Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK...Please help!! A's, E's or both?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK...Please help!! A's, E's or both?!

First let me say Hi and that I'm new to all of this. V-Drums, this site and drumming period. I did a bunch of research and ended up buying a TD-12...great kit! Long story short, a couple buddies and myself have been getting together to play...well we ended up getting a few gigs. My question is, would it be better to trade in my TD-12 for, lets say, a TD-9 and an acoustic kit for the live stuff, or will the TD-12 hold it's own up there. Also, I'm worried about constantly transporting the 12 for rehearsals and gigs. Plugging and unplugging everything, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    It's not a matter of luck...it's just a matter of time.

It all depends on what you want out of things. If you are in a band that just wants to set up and play with very little hassle, it might be better to just use an acoustic. If you go with V-Drums, you will always need some sort of amp for you and your bandmates.

The advantage of VDrums is the versatility of sounds. If you don't need that versatility, the drawbacks might be bigger than the benefits.

For me, I love the sounds I can get and don't mind bringing amps. It's VDrums all the way for me.
    sigpic

Comment

I don't really use too many different kits when I play, but I love having the option. And the band I play in already has an amazing PA system w/ a Mackie 16 channel mixer, and all the other bells and whistles...so amplification isn't an issue...thank god. lol. My band mates actually said they prefer my V-Drums over their former drummer's acoustic kit just from a mixing stand-point alone. We actually played a little 4th of July party yesterday. We played, then the next band got up and did their thing. I had my 12 setup and the other band's drummer had his acoustic kit setup. After we both had played, I had quite a few people compliment me on the way my kit sounded over the acoustic kit. I guess I have a case of GAS...I see something I don't have, and I immediately think..."I GOTTA HAVE THAT!" I also keep hearing great things about the VEX packs. Are they as good as they say. And has anybody used them in a live setting?
      Last edited by Wonderbread; 07-06-08, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I think the 12 will work great as a gigging kit. From a mixing standpoint it will be easier to get consistently great sounds from the v-drums than from an acoustic kit without having a slew of outboard gear (mic's, compressors, etc). Also the advantage of reducing stage volume via the td-12 should not be overlooked. I've been a sound engineer and drummer for our church for the past 14 years and have come to the conclusion that the benefits of v-drums will make my life a lot easier. As far as worrying about moving the kit, I think that if you take the correct measures to protect all the gear I think you'll be fine. Plus the td-12 kit should be a lot easier to transport. From what I've heard, the VEX kits are amazing. For the price, they can't be beat. Keep us posted on what you decide.
        Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

I use VEX on my TD-20 and TD-12 module. They make a huge difference compared to the stock kits that come on the Roland modules. I use my Roland kit to play gigs, but the setup time is greater than when I was using my A-kit. My band is looking at an opportunity to open for an out of state band that is traveling through and If we do the gig, I won't be able to use the Roland kit due to time constraint of getting on and off stage.
          TD-20, SPD-S, TAMA '82 Superstars
          http://www.outawhack.net/drumming ___ http://www.zendaddyband.com ___ http://www.myspace.com/353238983

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderbread View Post
            I had my 12 setup and the other band's drummer had his acoustic kit setup. After we both had played, I had quite a few people compliment me on the way my kit sounded over the acoustic kit.
            There you have it. The people have spoken. Need we say more?
            >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

I would think for smaller venues the E drums would be nice for lower stage volume. The Set-up time could be an issue (Depending on the size of the kit).But the only difference between an acoustic and electric for set-up would be the wiring and an amp, Unless you run straight into the P.A.. Make a snake for your wiring and number them. I put the numbers right on the chrome shaft of the jack with a thin sharpie.
              Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

Thanks for suggestions guys. I think I'll stick with my 12. If need be, I'll just save up for an acoustic. For now I'll grab some VEX packs and see how it goes. We have a gig next weekend...I'll let ya know how the VEX kits fair

Comment

Working...
                X