Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pd125 on td3 module. (advice needed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pd125 on td3 module. (advice needed)

Hi,
    I am new to the E drums,
    and need some advice
    I am thinking of buying the TD3 kit, but upgrading the snare to pd125, is it possible?
    can the td3 module handle this size?
    is there certain technical limitations in the td3 module, that won't allow me to enjoy the full abilities of this unit?

also, on the pd125 there is a label that say:
    "no rim, only on td20 module"

what does it mean ?

(because I saw on many demonstrations, that the player can put all the stick on the drum (in td3 kit) , and it make the famous click sound, so maybe the rim sound ,that only td 20 support, is when you hit with the stick on the side ?)

The PD125 should work well as a snare on your TD-3. You should be able to cross stick or do rim shots. The TD-3 lacks positional sensing.

You can not do rim shots with this pad when used as a tom except on the TD-20 module.

I upgraded my TD-3 pads to Pintech mesh heads. I got a 12 inch snare. I like the mesh heads, some prefer the rubber pads.

I added a Pintech Dingbat. It's nice to have another pad to trigger other sounds, cowbell, etc. You could also use another PD-8, a Hart hammer or even a home made trigger.

Good luck.

Michael

TD-3KW, PM-10, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, iPod, Tama HP200 pedal, Pintech DIngbat, mesh kick, snare, toms, sound percussion throne
    Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

what does it mean positional sensing ?
      (and what module does have it, except the td 20 of course..)

Comment

Originally posted by overg View Post
        also, on the pd125 there is a label that say:
        "no rim, only on td20 module"

what does it mean ?
        I think you're misreading the label. Are you sure it doesn't say, "*Rim triggering on toms requires TD-20 Percussion Sound Module"?

Bruce

Comment

There's a post on positional sensing on The"Technical" board....

I think the TD-12 and TD-20 have it....

what it is is that depending on where you hit the pad (cymbal?) you will get a slightly different sound, much like on an acoustic drum.

with the TD-3 ( and probably some of the others) you get pretty much the same sound where ever you hit the pad. It's nice in a way you get a consistent sound, but over time you'll notice you always get the same sound...

It's probably a nice additional feature to more closely reproduce an acoustic kit.

Michael

TD-3 KW
          Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

The pd125 will work just fine with your td3. Just one thing to ponder is .. the pd125 itself is almost the price of the td3 module ... it is like the Ferrari of Roland pads ... why not saving a bit and getting a used pd120? Or even the pdx8... just my 0.02 cents ....

Pim
            Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

well I want the E drums to mimic the acoustic set as much as possible..

( without going bankrupt) so since the snare is the main drum, I want it to be as close as possible to the acoustic set. (the toms I don't mind much right now)
              also (now I see...) I want a positional sensing ...
              after all , if I hit the drum no matter where and get the same sound all the time... what is the idea?

so now I see that I need at least the TD12 module..

damn that is going to be expensive...

Comment

Welcome to the addicting and increasingly expensive world of V-drums !

And then you'll want a more realistic hi-hat...

then a better ride cymbal.....

then a better amp.....

or a double bass pedal...

it just never ends.....

but seriously, to better replicate an acoustic kit, you will have to upgrade things from the good old TD-3

Michael

TD-3 KW (waiting for my TD-12), PM-10, Pintech snare, toms, kick and Dingbat, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Sound Percussion throne, Tama HP-200 pedal, stock TD-3 cymbals ( for now) (eventually, gear far beyond my ability)
                Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Pimenta View Post
                  The pd125 will work just fine with your td3. Just one thing to ponder is .. the pd125 itself is almost the price of the td3 module ... it is like the Ferrari of Roland pads ... why not saving a bit and getting a used pd120? Or even the pdx8... just my 0.02 cents ....

Pim
                  well, I didn't know pd120 exist.
                  what is the difference..?
                  btw, didn;t see it in Roland site, is it an old model ?

Comment

Why not make your own?

I made 4 drums this way for my TD-3. 2 from a 10" tom (PD-100 equivalent) and 2 from a 12" tom (PD-120 & PD-125 equivalent), for less than the average used price of a PD-125 on eBay.

The PD-120 is the (discontinued) predecessor to the PD-125.
                    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
                      Why not make your own?

I made 4 drums this way for my TD-3. 2 from a 10" tom (PD-100 equivalent) and 2 from a 12" tom (PD-120 & PD-125 equivalent), for less than the average used price of a PD-125 on eBay.

The PD-120 is the (discontinued) predecessor to the PD-125.
                      well what you did is truly amazing , but Sadly I don't have time to built my drums...

I guess I will have to start with a module that support positional sensing.
                      and to buy a 12 inch snare.
                      I will buy the regular pads for all the rest.
                      and upgrade later.

Comment

Working...
                      X