Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesh Eats Maple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh Eats Maple

OK, I decided to post here, because this forum is intended for specific commercial products, so let's be specific...

I am using the Roland TD-12BK drum kit with the Remo mesh heads that it comes with from the manufacturer. My drumsticks are Vic Firth, American Custom series, model SD-4 Combo, made from rock maple with wooden tips.

I have been using these sticks for around a month and I practice quite a lot every day, so these sticks have probably spent several hours in direct contact with the mesh heads already. The sticks feel great in my hand for e-drumming but seem to get worn real quick.

I thought it was interesting to see the difference between new sticks and sticks used for a month, so I included a picture for comparison. I don't really have any question since I must conclude that the mesh heads REALLY eat the wood... see for yourself

The sticks on the right a brand new and have never been used whereas the sticks on the left have only been used with the mesh heads on the TD-12. There is quite some difference there ... I wonder where all that wood went... hmm maybe my pads are full of sawdust.
    Ask not whether something is useful -- ask what it is useful for.

Roland TD-12, Iron Cobra hihat stand and bass-drum pedal from TAMA. My accoustic kit is a Yamaha Power-V Birch with Paiste Alpha-series splashes, crashes, and hihat. My ride is a Zildjan Ping Ride, 20" I think.

Check out my TD-12 on Youtube. My page is here http://www.youtube.com/HerlPearl.

That is weird. I have been using wood tips for years without any wear.
    sigpic

Comment

I am quite surprised that this happens. The drum kit, sticks, and heads are one month old or so and although I have played very much during that time, it doesn't make sense that they would look like that. I just noticed now that it almost seems like the sticks on the left are nylon tips, but it is wood. It is just a lot lighter than the new sticks because the tips have been "sanded down" (or should I say "meshed down").

I am switching over to the new set of sticks today. I guess I will have to wait another month to see what happens with them. Perhaps, it is just because the heads are new??? In any case, I will have to post an update on the new sticks about a month from now.

Roland TD-12, Iron Cobra hihat stand and bass-drum pedal from TAMA. My accoustic kit is a Yamaha Power-V Birch with Paiste Alpha-series splashes, crashes, and hihat. My ride is a Zildjan Ping Ride, 20" I think.

Check out my TD-12 on Youtube. My page is here http://www.youtube.com/HerlPearl.

Comment

That's odd. Has anyone else experienced this?
        Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

I've never seen anything like that. Could this potentially be related to your style of play? Do you allow your sticks to rebound off the drum head or are you forcing your strokes into the head? For instance, when you strike your snare, do you pick the stick back up off the head after each stroke or do you tend to let it droop there and rub against the head until the next note? That's the only way I can imagine getting enough abrasion between the sticks and heads to do that much damage.
          >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

I experienced exactly the same thing when I played Vic Firth Fusion model as my main stick. I always thought it was just me!

Now use SilverFox with delrin tips - no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by V(ader)DRUMMER View Post
              I've never seen anything like that. Could this potentially be related to your style of play? Do you allow your sticks to rebound off the drum head or are you forcing your strokes into the head? For instance, when you strike your snare, do you pick the stick back up off the head after each stroke or do you tend to let it droop there and rub against the head until the next note? That's the only way I can imagine getting enough abrasion between the sticks and heads to do that much damage.
              Looking at my own videos and paying attention lately, I guess I tend to lift my hands somewhat to make those fast ghost-noted rolls (that most people never hear anyway). That angle is clearly reflected in the shape of the tip since it really has a lot of wear towards the top. I don't know how other players hold their sticks during rolls, but I guess that varies a lot.

I tend to let the sticks bounce a lot but also pick them back up when I want single or double strokes. My left hand tends to play very many ghost notes on the snare and the right hand as well when I bring it down to the snare. Although it is tempting with E-drums, I pretty much never play any ghost notes on the toms because my a-kit makes that impossible with the loose heads I keep on the Yamaha toms.

I am sure, it does have to do with the way I play but I still think that the mesh heads being new must have something to do with it. I would imagine that the threads in the mesh are still real sharp on the edges until I wear then down too.

I am most concerned about the "saw dust" that must be somewhere ... is it inside my pads, did I inhale it? No matter where it is, I don't think it is supposed to be there... but then again... I have inhaled worse things than sawdust in my life.

I just think it is remarkable...

Comment

Originally posted by flurbs View Post
                I experienced exactly the same thing when I played Vic Firth Fusion model as my main stick. I always thought it was just me!

Now use SilverFox with delrin tips - no problems.
                Hmm ... I will have to go examine the Vic Firth Fusion to see what those sticks and mine have in common. Is rock maple too hard or something? It could be the material that causes this... do you happen to know what those sticks were made of, flurbs?

Well, at least I am not the only one

Comment

I used to use Vater Hickory sticks and over about a year of use the tips became slightly roughened - this concerned me enough to make me worry about trashing the mesh heads so I changed to nylon tipped Zildjians.

Comment

Originally posted by Swaledale View Post
                    I used to use Vater Hickory sticks and over about a year of use the tips became slightly roughened - this concerned me enough to make me worry about trashing the mesh heads so I changed to nylon tipped Zildjians.
                    I will go for one more month with the American Custom, SD4 Combo and see what the results are... Maybe the mesh dies (hope not) but I am gonna live a little. If I get the same result after a month, I am going to switch over to the SD4N Combo (the nylon-tip version of the same stick) and just use that.

I normally use the Vic Firth SDW (those dark red Dave Weckl signature) and American Classic, 5A and 5B (wooden tips) on the a-kit but will restrict the use of SD4 Combo to acoustics. I generally do not like nylon on my a-kit because it just doesn't sound right to me. For e-kits, it really doesn't affect the sound.

Maybe hickory is the right material (if one insists on playing wooden tips) for the mesh heads. In my case, I reckon nylon tips will do just fine.

Comment

Exactly the same **** happening here with Vic Firth AJ6's and 5A's. I've worn the last pair of AJ6's I got to a point within four weeks! (I do tend to do a lot of blastbeats mind you - but even so). I've also found that the wearing of the stick tips in turn seems to start wearing the cymbal edges (especially that precious VH-11) - but I seem to have arrested this with an occasional coat of 303 Aerospace Protectorant.

Having only ever played the aforementioned Vic Firths and presuming this was a symptom of wooden sticks, I think given comments made in this thread I need to try some other brands.
                      Last edited by Alan VEX; 07-09-08, 09:05 AM.

Comment

2Box DrumIt Five, TDW-20BK , additional Kit Toys & Roland cymbals, 2Box, Pearl and Sonor pedals

Comment

Go nylon... on mesh heads and plastic heads..you don't really need to use wood.

E
                          - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Nylon tips here since day one. Heads are still just as brand new. FWIW
                            Alan
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

The bummer for me is that I use Buddy Rich sticks and they don't come with Nylon tips as far as I know.

But I have never worn down the tips. Could it just be Maple?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X