Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What set to buy? Coming from Acoustic Drums....Need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What set to buy? Coming from Acoustic Drums....Need help.

I have been playing drums off and on for over 15 years. I had a nice acoustic set a couple of years ago but sold it due to it being to loud and taking up to much room. I am married with two small children so I had to make some sacrifices. I am getting the bug again to get a set though and am considering an electronic drum set. I am really at a loss as to what is good and what is mediocre. I used to play a 4 piece drum set with a couple of crashes, ride, hi hat. I play mainly rock/alternative music if that also helps. I have never tried an electronic set so I am worried about hitting them to hard or if I might damage them. I was looking at a few of the Roland set's that people have recommended but also noticed yamaha is mentioned at times. My budget is about $800-$1200 with everything included. I am worried how the rubber pads will sound/perform compared to the mesh ones. Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long-winded post

I'll let others answer who know about yamahas and american prices, but just to reassure you, i am a big strong bloke (think: weight lifter), and I've snapped the odd drumstick in half, but have never had a problem with any of the pads (first alesis (bad) then roland td-6, now roland td-9).

Just dont step on the computer/module, or pour drinks down it.

mesh is quieter than rubber, but the triggered sounds are the same...esp for low/middle end kits that dont have positional sensing.

welcome to the club!
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
      I'll let others answer who know about yamahas and american prices, but just to reassure you, i am a big strong bloke (think: weight lifter), and I've snapped the odd drumstick in half, but have never had a problem with any of the pads (first alesis (bad) then roland td-6, now roland td-9).

Just dont step on the computer/module, or pour drinks down it.

mesh is quieter than rubber, but the triggered sounds are the same...esp for low/middle end kits that dont have positional sensing.

welcome to the club!

Thanks for the reply! That makes me feel better as I know I would be playing hard on them from time to time. I was looking at theTD-3 kit but also have an offer to get a like new TD-6 kit for about the price of the TD-3 (maybe a little more). I believe either one of those kits would fit my needs. I guess eventually I will have to purchase a ride cymbal as I see both kits only come with 2 crash cymbals.

Comment

Originally posted by YOTR View Post
        Thanks for the reply! That makes me feel better as I know I would be playing hard on them from time to time. I was looking at theTD-3 kit but also have an offer to get a like new TD-6 kit for about the price of the TD-3 (maybe a little more). I believe either one of those kits would fit my needs. I guess eventually I will have to purchase a ride cymbal as I see both kits only come with 2 crash cymbals.
        you set up one of the crashes as a ride...just by plugging in the ride cable instead of the crash two cable...but yes, personally, i find the cy 8 cymbal that comes with the kit a bit hard, well, damn hard, so i bought a cy 12 r/C as a ride and moved the cy8 to the second crash...not sure how expandable the td3 is, the 6 allows you to put in at least one new cymbal...another thing you might want to look at the kit is to make sure it has the cy5 as a hihat, as using a pd8 pad as a hihat didnt really feel right to me....cy5's are cheap by roland standards....ok, looked it up, yes you can get two crashes and a ride on the td 3.
        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

In a nutshell - Roland, Hart Dynamics and Yamaha all make excellent entry-level e-drum kits. Stay away from the cheaper brands you might find at big box retailers. They are more in the "toy" category and won't tolerate much abuse. The big three I just mentioned will stand up to a ton of punishment.

If you are a veteran of acoustic drums, you'll likely want to do what you can to eventually get all mesh pads. They're just kinder to your wrists. However, if the budget dictates that you stick with mostly rubber pads, you'll be fine for a while until you're able to upgrade. However, most folks agree that you should at least try to get a mesh pad to act as your snare.

E-drums are very much a "you get what you pay for" kind of item. Buy as much as your budget will allow, particularly when it comes to the module. You can always sell it off later to finance the purchase of bigger and better gear.

Best of luck, and let us know what you decide to get. Oh, and don't forget to use the search function of this site. You'll find a ton more background information on any and all kits that will help you with your decision.

