Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start?

Hi everyone, new to the forum and have some questions. I'd like to get started in drumming with an e-kit. Not planning on doing anything too serious right away, just something different, I currently bass. I've been reading around and doing some research but still don't have a real good idea where to start so I'll ask. There are a few kits for sale locally (td7, td6 some yamahas), would it be a good idea to start with something older like a td7 or td5 then upgrade as I go? Is it possible to upgrade the module first then upgrade the pads later using the same rack? Or would it be better just to go out and buy a new td3 set?
    Thanks for any input.

Check out the responses to the post by YOTR. I just got a new TD-3kw from www.rmcaudio.com and I am really happy with it. I was a frequent drummer through college, and then dropped out of it. Nineteen years later, here I am. I find that I still have some of the basics covered, but I am by no means an accomplished drummer, so we're both in the same boat. The advice from the more experienced drummers in this forum is that you should go for the best module. I would suggest studying the manufacturer's websites for the features of any modules you are looking at and go with the one that seems to have the best features for you. If you sign in to the Roland site, you will find pdf files of all the manuals. They will go into tremendous detail about the features. Good luck with your decision. I know you'll be happy with whatever you decide. Soon enough, some more experienced guys will start responding to this thread and give you specific advice as you ask for it.

Martin

Comment

the advice here has always been buy the best module you can afford, and especially seeing that the snare is a mesh head, rather than rubber- many here say you need mesh for the toms as well, but I dissent -

given that, there are lots of cheap places to get second hand kits, like ebay and craig's list...

I started with a td 6 that i loved, but its been replaced by the td-9, which is even better - I prefered the backing tracks that you can mute the drum part of that the 6 has, as opposed to the rhythm coach of the 3 . just make sure it is the upgraded 6 (6V, black case, not blue).

I also prefer the feel of the cy5 high hat to the rubber pad that came on cheaper or earlier kits---though you can always buy extras.

I used the 6 for a couple of years and now have replaced it with a 9 module, and keep added extra pads and cymbals and things

good luck and welcome to the club!
      TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
      ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
      not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by Copper View Post
        Check out the responses to the post by YOTR.
        http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41397

Is it Groundhog Day again already?

>>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Originally posted by Yengo View Post
          Hi everyone, new to the forum and have some questions. I'd like to get started in drumming with an e-kit. Not planning on doing anything too serious right away, just something different, I currently bass. I've been reading around and doing some research but still don't have a real good idea where to start so I'll ask. There are a few kits for sale locally (td7, td6 some yamahas), would it be a good idea to start with something older like a td7 or td5 then upgrade as I go? Is it possible to upgrade the module first then upgrade the pads later using the same rack? Or would it be better just to go out and buy a new td3 set?
          Thanks for any input.
          I would still try to find something that you wouldn't mind keeping for a while. I would definately go mesh for the snare. If you can find a good deal on a td 6 or a td 8 kit with mesh drums that would be a nice set-up too. It all comes down to how much money you got to spend.
          Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.
          Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

Thanks for the response guys. I just went to go look at some kits today and found a td-6v kit. Now it's time to learn some drumming.

Comment

Good choice with the td-6. Keep us up to date on your progress.
              Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

I concur the 6 was an excellent place for me to start!

good drumming and keep us in touch!
                TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

yeah, I like the kit a lot. It's actually a td-6sw kit. I think I will take a few lessons to get the basics down and also to get a feel of doing things the right way and not building bad habits then go to videos. That way I can at least understand the terminology.

I like this forum, lots of good info and a lot of good people so I'll definitely stick around. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X