Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about a used TD10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about a used TD10?

Hi Everyone,
    First post here.

I'm new to drumming, although I have been playing other instruments for the last 20 years or so.

Lately I've been looking for an electronic set for practice purposes. It should be as close as possible to an acoustic; I'm particularly interested in realistic feel -- sounds are less important to me since I don't record and won't gig with it. Other features, such as built-in songs and stuff, are even less important.

My budget doesn't allow me much freedom of choice -- I can get a TD9-KX, which sounds fantastic to me, but I'm not sure about the feel.

Lately someone suggested me a used TD10, with all mesh pads (PD120, 3*PD100, mesh kick (dunno which one)) as well as CY-14 and CY-15 cymbals. It'll cost a little more than a new TD9KX, but maybe I can push my budget a little more for this.

What do you guys think about such an option? Is the TD10 obsolete compared to a newer module, or can still be used? Can you think of cons & pros for such a deal?

Thanks in advance,
    abe

Actually, the TD-10 still sounds good and delivers a lot of bang for the buck. That is why you still see them for $2000+ dollars. The best is to find an expanded one to give you the best sound they can produce.
    sigpic

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention we're talking about an expanded set.

Is this a good deal? or should I stick to a new TD9?

Comment

Actually, the only thing I can tell that's really different between the two kits is the kick drum, it's rubber on the TD9, mesh on the TD10.

I've mentioned elsewhere, a rubber kick drum sucks. When I switched to mesh, I was much happier.

The HH on both kits is static so you might have issues with that in terms of realistic feel.

As an exp TD10 owner albeit with no Roland pads, it's a fine module. OTOH, if you could somehow replace the upright rubber kick that comes with the TD9 kit in question with any mesh kit (be it Roland or Hart), you'd be fine with that as well.

In fact, if the TD9 has interval control (I don't know and am too lazy to read thru the massive TD9 thread), then you'll like that in the long run in terms of cymbal usage. The TD10 doesn't really allow for great cymbal swells on anything but 1-3 samples.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

well, apparently no interval control on the TD9.

what about the pad difference? how are TD10's PD120/100 compared to the TD9KX's PD105/85? size is one difference for sure, but are the newer 105/85 any better?

and thanks again -- you're all very helpful

Comment

Rim trigger is available on the pd105 but you can add that to the pd100 very easily. I never played on the rims of any acoustic set I had so I have never understood the rim trigger need. I guess you could assign other sounds to the rim but me personally, I would rather have a dedicated pad than using rim triggers.

I have a TD10 that I upgraded with a TD20 and VH12. I would never go with a TD12 or TD9 setup. They feel like a toy drumset when I sit behind them. I prefer the larger toms and larger rack but it is a personal choice.

Chris
            Last edited by csnow; 07-31-08, 09:33 AM.

Comment

I have the PD-125s, PD-105s, PD-120s and PD-100s on the same kit. They feel and trigger pretty much the same. The newer PD-125 has better rim triggering than the PD-120, but not hugely noticeable. The only place where it might matter is the snare. You could always upgrade down the road.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your answers & support.

I'm leaning towards the used TD-10, as I believe that bigger pads + mesh kick will produce a better, more realistic acoustic feel --- and that's what I'm looking for in an e-set.

Tom rim triggers are really not an issue (although, as csnow said, can be added quite easily).

Last batch of questions though:
                (a) does the TD-10 support 3-zone cymbals (CY14 & CY15)?
                (b) TD9 is told to have an improved hi-hat control with the FD8 & CY5; how's TD-10 in this aspect? (better hi-hat is out of reach right now...)
                (c) suppose I rig the PD-100s with a rim trigger, will the (expanded) TD-10 module support it, or this feature is supported by newer modules only?

And again, many thanks for your help.

abe

Comment

a) yes (if it is an expanded TD10)
                  b) Best highhat control is a TD12 or TD20 with the VH12. Otherwise, there is little difference between any of the models or triggers.
                  c) Not sure but I think so.

If you can afford it, I would get the TD10 and then upgrade as money and time permits. I would spend the extra money on getting a PC that can run Superior 2.0 and get a nice VH11 hi-hat to go with your kit. Look for some of Joe K's post in the Superior 2.0 thread. He uses a TD10 as a TMI to Superior.

Comment

Originally posted by abe View Post
                    (c) suppose I rig the PD-100s with a rim trigger, will the (expanded) TD-10 module support it, or this feature is supported by newer modules only?
                    No, a TD-10 (expanded or not) can't use tom rims with a mesh head (without a special DIY circuit).

Bruce

Comment

Ok, Thanks for all the info. You've been really helpful.

One last question (I promise!):

Talking with the seller - a very nice guy indeed - I found out that it's not a full TD-10 set, but rather a self-collected assembly which contains most of the components. The full list is:

TD10 expanded module, 1 PD120, 3 PD100s, KD85(?) kick, CY12H with FD7, CY14 & CY15. All mounted on a TD-12 rack. (image)

This setup is excellent for me -- being an absolute beginner, I don't need the extra tom and cymbal that comes with the full TD10 set, and also the smaller rack is better for my humble apartment.

Everything is in good shape and in good working condition, but no warranty of course.

He asks for ~$3K for this. Living is Israel, this is approx. $200 more than a new TD9KX in local prices.

So what do you say? is this a bit pricey or I should grab it while still available? or go for the TD9KX instead...?

And thanks again --- your advises & comments are truly appreciated.

Comment

He is asking too much. Since there is only one pd120, all of your toms would be 10 inch. I also don't like the red mixed with the white. Talk him down or go with the TD9.
                        Last edited by csnow; 08-01-08, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Talk him down.

http://tinyurl.com/My-E-kit

Comment

I don't know how things are for e-drums in Israel, but that sounds high. I got a full TD10ex (except with pads for the cymbals) for $1,600.00 US (purple). I found a black KD120 (can't tell the color is different unless you look hard) for $150.00 shipped from Denver (with a pedal too). With the cymbal difference you might be looking at about $2,000.00 or so here. But like I said, I don't know about the exchange rate for the shekel or what's available there.

Shalom
                            Bruce

Comment

Thanks. Actually, these were my thoughts too, but I wanted a second opinion.

Calculating the price differences is tricky; most of the sets cost here about 40-60% more than in the US. Plus only one retailer sells them, and its prices are not available online...

Anyway, I'll talk to the guy and try to talk him down to $2000. I'll let you know.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X