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by uglybassplayer View Post
                The MILLENIUM MPS-300 kit is made by Medeli and is essentially the same as the any of the following kits (without the module of course):

Medeli DD-602
                Borgi Pro DD-662
                Kaysound DD-602
                Legend DD602
                Lloyd Audio LA7000
                Hayman DD602
                Fame DD602
                Pintech EZ
                Simmons SD5K
                OSP DD-502
                Alesis DM5Pro

- Ugly.
                the medeli dd-602 was reviewed by Studio (Sweden) in tne november 2006 issue,,,on a scale of 10, it received marks as low as 4 in triggering and set-up, as well as playing 'feel'. It did get a 7, its high mark in user friendliness, and a 6 in value, witha 5 average....in the written review, the professional drummer who was the test driver said this set if for a real beginner, but the feeling of it being a real drum set disappears almost at once...itis also the noisest of the sets (comapred to the yamaha and roland kits) acoustically, ie., not the triggered drum sounds, but the sounds of the stick smacking the pads, which defeats the idea of quiet practice. more importantly,he was scathing in the review of the actual drum sounds. i cant find anywheres where is says what the actual drum module is...in the rest of the test, he gives a 9 (many 9s actually) to the TD-3, including sounds, so if you can get a millenium with the TD-3 brain, that solves one of the problem areas....

all in all, the test panel recommended people to skip this kit....

Comment

Go for a pre-owned TD3 or TD6. I think that is a smart investment, and you can easily expand from there.

Comment

The first piece of advice I would give is to avoid shopping from Thoman. They are far and away the most expensive retailers on the internet!!

Comment

First of all thanks for the replies!

Well I'm starting to like Roland TD-3, it seems quite good. As a summary:
                      -650-700e, Roland HD-1 & Yamaha DTXplorer
                      -700e, Millenium + TD-3 module
                      -800e, Roland TD-3

I prefer investing 100e more and having a better drum from the start. If I can get a little discount that would be nearly 700e, not much far away from the 500e I was thinking and it has much better quality. Well I'll be looking at ebay and if that doesnt work, I'll get that one from Thoman!

The only thing that really surprises my is this post:
                      Originally posted by adam1516 View Post
                      The first piece of advice I would give is to avoid shopping from Thoman. They are far and away the most expensive retailers on the internet!!
                      Damn it, I haven't seen better prices in any other place in Europe!! Even ebay is more expensive, maybe you're talking about another Thomann or you've had some sort of problem with them :S
                      Nevertheless, if you know a better priced shop, please tell me!!

Comment

Originally posted by Istarion View Post
                        Well I'm starting to like Roland TD-3, it seems quite good.
                        I think that's an excellent choice. It's a good piece of equipment, and it will hold its value well. If you decide to stick with the e-drums and your budget eventually enables you to upgrade, you'll easily be able to sell the TD-3 kit and recoup a good bit of your initial investment to finance the purchase of your next set.

Best of luck, and let us know once you make your final decision.
                        >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Originally posted by Istarion View Post
                          First of all thanks for the replies!

The only thing that really surprises my is this post:

Damn it, I haven't seen better prices in any other place in Europe!! Even ebay is more expensive, maybe you're talking about another Thomann or you've had some sort of problem with them :S
                          Nevertheless, if you know a better priced shop, please tell me!!

I think you made a wise decision....

I posted this before, but i'll repeat:
                          here is one place that promises to undercut Thomann, i havent dealt with them, but they say to make them an offer if you dont like the prices:

http://www.osc.drum-tec.de/index.php?language=en

also, i have to admit, our swedish shops will equal thomann's prices as well as providing a physical prescence, which makes customer service easier.....

keep the beat!

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
                            I think you made a wise decision....

I posted this before, but i'll repeat:
                            here is one place that promises to undercut Thomann, i havent dealt with them, but they say to make them an offer if you dont like the prices:

http://www.osc.drum-tec.de/index.php?language=en

also, i have to admit, our swedish shops will equal thomann's prices as well as providing a physical prescence, which makes customer service easier.....

keep the beat!

Comment

Working...
                            X