P.S. One more thing - keep a close eye on eBay and Craigslist for good deals on used gear. If you're patient and do your homework, you'd be surprised at what you can find. Your dollar will go a lot further with second-hand sources than it will at Guitar Center. You also might consider converting a cheap acoustic kit into an e-kit. See the DIY section for more information on that. You can save a chunk of change doing that.
          Last edited by V(ader)DRUMMER; 06-27-08, 01:53 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
          >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Originally posted by YOTR View Post
            I have been playing drums off and on for over 15 years. I had a nice acoustic set a couple of years ago but sold it due to it being to loud and taking up to much room. I am married with two small children so I had to make some sacrifices. I am getting the bug again to get a set though and am considering an electronic drum set. I am really at a loss as to what is good and what is mediocre. I used to play a 4 piece drum set with a couple of crashes, ride, hi hat. I play mainly rock/alternative music if that also helps. I have never tried an electronic set so I am worried about hitting them to hard or if I might damage them. I was looking at a few of the Roland set's that people have recommended but also noticed yamaha is mentioned at times. My budget is about $800-$1200 with everything included. I am worried how the rubber pads will sound/perform compared to the mesh ones. Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long-winded post
            Welcome to the forum. Like Vader said an acoustic conversion is always nice.
            You can buy td 8 module's on ebay for about $500. Get a cheap kit an throw some mesh heads and triggers. Even if you get some Roland pd-7 pads for starters for cymbals ride and hats you can easily be in the price range you are looking to spend. Check out DIY and do searches on the site.

This site has all the info you need to build a kit (starter to monster kit),
            Jman, Michael Render and superpuss have awesome set-ups. Just to name a few.

Good luck and keep us informed
            Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

Welcome aboard. I would check all of the craigslist within your driving range for used sets. I have found some stellar deals to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by csnow View Post
                Welcome aboard. I would check all of the craigslist within your driving range for used sets. I have found some stellar deals to say the least.
                I was actually checking today and a person in my area has a mint like new (bought a few months ago according to the seller) Roland TD-6SW with kick pedal and throne for $1000. It looks brand new in the pictures and pretty much untouched. Is that a good deal? I was looking at just picking up a TD-3SW but that sounds like a good deal. I have looked at the Yamaha DTXPRESS IV standard/special but I have heard mixed reviews about the hi hat and didn't know how the kits compared to Roland's. I also saw a great deal on a brand new Yamaha DTXPRESS III special but didn't know how it would compare as it is last year's model.

Comment

Okay I need some advice. The person on craig's list responded and has a mint like new Roland TD-6SW with bass drum pedal and throne, all original boxes (and hopefully original receipt) that he just purchased a few months ago at guitar center. It looks like it was played a few times if that. He wanted $1000 for it but I got him down to $900. Is that a good deal? I have seen this kit still going for $1200 or more on ebay when it is available. I really like the kit and it seems like a good step up from the TD-3 plus the throne and pedal are already included. It also seems comparable to the Yamaha DTXPRESS IV special that I was looking at minus one cymbal. I honestly didn't want to pay $1500 if I could avoid it so this would be a good option. I really would only need to buy a mat and some headphones. I do want to get a pa/monitor for it later on but for now this would do. Good deal or should I keep looking?

Comment

I believe prices have dropped on the TD-6 kits now that they have been discontinued with the launch of the TD-9. A very quick Web search turned up several available new from online vendors in the $1,200-$1,300 range. So, I certainly wouldn't pay $1,200 for a used one.

Assuming the kick pedal and throne aren't crap, I'd guess $900 is probably a decent deal. I would, however, insist on dropping by and kicking the tires before you buy it. You'll want to make sure it hasn't been abused.

Also, if the seller says he only bought it new "a few months ago," be sure it is indeed consistent with the most recent TD-6 model:
                    http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...x?ObjectId=804

If you look at it and the module's casing is blue instead of black or it has a rubber pad for the hi-hat instead of a CY-5, he's selling you a much older model that should be priced accordingly.

Best of luck.
                    >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Originally posted by V(ader)DRUMMER View Post
                      I believe prices have dropped on the TD-6 kits now that they have been discontinued with the launch of the TD-9. A very quick Web search turned up several available new from online vendors in the $1,200-$1,300 range. So, I certainly wouldn't pay $1,200 for a used one.

