Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

external midi recorder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• external midi recorder?

HI all.
    Does anyone know where and how can I find a simple portable hardware midi recorder with both Midi IN and OUT?

I'm looking to record only the midi data, and then take this equipment to my house to edit it on my computer.

Thanks.

ittyMIDI Palm IIIxe bundle for $120?

(May need the optional Converter box for an extra $85.)

Bruce

Comment

Thanks Bart....Well, I think $205 for just a midi recorder is too expensive. I don't need it to be that portable. Just some piece of hardware with both Midi IN and OUT that can records the midi data I send from my triggers.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Comment

I think most alternatives are either much more expensive or very old, but I'll be very interested to see if anyone else has a reasonable suggestion.

Bruce

Comment

Look for a used Brother PDC-100 which go for less than $100.

Comment

Thanks...
            Couldn't find any on ebay, but found one on some web page for $50. I just emailed the guy asking if he is still selling it.

Comment

Just bought it for $50.....thanks Vectron and Bart.

Comment

Strange how MIDI (hardware) recorders have virtually disappeared though ... that one's 17 years old.

Bruce

Comment

Yeah....it's weird......

Couldn't buy it..........After several emails, i told the guy: "yes, I'll buy it....I live in Laredo, Texas", that's when I post here telling you that I just bought it.

He then told me, "uuu sorry, I thought you were living in Sernia, Ontario. I don't want to deal with shipping."

Therefore, I'm still on the search.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Too bad I sold mine a few months ago, because it was just sitting around and getting unused.

Comment

Yeah...I guess I'll just carry my laptop and midi interface over there........

I wanted to buy one because I didn`t want to carry my laptop. I guess I have no other option.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by hcantu View Post
                        Yeah...I guess I'll just carry my laptop and midi interface over there........

I wanted to buy one because I didn`t want to carry my laptop. I guess I have no other option.

Thanks.
                        Hi, I have the same need like you.
                        a simple external device which can record
                        midi data to memory stick from the keyboard when played,
                        then I bring the memory stick to computer to edit.

just found this site :
                        http://www.lehmayr.de/e_mrmidi.htm
                        http://www.sdmidicontroller.com/

it seems the device is in my expactation....
                        but too bad...it's DIY project, which I can't do it...:-(

Another option for me, is to find info on the net
                        since my psr570 can record music but the file is saved in flopy-disk
                        whether i can change this flopy-drive to a pen-drive.

anyway I still hope there is somewhere
                        the kind of this device which is ready to used...
                        Last edited by reko; 08-09-08, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                          Strange how MIDI (hardware) recorders have virtually disappeared though ... that one's 17 years old.
                          Not that strange. Two factors: Manufacturers just started putting Sequencing into everything to the point where it became so ubiquitous, dedicated hardware device that only did sequencing became a very low demand. Second, people began having the luxury of these large Computer Monitors to run "Piano Roll" style interfaces on the computer and use a mouse.

IMO, for a portable MIDI recorder, might as well just reuse somebody's old laptop, add quality MIDI I/O and some second hand sequencing app. All you'll ever need, as far as MIDI is concerned. It just doesn't take much in the way of horsepower. I was using an original version Cakewalk on a 486sx with an original MidiMan interface driving and recording several external synths at once ... it was rock solid ... back in the day, that system cost a small fortune. Today, I can only imagine how low I might be able to obtain it.

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
                          | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

There still are MIDI data recorders made and used out there...
                            MIDI File Player recorders
                            These are just the first ones that came up on a quick search...nowadays they even take compact flash and have USB ports.

Edirol do one as well : Edirol MIDI player
                            On YouTube: Playing Drum'n'Bass live with TD12 and SPD-S: Gig in Budapest
                            With TD20-KX on SoundCloud
                            Now sporting a TD30KV kit....
                            "Trust Me, I'm a Professional"

Comment

Originally posted by sox View Post
                              There still are MIDI data recorders made and used out there...
                              MIDI File Player recorders
                              These are just the first ones that came up on a quick search...nowadays they even take compact flash and have USB ports.

Edirol do one as well : Edirol MIDI player
                              The OP asked for a portable recorder. Unless I'm missing something on those product datasheets, they are only players.

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
                              | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Working...
                              X