Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need pedal/trigger advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need pedal/trigger advice

Ok, so kind of a multi part question. I've got two KD-7 triggers that I'm fine with so far. I've been wanting to replace the pedals I used now (Mapex, don't like them that much, they're ok, but not terribly smooth and they rattle a bit) with Pearl Eliminators. I was going to get a new KD-8 and use a double pedal, but I was talking to someone that's really good at double bass who uses a Pearl Eliminator double pedal, and he seemed to think it was a good thing that I was using two single pedals because the double pedals always feel just a little off on the left foot. Any thoughts?

So is there much of a difference in KD-7 vs KD-8, I don't really see the need to get a mesh head kick trigger, I've never owned an acoustic bass drum before. One of the things I was thinking was that the KD-7s need the reverse beaters, and they only make the felt head ones. Does anyone think it makes a difference on a rubber trigger with the kind of beater head?

Thanks
    TD-20, TD-6V, Hart Pro Snare, PD-80, PD-100 x2, PD-120 Toms, Hart II E Ride, 13" Crash, Jman 16" Crash, 18" China, 12 &10 inch DIY Splash, CY-5 splash, VH-11 hihat w/ Iron Cobra Stand, 2 KD-8 w/ Pearl Eliminator pedals.

Well lots of things going on in your head on this one. Beaters and pedals are a personal choice, and we will all have a diff thing to say. In terms of felt or rubber mallets on the kick is only really important when using mesh heads. It is advised that felt not be used on mesh heads as it can damage the mesh. After saying that I know a lot of guys using them. The only thing to think about is that it can dampen the impact when using rubber pads, and I would advise a rubber mallet would be my choice on rubber kick pads.

In terms of the pedals, again very personal choice. If you purchase good double pedals you will not notice any difference between you left and right. I use Tama Iron Cobra, and they have so many adjustments and counter weights that you can get them how you want. However you will pay a lot more for good pedals. If you are short of cash you could use two less expensive pedals for left and right, but somtimes is cost less to just get a good double.

I am very happy with my pedals, but if you want speed the Axis pedal are great, but they are about half again the price of the Iron Cobra's. It's a bad thing really, but the Honey takes the Money.

Can't help you on the kick pad choice as I have not use either of those, but you need a bigger pad if you are using double pedals for both the mounting of the pedal and to keep the beaters as close to center as you can for good triggering.

Rock On
    Mardy

Comment

I have a KD-7 and a KD-8 but don't feel much difference between the two. Some people have had trouble getting the second beater of a double pedal on a KD-8 as loud as the first, though that shouldn't be an issue if you can get them both the same distance from the center.

Roland do sell a plastic inverted beater; Kick Beater Black Plastic w/ Angled Rod, as well as the felt; Kick Beater White Felt w/ Angled Rod (KDB-7)

Bruce

Comment

Kd-7 & Kd-8

I currently have both KD-7's and a KD-8 with a double pedal on my setup. As it has been said, pedals are very much up to the individual.

On my KD-7's I like to have a DW 4000 that has the accelerator sprocket. I tried a DW 5000 with the accelerator on a KD-8 at my drum shop and hated it. Then tried the DW 7002 with the turbo sprocket, and loved it. So that is the way I went. Accelerator sprockets on the reverse beater KD-7's and a straight turbo sprocket with the upright KD-8.

You're only real solution is to try a variety of pedal and trigger combinations if you can.
        Frequent GAS Sufferer

TD-9, RMP-12, RMP-5 & SonicCell on Gibraltar Quad Stands.

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post

Roland do sell a plastic inverted beater; Kick Beater Black Plastic w/ Angled Rod, as well as the felt; Kick Beater White Felt w/ Angled Rod (KDB-7)

Bruce
          Oh COOL! I hda no idea they sold a plastic beater, I saw another company had a wood one that was inverted, pintech I think, but that's great to know, I should get a couple... Thanks. Oh, and thanks everyone for the advice.
          TD-20, TD-6V, Hart Pro Snare, PD-80, PD-100 x2, PD-120 Toms, Hart II E Ride, 13" Crash, Jman 16" Crash, 18" China, 12 &10 inch DIY Splash, CY-5 splash, VH-11 hihat w/ Iron Cobra Stand, 2 KD-8 w/ Pearl Eliminator pedals.

Comment

Working...
          X