Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V-Expressions OK, but what else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Expressions OK, but what else?

Wel, it look like everyone is crazy about the V-Expressions kits. As I'm waiting for the TD-9 kits to come out, I'm curious if there are any other companies or people creating good v-drums kits. Any suggestions?

Why dont you have ago at it yourself? You have the tools, all you need is some time.

*Free TD-12 & TD-20 Kits*....*Free SPD-s Kits & Effects*
    *Videos*......*Demos*......*Pictures*......*Documents*

Comment

Originally posted by eric_B View Post
      Wel, it look like everyone is crazy about the V-Expressions kits. As I'm waiting for the TD-9 kits to come out, I'm curious if there are any other companies or people creating good v-drums kits. Any suggestions?

Not that has been mentioned around here.
      . . . . . . . . . .
      V stage with TD20 and TDW-20, pd-80s, pd-7s, pd-125, vh-12, cy-12rc, dB 405 L and Yorkville LS 700p
      Core2duo in a Cube with 2 gig of RAM and 2 HDDs, Sonar Producer 6, DFHS Custom and Vintage, and RME Multiface II

"Make me an instrument of your peace..."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Stixx View Post
        Why dont you have ago at it yourself? You have the tools, all you need is some time.
        Time IS the problem: I work with computers all day (programming, tweaking and solving a lot of uncle Bill's problems ) and I've played keyboards for about 15 years (midi setup with Cubase, sequencing, expanding, buying upgrades, more sounds, etc). One day I realised I spent more time tweaking than making music. That's why I bought a Yamaha CVP-303 digital piano: I just turn it on and play.

Then the drum virus hit me. I had to decide to get an acoustic or electronic kit. Because of the playing times (at evening and at night) I got the TD-9KX. And now it looks like I'm going the same road again: getting a VH-11, a KD-85, more sounds, bigger toms, etc. And reading other people's posts: I'm not the only one.

Maybe I should have bought an acoustic kit: instead of reading this and others forums, considering upgrades, etc. I could spend all that time playing.

What is it about electronics that you always want more? and better?

Comment

...One day I realised I spent more time tweaking than making music.
          What is it about electronics that you always want more? and better?
          First of all, maybe you are more of a tweaker than a player? Secondly, more and better is not restricted to electronics

You should really have a go at making your own drum-sound. You don't have to invest oceans of time in it as in one long tweaking session. Simply find a good kit and copy it. Then play a song and after the song is done, tweak the snare for 5 to 10 minutes. Play the song again. Then spend 5 minutes tweaking something else like the bass drum, then play the song again.

This way, you will have to play a LOT before you are done tweaking.
          Ask not whether something is useful -- ask what it is useful for.

Roland TD-12, Iron Cobra hihat stand and bass-drum pedal from TAMA. My accoustic kit is a Yamaha Power-V Birch with Paiste Alpha-series splashes, crashes, and hihat. My ride is a Zildjan Ping Ride, 20" I think.

Check out my TD-12 on Youtube. My page is here http://www.youtube.com/HerlPearl.

Comment

I went with VEX because I was tired of tweaking with not a lot of bang for the time spent. Sure, I thought I was doing okay, but once I heard the VEX kits, I knew I still had a lot to learn.

My time is limited and I want to play, not tweak. Sure my ego wants me to be a super-tweaker, but that requires a big investment in time and energy. I'd rather put that time into practicing and playing.

As far as acoustics, if you can't be making lots of noise whenever you want, the vdrums are a necessity. Okay, a luxury. But still, if I only had an acoustic kit, I would be playing a lot less than I do.
            . . . . . . . . . .
            V stage with TD20 and TDW-20, pd-80s, pd-7s, pd-125, vh-12, cy-12rc, dB 405 L and Yorkville LS 700p
            Core2duo in a Cube with 2 gig of RAM and 2 HDDs, Sonar Producer 6, DFHS Custom and Vintage, and RME Multiface II

Comment

I think for a lot of people, the problem with tweaking kits is: how to get started... Any suggestions maybe?

Stijn
              'lectric drumma
              Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

@Herl: well, that could be it: maybe by nature I'm in the habit of always wanting to find out how something works and improve it. Still, I believe electronics tend be tweaked a lot more than non-electronics. Have you ever heard a piano player say: I like my grand, but I'm considering getting the new Mozart 3* strings, they are the best! No, always the "electric guys" have another gadget they want.

@Renegator: that's my thought too. For those interested: I have a busy job (have my own company), work out 3 or more times a week, have a dog, a house with a fairly big garden, no kids (yet, working on it ), a girlfriend who needs attention too (of course ) and therefore a little spare time which I spend playing drums and piano/keyboard (and also digital photography, photoshopping, updating my company's and client's websites, etc,etc,etc). And I'd rather want to improve my playing skills than my tweaking/programmings skills.

To start creating kits, I think Herl made a good suggestion: copy one you already like and start making adjustments to the sounds. Well, maybe I'll give it a try. When I have time. Sometime...

Comment

a girlfriend who needs attention too.
                  Well... give her kids.

Sorry, no bad intention.

Stijn
                  'lectric drumma
                  Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by 'lectric drumma View Post
                    I think for a lot of people, the problem with tweaking kits is: how to get started... Any suggestions maybe?

Stijn
                    To start with, creating kits does not take a lot of time once you know how to use the module. Tweaking normally happens over time and normally never stops, slows down but never stops. I know I still tweak mine now and again just for the hell of it.

Best way to start is to have an idea of the sound you are looking for, get samples if you can. Then listen to each stock sound to see which comes close and go from there.

If you dont know what a setting does, take if from one extreme to another and listen to what it does to the sound. You dont need a degree in sound engineering, all you need is a good ear.

*Free TD-12 & TD-20 Kits*....*Free SPD-s Kits & Effects*
                    *Videos*......*Demos*......*Pictures*......*Documents*

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Stixx View Post
                      You dont need a degree in sound engineering, all you need is a good ear.
                      And time...
                      . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

I agree that you should get some existing kits (like one of Mr Stixx's kits ) and compare them with the pre-programmed kits Roland supplies. I think it will become obvious which settings are different and what to focus on to get similar sounds. That would really cut down the learning time and point you in the right areas to focus.

Even though I had several years of tweaking experience with the TD-10, I did not have the time available (nor did I want to spend it if it was available) to tweak the TD-20. I bought a set of VEX kits early on . But the difference is I already had an idea of what to tweak and I had the VEX and Mr Stixx kits to examine to see how they got their sounds if I ran into problems. I would recommend anyone spending the megabucks on a TD-20 and other modules learn how to use the basic functions it provides. Especially if you gig with your kit. As many have found out, there are some tweaks required to the best of kits to account for room acoustics and perhaps the feel of particular songs. You ought to at least know some basics.
                        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by 'lectric drumma View Post
                          Well... give her kids.

Sorry, no bad intention.

Stijn
                          I already thought of that solution, therefore: ...no kids (yet, working on it )...

Comment

I know this departs from the original post, but is a humble reminder.

While I share with all in drooling over a good sounding kit or the next TD whatever ... Historically, I personally have found that no matter how good the kit is, I unfortunately still sound like me playing the drums. Improving how YOU sound will ultimately bring the most rewards, and higher regard from other musicians.

d4H

Comment

Have you looked at going soft-module? Since you are comfortable with computers, take at look at Superior 2.0 or Addictive Drums.

Comment

Working...
                              X