Assuming the kick pedal and throne aren't crap, I'd guess $900 is probably a decent deal. I would, however, insist on dropping by and kicking the tires before you buy it. You'll want to make sure it hasn't been abused.

Also, if the seller says he only bought it new "a few months ago," be sure it is indeed consistent with the most recent TD-6 model:
                      http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...x?ObjectId=804

If you look at it and the module's casing is blue instead of black or it has a rubber pad for the hi-hat instead of a CY-5, he's selling you a much older model that should be priced accordingly.

Best of luck.
                      I just checked the pictures again and it is indeed the set with the black module and the actual hi-hat instead of a rubber pad. I am definitely going to try it and see but it definitely looks like it was played a few times if that (he also said this in the listing). I just noticed on the listing that he shows the picture of all of the boxes it came in and the outside main box say TD-6KW. What is the difference between that and 6SW? I just want to know before I buy. The kick pedal is a Pearl P-900 and the throne looks like a mid range pearl one. Both look good in the pictures to be honest. I don't see any wear at all on any of the pads in the pictures. They literally look brand new. Should I be looking for certain signs? What type of wear is acceptable? If all the criteria is met, is this a pretty good deal? I did a search before I made an offer and I consistently saw the 6SW/KW listed for the prices you stated or above and that's before shipping (Musicians Friend even has it as a clearance item for $1500!). I figure if it is indeed pretty much like new, than saving $300-$500 would be worth it in the long run. I asked him and he stated he purchased it brand new from Guitar Center in late February.
                      Last edited by YOTR; 06-29-08, 02:14 PM.

Comment

The KW looks like the later model as the SW is discontinued at retailers.

Sorry look here: http://vdrums.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-28881.html

The explanation I got was that the "K" is Rolands international designation for their kits. I have a TD6SXT which came in the main box marked TD6KXT on the outside. The "S" designation is U.S. only. So, the TD6KW is what we see as the TD6SW and the TD6KX is what is sold here as the TD6SX the "X" designates all mesh pads. The "W" is rubber pads. Confusing to say the least ! ! !
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Last edited by pasta; 06-29-08, 03:48 PM.

http://tinyurl.com/My-E-kit

Comment

Sounds like a deal then. Go for it. Just ask him to have it set up so you can test it out. Dial through the kits and give them a quick test. Wiggle the cables around to check for shorts (even if there is a problem with one, they're cheap and easy to replace). Play each pad to check for triggering. If all looks and sounds good, take it home.
                          >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

I think that you all missed a very important point to tell him..
                            especially for an acoustic drummer.

u need positional sensing in order to enjoy a real life drums..
                            other wise, no matter where you hit the pad you will get the same sound.
                            the only module (today .. ) that allow you to do that are the

td12 (1000$) and the td 20 (4000$)

so this is the starting price...
                            1000$ just for the brain ,....

Comment

Originally posted by overg View Post
                              I think that you all missed a very important point to tell him..
                              especially for an acoustic drummer.

u need positional sensing in order to enjoy a real life drums..
                              other wise, no matter where you hit the pad you will get the same sound.
                              the only module (today .. ) that allow you to do that are the

td12 (1000$) and the td 20 (4000$)

so this is the starting price...
                              1000$ just for the brain ,....
                              Actually, I think you missed a very important point ... the guy has a budget of $800-$1200 to get his first e-drum kit. Are you suggesting that we tell every newcomer to e-drums that if he can't afford a TD-12 or a TD-20 that he is S.O.L. and should just go away?

I think everyone who replied here made it clear that, when it comes to e-drums, you really do tend to get what you pay for. I think YOTR was probably smart enough to know that he won't be getting everything the TD-20 has to offer at a TD-6 price.

Oh, and the TD-10 and even my lowly TD-8 (both discontinued but still widely available in the second-hand market for under your suggested starting price of $1,000) offer some degree of positional sensing, so "real life drums" can be had even on a modest budget.
                              >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Working...
                              X