Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9 or 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 or 12

TD9
    20.00%
    TD12
    80.00%

though there are other factors - do you want the learner assits on the 9, like being able to mute different parts of the backing tracks, the scope function, etc...or do you want the tweakability of the 12...listen to both to decide which has better sound quality in your ears....

myself, i still think the way to go for novices is first a 9, then save up for a td 30 when we get that......
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

The learner functions arent really that important to me.... i just dont want to go and fork out the money for a TD12 for it to be replaced in a couple of months by better. I like the sequencing possibilities of the 12 and mucking about on cubase. But i was kind of pushing it pricewise with the 9, nevermind having to fork out on an extra for the 12 + HH stand. Would the 9 be limited in its abilities on cubase?

Comment

you know, from the lack of response to your questions (this forum is usually very garrulous), I think people are just hitting the poll and moving on.

I suggest that you re-ask this question under the 'suggestions' headline, and remember to ask about sequencing and cubase...hopefully that will provoke more responses...

until then, the 9 doesnt have a sequencer like the 12 does, but it can send midi out to the cubase sequencer - but just drum information - I think but am not sure that the 12 can send more pattern info....though I am not sure what you would do on the 12 that you cant do yourself in cubase, i e load samples, play in midi or vst insturments...etc.---

anyway, hope more people answer if you move it to suggestions...

Comment

12 of course

12 is far superior with Positional Detection, sequencer, on board mixer and more V edit capabilities, also sharing the TD20 sound engine i believe? ... if u have a 9 and u play a 12 or 20 with some good Vex patches you wouldn't wanna play the 9 again.

The 9 is just a new boxa tricks although very good and is there to bridge the gap between the TD3 and TD20 replacing the now defunked TD6 ...

Dave (that's my view)
          WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
          YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
          FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
          :eek: ...
          Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
          Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

Comment

I voted but didn't initially comment......

So here I go...

I voted for the 12 over the 9. I'll probably be making a jump of 9 (TD-3 to TD-12) soon.

it has been very often said, get the most module you can afford because it's cheaper in the long run then continually upgrading. There are posts of people fairly quickly going up to the next branch up on the module family tree.

The TD-12 will just do more than the TD-9, you can tweak the sounds more, the volume sliders look like they'd be nice too. I often look for the weakest link, the all in one cable with the TD-9 might be a weak link.

Michael

TD-3 KW; Pintech mesh snare, toms and Dingbat; Tama HP200 pedal; PM-10 monitor; Zildjian anti-vibe sticks; Sound Percussion throne; stock TD-3 cymbals (for now, any suggestions??)
            Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
              you know, from the lack of response to your questions (this forum is usually very garrulous), I think people are just hitting the poll and moving on...
              It may be that people are witholding comments for lack of direct experience with both modules.

Since I own the TD20, and the TD12 is the next best to that, I would take the TD12 over the TD9. Actually, with VdrumLib, you can access a lot of the crippled features of the TD12. Then you're just missing the extra direct outs and a few other bells.

Comment

I just upgraded from a 9kx to a 12. I'm new to drumming so the learning functions on the 9 were cool. But I didn't find myself using them all that often. I just plug in my iPod and play. I find the sound quality on the 12 to be a quantum leap from the 9. And the dynamic range on the 12 if far superior. Don't get me wrong...the 9 is a great kit, I just prefer the 12. But like they say...get the best module you can afford. You won't be disappointed.
                Where am I?

Comment

Im gutted!!! Went to the shop to get the TD12, but someone had been in an hour earlier and bought it, it was the last one at that price (same price as TD9 RRP).... absolutely gutted!!!!.... awe well looks like my mind has been made up for me as there is no way i can afford to spend the money on a td12 now. TD9 it is, i just hope i can expand its functions with my laptop and cubase, to maybe come close to the capabilities of the TD12 (although i will miss out on positional sensing). I was really looking forward to the sequencing functions, i've seen a lot of demos where a cymbal hit produces a different note with each hit, think it was on the newage kit....
                  what i mean can be seen here ( but hopefully my timing wont be so dung),
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcBjKse3kLo
                  Is this possible on TD9 and cubase?

Comment

td-9

I would buy the td-9 and then get the td-20 updated module later. The td-9 has some much more realistic sounds than the td-12. Try kit # 1 with some minor editing. There are very few good sounds,but the maple toms and custom snare and hi hat are more like the tdw-20 sounds.

I will post a mix of a recent song soon.

Comment

Td-9 recording

Here is a short bit of a jam with the td-9 and my band from last night. I think the td-9 sounds are much better than anything other than the tdw-20. I will definitely get that when it comes out.

Peter Warren
                      www.makuru.net
                      Attached Files

Comment

12 over 9....
                        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Sound quality

The TD-9 is newer than both the TD-12 and TD-20! The sounds in the TD-12 and TD-20 are equal quality. But are the sounds in the TD-12/20 better than the TD-9?

From a marketing point of view you would expect the TD-12/20 to have better sounds, but I am beginning to think that it is not the sound quality that distinguishes the TD-12/20 but just the added features (outputs, number of triggers, expansion slot, few more COSM parameters etc.)

Are the raw sounds (no effects) of the TD-12/TD-20 substantially better than the TD-9. I hope so! Can anyone explain this to me?

Comment

I'm going TD-9 based on my needs as a new drummer and the interface into the module. It seemed the right fit from me on both fronts and I will be using the training aspects of the 9. Buy what's right for you - both are very nice. I played with both (more like abused them, given the current talent level) and was impressed with both...
                            "...regardless of what you play, the biggest thing is keeping the feel going ..." - Wes Montgomery

Comment

Originally posted by cschriks View Post
                              The TD-9 is newer than both the TD-12 and TD-20! The sounds in the TD-12 and TD-20 are equal quality. But are the sounds in the TD-12/20 better than the TD-9?

From a marketing point of view you would expect the TD-12/20 to have better sounds, but I am beginning to think that it is not the sound quality that distinguishes the TD-12/20 but just the added features (outputs, number of triggers, expansion slot, few more COSM parameters etc.)

Are the raw sounds (no effects) of the TD-12/TD-20 substantially better than the TD-9. I hope so! Can anyone explain this to me?
                              People have argued that is this forum, with some people saying si and some saying so. The 12/20 d0 have much better tweaking and COSM things yes...but many of us feel that the sounds of the 9,raw, as you asked are better...try to listen to both and make your decision...

Comment

Working...
                              X