Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner's questions about kick pedal and training DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner's questions about kick pedal and training DVD

Hey fellows,

I'm a total beginner who's waiting for his TD-9 (standing in line like everybody else). In the meantime I'm shopping around for a kick pedal and a training program (DVD and/or books).

What's the best beginner's course you guys might have run into?

And what relatively cheap pedal would you recommend I get to begin with?

Thanks a lot!

IMO... if I had the spare cash, I would probably get the Trick Drums Pro 1-V 'Bigfoot' Double Pedal, but for now I just use a gibraltar double pedal, and Tama Iron Cobra Single and a couple of Sonor very basic single pedals

if you're a beginner, unlike myself (I say that only cuz it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks), and If I could start fresh I would probably spend time checking out:

http://www.ballisticdrums.com/

only because, this dude helps with mutiple limb independence....

oh yeah, and also, one of my fav's is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Lang

(this guy's a psycho...he can do more with his hands and feet than most two drummers can) check out his DVD Creative Coordination & Advanced Foot Technique (or something like that)
    Gmbydmit
    DW Acoustics,TD-20, SPD-S, DrumKat 3.8, DK10,etc,etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Gorecki View Post
      Hey fellows,

I'm a total beginner who's waiting for his TD-9 (standing in line like everybody else). In the meantime I'm shopping around for a kick pedal and a training program (DVD and/or books).

What's the best beginner's course you guys might have run into?

And what relatively cheap pedal would you recommend I get to begin with?

Thanks a lot!
      For REAL beginners stuff, ie never touched a drum before, like me, I recommend the DVD from Hal-Leonard 'play drums today' by scott schroedl (cheap and you should get through it quickly, but it teaches to basics); the books: ultimate realistic rock drumming, by carmine appice and Progressive Heavy metal drumming by Jim Latta. Realistic rock drumming is more advanced, Latta's book good but I also got through it rather quickly. Also, 'Mel Bay's Rock Drumming and soloing methods' is very good. the books come with Cds, so you can hear what you are supposed to be playing..

Mel Bay, Hal Leonard and berklee press publish many other books and dvds, at various levels.

hope your TD 9 arrives quickly, i had to wait only 5 days!
      TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
      ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
      not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
        hope your TD 9 arrives quickly, i had to wait only 5 days!
        Well it's been a week today, so I've got you beat.

Thanks for the answers, man!

Comment

I'm a newbie myself, and I rent from Netflix. They have quite a bit of DVD's in stock to check out and there's a way to copy these, but you didn't hear that from me....

I really like the Tommy Igoe DVD's, but I bought the Jack Bennett collection. I'm only on the 2nd DVD so far, but for the amount of DVD's you get, you really can't beat his price.

As far as the kick, I went with the DW8000. I originally had a DP Pacific ($99) but you get what you pay for. Even being a newbie at this, I really hated that pedal (not much in the way of tweaking). So I spent the money to buy a nice one that I shouldn't have to replace in a long long time.

I also downloaded EZdrummer. This is more or less a way for me to hear beats and try to replicate them. I think most are using this as a VST setup.

Good luck...

Comment

Buy the best pedal you can afford. If you're struggling with the equipment you're not going to develop you technique the way you'd like. Keep an eye on ebay--sometimes you can get very nice pedals pretty cheap because someone bought a direct drive and couldn't get used to the feel.

http://tinyurl.com/My-E-kit

Comment

Working...
            X