Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

I am outta drumpads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am outta drumpads

(just for the few who want to know)

I played 4 SIB system drumpads along with an acoustic (but triggered) bass drum and snare drum and real cymbals. A hybrid kit. At this moment I trigger all my acoustic drums. I sold the 4 drumpads because I wasn't longer satisfied with them.

I play in a loud rock band and there seems to be a kind of treshold (dynamics line) below which I can't decently trigger my drums. In practice room all the noise from the guitars, bass guitar and ofcourse my own JBL EON G2 monster resounds into the drumpads. As a result of which there are sometimes false triggers or missed triggers. Ofcourse the band must play less loud (do tell the guitarist) and ofcourse I can have my monitors on a different position. But that's not the reality. On stage the problems weren't that big, but we aren't on stage that much.

Second reason for selling the drumpads is the miss of a real feel. The air beneath my drumsticks. I have discussed this "feel" many times before on this board and always stated that the feel of real drums partly is between your ears. I still think it is, but being human too, I decided to change.
    I have tried to add some "air" to my drum sound with a reverb but found all reverbs sounding (reflecting) very un-natural. Ofcourse there is better equipment, but not for my small wallet.

Third reason is the miss of positional sensing on the tom toms (a ddrum4 drawback) and the fact that (for instance) press rolls aren't always press rolls. Know what I mean? When you play 8 fast strikes then every time the full sample length is given. Only the attack portion inside the sample suggests the ra-ta-ta-ta-ta sound. But with a boomy tom tom sound there still is that boomy tom tom sound. I think the ddrum3 did this better than todays ddrum4 , Vdrums and Yammie modules. On acoustic drums the drum shell's resonating and bottom head's vibration can be "stopped" or "shortened" neither (without taping them before), but the sound and (again) feel are different. Hope you all understand what I mean.

So today I made the next step in getting the ultimate hybrid kit with perfect drum sound (whatever that may be) and I am now playing a 5 piece Premier Genista kit with ddrum triggers, ddrum4 module and JBL EON G2.
    Robert

I have grown tired of ddrum's baffled pads (which are similar to what you used, I believe). I am waiting on my Hart Pro pads and soon I will be back to free-floating mesh. I have also been toying with the idea of buying a small 4-piece acoustic kit to trigger in conjunction with the ddrum stuff. But for now, I seem to have other expenses nagging at me...
    E-drums: TD-20, RT-5S triggers on snare/toms, KD-7s, VH12, CY-14Cs, CY-15R, Pintech splash.
    A-drums: Zickos (amber) w/ all Zildjians.

Comment

I thought about using mesh heades pads too (for a better feel) but that better feel sometimes ends up into a trampoline and with mesh heads you still don't have the vibe underneath your drumsticks which I describe. So I choose to use real drums

Yesterday I played for the first time with the kit. It was quite fatigue to play on acoustic drums again. Drumpads respond more easy. Nevertheless the mix of an acoustic and electronic sound was super.
      Robert

Comment

Working...
      X