Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OMG!! ATH-M50 Headphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG!! ATH-M50 Headphones

I finally brokedown and purchased the the ATH-M50s from my local GC... As you can probably tell from the title, I'm very impressed... I also own the Sony 7506 and AKG-240S headphones. I like the Sony's, but they're so "bright" they wear me out after a while. The AKGs are easy on the ears but by design they're not (noise reducing) so you get stick noise when using them..

So, here's my opinion of the M-50s... I realize headphone choice is subjective, but in case you're in the market, here's my take:

Pros: Excellent Highs/Lows/Mids... (Seriously, they sound wonderful)
    Well built (very comfortable/no slippage)
    Total isolation (No outside noise at all)
    NO distortion (Even at high volumes "believe me, they get very loud,"
    there is no distortion at all)

Cons: Cost ($149.00)
    Sweat Factor (Yep.. They fit quite tightly and will cause a breakout of
    moisture around your ears)
    Cord (Instead of the wonderful system AKG uses, ATH uses the spiral
    type which could be problematic to some users).

The sound reproduction is truly amazing. Very deep resonant sound and very accurate. I really loved the 7506s so I did a comparison with the two using my Zune while playing the TD-20... Wow... The 7506s sound so "shallow" now compared to the M50s...

I know not everyone will agree, but it's only an opinion and maybe it will give someone out there a direction to take when looking for cans...

BTW... I've really missed you guys.. We've been working on our home to get it ready to sell, so I had the TD20s locked up in storage for a while.. I had major withdrawals and had to self medicate by reading the forum and soaking in the info you guys posted while I was away...

I will be completely re-energized after tomorrow night.. Cheap Trick/Heart/Journey will be performing in Oklahoma City!!! I'll be there thinking about you guys.... NOT!!!!!!!!!

Sweat factor?
    You might want to try a pair of these.
    They really work great and they seem pretty 'transparent' sound wise.

I've had a pair for a few years and I just wash them every once in a while.
    They're holding up well.

Comment

I love the ATH-M50s. They are my main cans now. They are best headphones under $200 in my opinion. They are very accurate and I use them for mixing as well as drums. If you want hyped bass, stay away.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
        I love the ATH-M50s. They are my main cans now. They are best headphones under $200 in my opinion. They are very accurate and I use them for mixing as well as drums. If you want hyped bass, stay away.
        Michael... I couldn't agree with you more!! They really make playing alot more enjoyable for me..

Comment

Originally posted by Perkussion View Post
          Sweat factor?
          You might want to try a pair of these.
          They really work great and they seem pretty 'transparent' sound wise.

I've had a pair for a few years and I just wash them every once in a while.
          They're holding up well.
          Thanks for the tip bro.. I may have to check those out.. I sweat like a freakazoid when I play..

Comment

It was the recommendations of those here at vdrums.com that prompted me to check out the ATH-M50s and ultimately get them as well. LOVE them also.

Comment

Mine are the Sony MDR-780 headphones. I can't say anything but that I really like them.

Stijn
              'lectric drumma
              Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

another one bites the dust.
                I just got back from my local GC store to buy the ATH-M50, they had to order them from the warehouse so it will be a few days before i can try them out but i did get them
                for 119.99 out the door

Comment

Originally posted by rickflor View Post
                  ...but i did get them
                  for 119.99 out the door
                  That's a darned good price. Hope you get them in hand before they discover the error...

Comment

Wow - you see the price as a con. In Australia, they're $350 or more!!
                    . digitalDrummer
                    Review index

Comment

Yeah, I think a lot depends on where you live. I bought my Sony's for a bit over 100,00 €, but I remember looking them up on the internet. I think in US, they were over double of what I payed them...

Stijn
                      'lectric drumma
                      Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
                        It was the recommendations of those here at vdrums.com that prompted me to check out the ATH-M50s and ultimately get them as well. LOVE them also.
                        Same here. Very happy with them.
                        TD9 Frankenkit

Comment

I was going to get some molded ear plugs so I could wear them live too. But are cans a lot better? (I'll go search the headphone thread too...)

I've currently got a set of Bose cans but the left speaker is low and I've been wanting to replace or have them fixed. I used to have a set of molded ear plugs I paid $200 for but my wife's pug got ahold of them.

Comment

I was considering getting molds done for my UM-2's but after some research decided against it. What I got out of it was you need a really good seal or the bass will be worse and that they just don't compete with 45 or 50 mm drivers in a set of cans.
                            Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I am still looking for a decent pair of headphone and the Bayer DT770s are top of my list. The ATH-M50s do seem nice, but I am worried about their bass responce.. They show that they go as low as 15hz, where as the DT770s 5hz.

Considering that my reason for wanting to change is that my current Senheisers 'flap' with the bass drum (especially with the VEX kits), i want something which can handle the bass.

How well do the ATH-M50s handle bass?

Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X