Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V-Expressions OK, but what else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are forums for acoustics as well ... (:
    I can say that I didn't tweak since I got the VEX, and now I'm in a situation that I don't even want more vex.
    A-kit:

E-kit:[B]

Comment

Originally posted by drum4Him View Post
      I know this departs from the original post, but is a humble reminder.

While I share with all in drooling over a good sounding kit or the next TD whatever ... Historically, I personally have found that no matter how good the kit is, I unfortunately still sound like me playing the drums. Improving how YOU sound will ultimately bring the most rewards, and higher regard from other musicians.

d4H
      That's also the reason I want to spend more time on playing than tweaking. Music is just a (n important) hobby of mine, but maybe I'm a little vain (hey, who isn't). When I have friends or family coming over saying "Hey you play piano and drums, so let's hear it!!" And then I go and say "Well, I spent last week creating this drum kit, you want to hear it?" And they say "Yes" and then I hit the kick and snare a couple of times and wack a on some toms. And then they ask "But can you play a song?" and I say "Well.......no, but I can create another drum kit, look, just press this button and this one, turn this dial.......half an hour later: "You see, a new drum kit! Am I a great musician or what?!". You get the picture.

@csnow: I know about Superior 2.0 and that sort of software. But that will keep me operating pc's more than playing. Already had a go with it when I bought a new HP laptop with Vista (didn't want it, but: no choice) with a new external cound card: driver problems, updates, the usual anti-virus and firewall settings and updates, etc, etc. I like just having to switch on the TD-9 and play; no booting, updating, freeze ups, etc.

Comment

Couldn't someone just make a kind of module that lets you play stuff like Superior 2.0? Or is that what already kinda exists under this form: http://www.museresearch.com/

Stijn
        'lectric drumma
        Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by 'lectric drumma View Post
          Couldn't someone just make a kind of module that lets you play stuff like Superior 2.0? Or is that what already kinda exists under this form: http://www.museresearch.com/

Stijn

Comment

I agree with Boingo's post.

I wasn't talking about learning about trigger parameters, eq, and the like. Those are essentials. 'Cause like Boingo said, different rooms will make the drums trigger and sound differently. Nothing worse than having the module act up and not knowing how to deal with it. Retrigger cancel, threshold, crosstalk cancel, sensitivity, and velocity curve are real good to get to know something about. [Hope I got all the names right.]

I was talking about the major tweakings to the kits.
            . . . . . . . . . .

"Make me an instrument of your peace..."

Comment

Originally posted by Renegator View Post
              I agree with Boingo's post.
              Nothing worse than having the module act up and not knowing how to deal with it. Retrigger cancel, threshold, crosstalk cancel, sensitivity, and velocity curve are real good to get to know something about.
              I was talking about the major tweakings to the kits.
              I was focusing on ambience, EQ, compression, etc in my post. Wasn't thinking about trigger settings. Yikes! If you didn't know how to tweak ambience, etc I could probably get through the gig. But when trigger settings act up, you could end up having everyone hate your E's. I remember setting up in a different area in Church because they moved everything around for a play. I was on a rickety old platform. Cymbals were pinging at the slightest movement or vibration. Toms would trigger when I used my hi hats. I was getting some real dirty looks from everyone. Fortunately I knew how to make the crosstalk adjustments to reign them in. Not knowing what to do with a finicky module can be a real disaster. I later learned to save those settings to a second trigger bank and have them readily available for emergency use.
              Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Working...
              X