Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do I need 3 zone rides????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do I need 3 zone rides????

Please someone explain to me why do I need a 3 zone ride?
    as someone who didn't get my TD-9sx yet, can someone tell me if there is a need for me to have a 3 zone ride? I used to play accoustic drums and only used the bell and and bow of the cymbal...hardly the edge. unless of course I can program the edge to sound like a crash and the rest like a ride cymbal???

pluse, does anyone out there have a TD-9 module or set with yamaha pcy130 or pcy 150? any problems I should know about before buying the yamaha's?

thanks

I have a three zone CY15R and dont even bother plugging the edge zone in. I only use the bow and bell. I dont see the sense in it. I use a ride to well.....ride
    Last edited by csnow; 07-04-08, 12:29 AM.

Comment

...I only have 2 x 2 zone cymbals and always wish they both had a 3 zones......

The edge can be used as a crash or to give that swelling undertone to your ride to fill out the music.
      I guess it depends on the type of music you play but I used to have a zildjian brilliant deep ride on my a-kit and the crash/swell from the edge was fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by mtwaishy View Post
        Please someone explain to me why do I need a 3 zone ride?
        as someone who didn't get my TD-9sx yet, can someone tell me if there is a need for me to have a 3 zone ride? I used to play accoustic drums and only used the bell and and bow of the cymbal...hardly the edge. unless of course I can program the edge to sound like a crash and the rest like a ride cymbal???

pluse, does anyone out there have a TD-9 module or set with yamaha pcy130 or pcy 150? any problems I should know about before buying the yamaha's?

thanks
        I have a PCY 150 with a Roland TD12 module and had to do the conversion which included adding an extra jack box and removing R1 resistor, reseating the bow piezo and turning the gain pot to max ... this enabled the edge to become active and now sounds cool ...

I like that edge sound and it makes a handy extra trigger for a crash too or china ... if u left the PCY 150 as is then u will just get bell and bow which may suffice as a tasty ride ...

Biggest pull for me was price, here in the UK the Yammy 15" was £85 delivered and the Roland equivalent was double that ...

Dave

ps - the Yamaha PCY 130 will work with the Roland straight out of the box. No fiddly diddly needed ...
        Last edited by daveybabes; 07-06-08, 06:37 AM.
        WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
        YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
        FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
        :eek: ...
        Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
        Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

Comment

Thanks for this post - it has got me to thinkin'!

I have the edge on my CY15 set to the default edge sound for the bow sound I hav selected, but I rarely, if ever, deliberately use it. Perhaps I should set it to a more washy ride sound, since the dry ride sound which I prefer is not always appropriate for everything I play.

Comment

actually, I'm thinking of getting the pcy150S which has 3 zone cabability. I just wanted some opinions on if it is worth it to buy the 3 zone or just the 2 zone.

however, I still need to know if someone has this yamaha cymbal with a td-9 module.

Comment

Use the search, there is a thread on using the yamaha cymbal on a roland module. It will not work out of the box for three zones.

Comment

I have a roland cy15r 3 zone, actually I have 3 ( 2 I use for crashes ). I only use the 2 zone. I have a td 8 and the only available is input 12 and it doesn't have a rim, Which I would need to operate that 3rd zone. I would like to have that zone for ride accents, But thats OK.
                But if you have the opportunity to hook up the 3rd zone , I would just for that accent.
                Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

I have a CY12 R/C and use the edge sound quite a lot as Hercules did with his Zildjian.
                  Many of my songs are Pink Floyd, Genesis, Zappa etc, inspired prog rock style and the edge accent on my ride is brilliant for that. Think along the lines of the last part of Pink Floyd's 'Echoes' for the effect I'm talking about.

Comment

Three words....Jazz, baby, jazz.
                    Light crashes on the edge are imperative.

Comment

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
                      Three words....Jazz, baby, jazz.
                      Light crashes on the edge are imperative.
                      True that!

Comment

Because they are cool....why else?
                        Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
                        "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

I use mine for an extra crash. It's easy to get to quick and it's an added sound.
                          Doc

Upgraded V-Pro, TD10 with TDW-1, V-cymbals, DW pedals, JBL EON15 G2, BBE482, Octapad II Pad-80, Misc external signal processors, 7 pc TAMA Crestar, Zildjian cymbals; 5 String Bass, 12 string and assorted 6 string guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Strike View Post
                            I use mine for an extra crash. It's easy to get to quick and it's an added sound.
                            If you are going to do that you would be better off using the edge trigger input as a dual trigger for another cymbal - then you'll get 2 added sounds.

Comment

The 3 zone ride is a geat concept for the right module. I have the td 8 and in order for me to use all three zones I would have to use one of the Toms. I think switching everything around would be a pain. I would have to assign this input to that input and so on.
                              Isn't it really a 4 zone? when you have 2 cables hooked up you get edge ,bell, and 2 bow sounds.

For the modules that support the 3 zone cymbals, How is the 3 zone cymbal hooked up?
                              Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

Working...
                              X