Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra inputs: TMC-6, TD-3, TD-6 or Alesis I/O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra inputs: TMC-6, TD-3, TD-6 or Alesis I/O

Hey guys

Just thinking out loud... to max out the inputs of a TD-20, what would be best - price-quality. Which one to prefer over the other, and why?

I guess in any way, you loose the COSM-features of your TD-20 when you use MIDI?

Maybe material for a small discussion...

Thanks!

Stijn
    'lectric drumma
    Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

You don't lose the COSM functions on your module when using midi but the total number of sounds the module can use with full COSM editing are limited. If a few of your TD20 trigger inputs are not making use of the COSM sounds, you can assign them to sounds accessed via midi.

There's a fair bit on the TMC-6 in THIS thread and I posted some info on accessing COSM sounds via my TMC-6 HERE

Comment

EVerything has its tradeoffs.

The TMC-6 will work great with Roland Pads, but you only get 7 inputs. 5 single and 1 dual. Programming is flexible and you can assign different MIDI channels and program change messages to pads.

The Alesis has 10 dual inputs, but people have reported problems with it. Other's love it. For a trigger to MIDI unit, it is the best bang for your buck.

The TD-3 has MIDI and sounds. You can find them used cheap.
      sigpic

Comment

Oh, I thought you can't use COSM with a TMC-6... And I thought the inputs were dual trigger... So you can't even use a piezo/rim-switch pad... Sad actually.

If I'm right, a TD-3 has 9 inputs? Are they single or dual trigger?

Is the TMC-6 still available? Or discontinued? I can't find it anymore on the Roland website...

Thanks!

Edit: thinking of it... Any reason why one wouldn't use e.g. a http://www.musicstore.de/nl_NL/BEF/D...DRU0015683-000. Again, I can't remember, those inputs... single, dual, piezo/piezo (guess not), piezo/rim switch. And wasn't there a thread somewhere about a DIY module/trigger-MIDI interface?

Stijn
        Last edited by 'lectric drumma; 07-17-08, 12:39 PM.
        'lectric drumma
        Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Been looking around a bit on the internet and remembered that the HDI-site had some explanations on the different modules... Here it goes:

http://www.hartdynamics.com/modules/tmc6.htmlhttp://www.hartdynamics.com/modules/td3.html --> same question... So for choking cymbals, you would have to use the cymbals on this unit?

http://www.hartdynamics.com/modules/dm5.html --> found my answer. 12 inputs, all single trigger. And not chokeable, as stated.

Thanks!

Stijn - feels some G.A.S. coming up
          'lectric drumma

Comment

Originally posted by 'lectric drumma View Post
            And I thought the inputs were dual trigger... So you can't even use a piezo/rim-switch pad... Sad actually.
            BarT set me straight on this. You CAN use piezo/switch pads on every trigger. Only Trigger 2 can do a piezo/piezo switch. Since I only use mesh pads with my TMC-6, I didn't know this.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
              BarT set me straight on this. You CAN use piezo/switch pads on every trigger. Only Trigger 2 can do a piezo/piezo switch. Since I only use mesh pads with my TMC-6, I didn't know this.
              http://www.drum-tec.de/modules-c-76.html
              'lectric drumma

Comment

The TMC versus TD3 price tag has been puzzling me for a while as well. I would choose a TD3 over it any time.

The apparent advantage of a TMC is being able to assign different MIDI channels to each indivitual trigger input as MIchael pointed out earlier...

Pim
                Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

The TMC-6 is way overpriced. Go with a TD-3 unless you need one of the features only in the TMC-6.

But that Alesis Trigger IO is looking more and more attractive.

What have people heard as the downside to the Alesis?
                  sigpic

Comment

Bejeweled One:

UTFSE.

Heh heh, seriously, if you poke around here and over at edrumming, I believe Joe provided an extensive rundown on the problems he had with the Alesis I/O. It strikes me as a piece of hardware not quite ready for primetime.

Also, don't forget something like a Roland PM-16 (tons of trigger inputs and MIDI output but be aware of the limitations) or something like a TD7. Tons of inputs there, more control, MIDI output, works well (once you figure it out) with a higher end module. I'd get a TD7 over and Alesis I/O fwiw.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                    TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                      UTFSE.
                      heh - I did read the entire Joe_K thread. But it has been a year since that started. There might be new experiences to share!
                      sigpic

Comment

True. Either that or Joe's experiences frightened off a lot of potential users.
                        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

I read that thread - after I bought the I/O. Honestly, I felt that the issues were mostly Roland pads used with the I/O. All my pads are single input home brew, and I built 16 of 'em. Why? cuz I had a PM-16 at the time. I didn't wanna waste an input, because that would be, well, silly.

Anyway, the IO is a 4 out of 5 stars for me.. It meets all of my expectations, AND gave me more functionality than I was used to. If I were comparing it to a TD-8, TD-10, TD-12 or a TD-20, I am sure I would find failings, but I am comparing it to my old PM-16. I think it works great, especially for the price. I think a lot of folk forget that you do get what you pay for. Expecting the world from a $150 module when there are $1500 modules on the market, are you surprised that it only has 10% of the capability for 10% of the cost? In reality, the I/O gives you probably 50% capability at 10% of the cost. Mighty fine ROI on that.. But if you need the other 50%, you will be disappointed. I think it is expectations vs. design. The IO was pretty much built to:
                          Give basic functionality for at-home PC recording (garage band) folks.
                          It really does work well with BFD Lite 1.5, and basic pads and eCymbals. I bought the Pintech single zone choke cymbals because I knew the limits of my module, and I didn't want to disappoint myself. Granted, I am planning / saving for a DTXIII Extreme module, which will up the ante on components I will be able to use, but the I/O will still have a place for it's uses.

I guess I am saying, have reasonable expectations for the IO. It's not the greatest module, but it's probably the greatest module for it's price.
                          Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX. Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.
                          sigpichttp://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=353

Comment

Originally posted by Pimenta View Post
                            The apparent advantage of a TMC is being able to assign different MIDI channels to each indivitual trigger input as MIchael pointed out earlier...
                            OK. And that means...? I'm totaly new to MIDI, never used it.

Originally posted by grog
                            Bejeweled One:

UTFSE.
                            I know...

I remember the thread about the Alesis I/O, but never really read it, since it was about the Alesis I/O, and I wasn't going to buy it anyway. And now, getting a G.A.S.-push again, something (I think those stupid little voices in my head) are directing me to Roland again...

Michael, I believe it was you who had the Hart Multipad modified, right? A modified one could be used (read splitter) with TD-3 and TMC-6, correct? Another small question I used to know the answer to, but forgot... For using 2 pads out of one input (piezo/piezo), you need to máke an splitter yourself, right? And for splitting an input (piezo/rim switch) you can use whatever splitter? Or was it rather about the pads you're going to use?

Thanks!

Stijn
                            'lectric drumma

Comment

Stijn,

Let's say you wanna use the toms from Toontrack's Superior 2 with BFD2's hi-hat for example. In my case with Tracktion 3 .. I open an instance of Superior ... using MIDI channel 10 to receive MIDI and another one for BFD2 using channel 11 ... within the TMC one cam program the toms to send MIDI through channel 10 ... and the hi-hat through channel 11.

Pim
                              Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

Working...
                              X