Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticks

Hello. Nice site. I am new to V drumming. I woukd like to know what kind of sticks are recomended to use on a td-3. Thank you!

Use whatever stick feels most comfortable to you. While there are sticks marketed as being designed for use on electronic kits, you can use anything you like. The most important thing is that the sticks be in good condition, especially if you are using pads with mesh heads. Sticks with a lot of nicks on them or sticks with damaged tips can develop sharp edges that can prematurely wear or even puncture a mesh head. For that reason, it's best not to use the same pair of sticks on both your acoustic and electronic drum kits (if you happen to play both).

You also want to be sure that new sticks with nylon tips don't have a sharp seam on the tip that could damage the heads (just gently trim or file them down if you discover this problem - it's an easy fix).

Now, with all of that said, if you still want suggestions, I have used and been quite happy with Vic Firth eSticks. However, I've recently been trying out a pair of Zildjian anti-vibe sticks and have really enjoyed them. The anti-vibes are quite popular for use on electronic kits as they help to lessen the shock on your hands and wrists. You might want to give them a try if you are using a lot of rubber pads in your set.

Feel free to use the search function of this site and you'll find many, many, many more opinions regarding sticks.

Best of luck.
    >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Another Zildjian anti-vibe stick user here.

Michael

TD-3 upgrade in progress
      Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Ahead Sticks

I was using the Vic Firth Metal N's for a while. I like the weight. Takes me back to corps days. For lighter stuff I was using the Thomas Lang Vic Firth sticks.

Before long, I noticed pain in my elbow after long playing and switched to the Ahead Tommy Lee Studio series. Love them and the pain is mostly gone. I think that all Ahead sticks are inherently anti vibration.
        Frequent GAS Sufferer

TD-9, RMP-12, RMP-5 & SonicCell on Gibraltar Quad Stands.

Comment

I use both the Zildjan anti vibe and the Vic Firth e-sticks...I prefer the latter...mostly because the little rubber knob at the end of the Zildjan's irritates me as it rubs against my palm.....
          TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
          ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
          not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Thank you for the information!

Comment

I have tried the anti-vibes, but I feel they are a bit short. The weight length and balance of the Vic Firth American Jazz series is perfect for me, and since you don't need to bash the e-drums, their lightness is a plus.

Comment

I use Zilldjan dipped (rubber coated) 5As with a nylon tip. Great balance, good length and very hard to slip out of your hands even when soaked in sweat!
                TD9KX w/KD-120 kick, VH-11 HH, PD-125 snare, CY-8 crash, Gibralter double pedal :cool:

Comment

JonLibra, these guys obviously don't have a clue and are giving you some really bad advice. If you are going to play electric drums, you need to use electric sticks. They have been a part of my signature for years!
                  Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Comment

use whatever is comfortable for YOU. ive been using 7a-s mostly. i hate nylon tips. ive never felt the need to buy fancy made for electric drum sticks. been playing electronic drums since the days of simmons with the hard table top like pads and never needed anything but good wood tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo View Post
                        ... If you are going to play electric drums, you need to use electric sticks
                        Do you use the plug-in type or the battery powered ones?

Comment

Originally posted by hiwaycallin View Post
                          I have given up on the plug-in type and now use the wireless exclusively. There are pro's and con's for using each type and some possible work arounds. I've been using them for years. Allow me to share this post from many moons ago...

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showpost...8&postcount=15
                          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by hiwaycallin View Post
                            surely he can get solar-powered ones now? much mpre environmentally friendly...and they should be coming out with electricly powered sticks where the juice is created by the normal stick movement....
                            TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                            ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                            not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
                              surely he can get solar-powered ones now? much mpre environmentally friendly...and they should be coming out with electricly powered sticks where the juice is created by the normal stick movement....

Ah, but those would suck during long night or indoor gigs. The sticks would have to be ENORMOUS to house solar batteries large enough to get through the night! Sorta like those one's Bun E. Carlos used to play!

Last edited by Fullback32; 07-31-08, 10:02 AM.
                              Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
                              "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X