Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prefer CY8 over CY5 for hihat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prefer CY8 over CY5 for hihat

I tried a friend's CY8 and a CY5 on hihat and much preferred the CY8. Better feel and response. Was the CY5 faulty? I have none other to compare it with. Anyway, I bought a CY8 and it feels great to play (well, compared with a PD7..)
    TB-8K V-Drums - CY-15R Ride - CY-12R/C Crashes X2
    CY-8 (hihat) - Apple Mac G5 dual 1.3 - 10.4.11/10.5.7 - Logic 7.2.3 - Logic 8

Personal preference...I like the cy-5, I find the 8s to be too hard and noisey...I use the 8 only for crashes.
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

I used a CY-8 for a short time (as a HH), but I prefer the CY-5 as my HH and that's what I've stuck with so far. To tell you the truth, I can't really remember exactly why -- I did the [CY-8 as HH] experiment about 2 1/2 years ago. My kit originally came with the PD-8 as high hat, which definitely bugged me. I tried switching in a CY-8 for a while, but that didn't seem right either and I really wanted to use it more for a second crash anyway. Eventually, I kind of got used to the PD-8 and it started bugging me less, but then the CY-5 became available and I ordered it and was pretty much instantly semi-satisfied as soon as I hooked it up. [I say "semi-satisfied" because I would rather have a VH-11, but short of that, the CY-5 is suiting me fine]. Like I said, I don't remember exactly why, but I didn't get that same satisfied feeling with the CY-8 (as HH).

YMMV, of course. It all comes down to personal preference. If the CY-8 does it for you, that's what you should stick with! It's certainly not like one "sounds" better than the other, as the sounds are in the module (or software, if you have yours hooked up to a computer).

Comment

We need a "taste test". I'd bet that if anyone was blindfolded they wouldn't be able to feel or hear the difference between playing a CY-5 or CY-8 hi-hat.

Bruce

Comment

I too prefer the cy-8. It had more move to it and looked better

Comment

I like the shape of the CY-8 better than the CY-5. It's shaped more like a real hihat. I also prefer the playing surface. I found the CY-5 too hard compared with the CY-8. The CY-8 seems to have more give - like a real hihat. But most importantly, for my playing style the triggering was a bit weird on the CY-5, especially for accents. I tried all the velocity curves, too. Log2 works nice on the CY-8 for me with a sensitivity of 10 (or as nice as it could for a CY-8/TD8 setup).
            TB-8K V-Drums - CY-15R Ride - CY-12R/C Crashes X2
            CY-8 (hihat) - Apple Mac G5 dual 1.3 - 10.4.11/10.5.7 - Logic 7.2.3 - Logic 8

Comment

Working...
            X