Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone tried alesis pads with roland module?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone tried alesis pads with roland module?

Yes they will work, but there are a few caveats to be aware of...

1) The pads from the DM5 Pro kit are single zone pads (head piezo only). This means no separate rim shot tones on these pads. Note that the pads from the USB Pro Kit contain dual zone (rim and head piezos) pads, so if you buy that kit you will be able to get rim shots on the TD-20.
    BTW, I have both the single and double piezo versions of the Alesis pads and the good news is that it's relatively easy to add the rim piezo. The 1/4 jack on the single zones have Tip, Ring, and Sleeve points. The rim piezo on the dual zone pads is mounted in the center of the inside bottom of the pad housing beneath all of the foam.

2) The piezo in the pads is affixed to a round plexiglass plate sandwiched between several layers of foam. What does this mean to you? It means that the pads do not support the positional sensing feature of the TD-20. Here's a link to a website that shows these pads taken apart so you can get an idea of what it looks like (click on the "Dismantle Pad" link on the left hand side): http://www.freewebs.com/nuskooltone/

3) Even with replacing the mylar heads with mesh ones, you won't get quite the bounce that you do with pads that use center cones like the Roland mesh pads because the layers of foam somewhat interfere with that. The pads still trigger fine however.

I hope that helps.

- Ugly.

Comment

Thank you very much Ugly that helps a lot.......

1. Yeah, I'm planning to buy the USB drum kit for the dual zone pads.

2. I didn't know about the positional sensing, but I guess it's fine. Since I started with electronics, I've been using my Mapex converted kit using acoustic triggers which (well at least I think) doesn't have positional sensing either, right?
      If I'm correct, I would be fine with these alesis pads because for the lack of positional sensing I would be saving a lot of money (roland pads are much more expensive).
      By the way, I also have a Pinctech pad, which has the center cone (paying for Roland's patent). This has positional sensing, right? If yes, I could use this as my snare.

3. How different would be the bounce of the alesis pads compared with the mesh heads (with acoustic triggers, no center cone) I have on my my mapex kit?
      Also, is there much more acoustic noise on the alesis pads, than a practice pad or what I currently have with mesh heads?

4. I also have another question, is the rack of the alesis usb drum kit sturdy enough to hold the TD20 and more electronic cymbals?

Thanks again for your help and time.

Comment

I was in Digital Village the other day comparing the pads and actually found more bounce with the DM5 pro pads! The Roland mesh pads feel softer, but do not get as much bounce from the stick.
        As Digital Village deal Alesis products they can order the parts separately, and so I am slowly upgrading my DM5 kit to a DM5 Pro. (The dual zone pad costs £39.99 which is about $79.99 I think)

Just email Alesis about the extra pads or whatever if you need them, I have asked so many questions before and always get a reply within a day or so at most! (Often just a few hours!)

Comment

I'll answer these as best I can...

1. Smart move... As long as you don't need the DM5 module I think the USB Pro is the better option.

2. There are others on this board that can explain positional sensing much better than I could, but as best as I can describe... The module is able to sense the length and/or amplitude of the wave that the piezo responds to. Hits closer to the rim have a different wave than hits closer to the center of the head. In order for that to happen 1) the piezo must be center mounted under a cone or cylinder, 2) the head must be tensioned properly. Even though the Alesis piezos are mounted in the center, because they are mounted on a plate with foam which covers the entire area of the pad, there's no way for the module to distinguish between center and off-center hits. BTW, the Pintech pad design sounds like it should work with P.S. If it's a dual zone pad you may want to use that pad as your snare to get head, rim and P.S. shots.

EDIT: Here are two links from this board that explain P.S.:
          http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showpost...9&postcount=10
          http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...tional+sensing

3. I have a 10" Hart Acupad IIST for the snare and am using the Alesis 8" pads (with some DIY mesh heads from an ebay seller) for the toms. The Hart has a pretty nice bounce to it and responds more like a real drum. It might have something to do with the larger (10") diameter, but I think it's also that the entire head is not sitting on top of a piece of foam. It doesn't bother me for the toms, but I'm glad I have the Hart for the snare. Regarding noise, they're definately much quieter with the mesh than with the mylar that originally comes with them. I'd say there's more "thwack" than with the Hart, but not by so much that it bothers me.

4) It's hard to tell. I'm using a TD-8 which I'm sure is significantly lighter than the TD-20. The rack seems sturdy enough, but it's definately not in the league of the TD-12 or TD-20 racks. Hopefully someone else can weigh in on this one.

- Ugly.
          Last edited by uglybassplayer; 07-02-08, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Al righty...thank you very much.

Yeah, I'll be using my 12" dual zone Pintech pad as the snare, and, if the mylar is too noisy, I'll buy some Pearl muffle (mesh) heads for the alesis toms.

Thanks again.

Hector

Comment

Working...
            X