Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rubber sticks ??? (or something)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber sticks ??? (or something)

Here is the dillema :

Kit is too loud. As in sound of sticks hitting pads is annoying and thumping. Especially my dw 7000 slamming the bejesus out of the bass pad even on the least amount of tension --- that problem makes me want to get smaller beaters.

Now I also really want to use real cymbals again, its really just not fulfilling using (at least these garbage) cymbals.

So I was thinking to myself "SELF...what if there were sticks that were hard enough to hit triggers in the pads but the cymbals would be dampened to the point that they wouldn't be blaring and useable in a quiet-ish atmosphere.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Originally posted by SoarAndEnvision View Post
    Here is the dillema :

Kit is too loud. As in sound of sticks hitting pads is annoying and thumping. Especially my dw 7000 slamming the bejesus out of the bass pad even on the least amount of tension --- that problem makes me want to get smaller beaters.

Now I also really want to use real cymbals again, its really just not fulfilling using (at least these garbage) cymbals.

So I was thinking to myself "SELF...what if there were sticks that were hard enough to hit triggers in the pads but the cymbals would be dampened to the point that they wouldn't be blaring and useable in a quiet-ish atmosphere.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    I don't think they are advertised as "silent" but there seems to be an assumption that they are and a lot of disappointment that they are not. Some transfers through the floor, walls and ceiling and some travels through vents into other rooms or floors. The kick drum fix is probably different than the pads. I haven't heard of rubber sticks working and after all these years on this board, if it did work, most members would be using them at one time or another.

Do a search and you will find folks have taken different approaches with platforms (tennis balls sandwiched between two layers of padded plywood, various foams, etc).

What options do you have? Is this a situation where you are in an apartment with folks above and below you? Is it your immediate family only that is the concern (they are usually a little easier to deal with). Any rooms with a concrete floor available (a basement perhaps)? Do you have a private room to use or are others in the room or very close by when you play? I think all of these things may have a bearing on what suggestions you will get.
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Drum platform on tennis balls, carpet, mesh pads, lighter sticks.....there's not much further you can go with a percussion instrument.....how about turning the television on at a moderate volume to create some ambient noise - maybe if there's a heater or air conditioner on too that will add a bit of cover......moving to a free standing house or even to the country is the only other option.......
      I empathise - when I'm away on business I worry about the tap tappin' on the practice pad when I'm in a motel - that's where I came up with the idea to turn on the telly....

Comment

I should clarify : the priority is more to get a stick that you can actually hit a cymbal with that would be so sharp of an attack, rather than to minimize pad noise.

In fact lets just take that out and focus on the cymbal issue. I really love the feel of cymbals and I was toying with an idea of getting a bunch of splash cymbals and moderately dampening them so they aren't overpoweringly loud.

I do live in an apartment alone so I don't really care about disturbing anyone and I have had zero complaints. But that doesnt' mean I can play full volume cymbals with wood sticks

Comment

I just found this on the forum from SuperPuss :

"As can be seen from these photo's, this was a relatively simple conversion. There was no need to use any coating on the top or bottom of these cymbals to mute them. All I did was split a length of clear vinyl tubing and ran it around the edge. This serves to protect the sticks and silences the acoustic sound extremely effectively."

That's ingenius! I think that's my answer!

Comment

Working...
          X