Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-3SW or TD-6SW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-3SW or TD-6SW?

Total noob here, wanting to get started on playing drums but need to go electronic due to space/noise considerations.

I want to buy new and reserve the option for re-selling on eBay if I don't decide to stick with it (obviously eating the difference between new price and used as the 'price' of my usage of the kit)... So, with that in mind, what do y'all suggest from these two choices:

1- TD-6SW on clearance at a local store for $1200. Make that $1300 with tax, plus needing a throne and a pedal (and sticks), so maybe call that $1400.

2- TD-3SW kit from kraftmusic with a throne, pedal, headphones and sticks for $1090, no tax and free shipping.

I've spent a few hours reading this forum and see a couple of upsides and downsides with each.

TD-6- Discontinued and therefore cheaper than it WAS, roughly $600 less than its successor at the retail level... But of course it's now discontinued and not as desirable as its successor. Has more flexibility and can be updated with downloadable drum sounds (VEX). Seems to have the same individual bits as the TD-3 but has a nicer rack.

TD-3- Newer, theoretically better sounds than the TD6 within the limits of its smaller library of sounds. Obviously cheaper and more complete package, but might be limiting if I really get bitten and want to upgrade. The parts are largely the same as the more expensive kits but the rack is not as nice and the "re-sell-ability" of the TD-3 brain is marginal.

I hope this is enough info for someone to pipe in and help out an unrepentant newbie. It would be helpful if noone came along and suggested getting the TD-9 (or worse!), as that's way out of the price range.

Basically, it comes down to "is the TD-6 brain and the better rack worth the extra $300, or should I go with the TD-3 and upgrade later if I stick with it?"?

You could buy used, check out a Roland td 8 kit. Prices are not bad on ebay and the td 8 is a great mod. I have one with a converted mapex.

Keep us updated
    Vinny
    Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

But should I be concerned about the non-dual-trigger issue with the TD-8 brain?

Generally, I'm uncomfortable buying something this expensive on eBay to begin with....

Comment

Personally, as the owner of both a TD-3 and TD-6V, I preferred the TD-6V. It definitely offered more flexibility, had more sounds and so on. It was my primary module for several years and the TD-3 was there for expansion. The TD-3 does use a newer sound set (subset of the TD-20) but despite that, I still used the TD-6V as the primary. When I upgraded to a TD-12, I used the TD-6V as my expansion module as it has LOTS of many more percussion instruments and other sounds to choose from. The TD-3 has been retired...and even though I was asking much less for it than others on Ebay, I got NO bids. Just something to think about.

but might be limiting if I really get bitten and want to upgrade
        There is no if...resistance is futile. The rack of the TD-6 kit will probably serve you better in your upgrade efforts, and like I said, the TD-6V modules is a really nice one for expansion once you do upgrade.
        Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
        "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Fullback32 View Post
          There is no if...resistance is futile.
          I have to allow for the possibility that I'm simply no good at it.

I appreciate your input, you've kind of validated my own feelings about which I should go for. Now the only question is whether to go new or save a bit and go used... I'm just loathe to risk a grand on a used kit when I could go new for a couple of hundred more. And the local sales tax of a hundred bux does put a different spin on it, too.

Comment

Just a data point, in Nov of 2006 I bought a new TD-6 kit with the PD-8 rubber pads for $1,400 at GC. Not sure if the 1400 is for mesh or PD8 pads. Check RMCaudio.com , they have awesome proces. Ebay is another good choice. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by vdrummer20 View Post
              Just a data point, in Nov of 2006 I bought a new TD-6 kit with the PD-8 rubber pads for $1,400 at GC. Not sure if the 1400 is for mesh or PD8 pads. Check RMCaudio.com , they have awesome proces. Ebay is another good choice. good luck.
              The $1400 I quoted reckoned the purchase price plus a pedal, throne, sticks and tax. The $1200 purchase price is at the local GC.

Most of the kits I see on eBay are the older TD-6 kits with the blue brain, sometimes without a proper hi-hat, well-worn, or are offered by a seller with low (or bad) feedback... Many of which are fine if there's a SIGNIFICANT discount from new, and in most cases I don't like the math of only saving a couple of hundred dollars.

Oh, and RMC Audio doesn't carry the 6 anymore.

Comment

Definitely get the black case TD-6V. It has support for rim triggering on Toms...the blue TD-6 does not.
                Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
                "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Working...
                X