Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best DVD Drumming solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best DVD Drumming solution?

I was wondering what was the best DVD solution for learning on the drums. I've seen only two, and both looked really good. I want one with all styles of music in it, thanks, your help will be appreciated!

You'll be hard pressed to find one that encompasses everything.

I can recommend a few differnet drummers that have put out instructional DVD's that you might like:

Dave Weckl: Pick up one from earlier in his career (still playing matched grip) then one from later (he switches back and forth from traditional grip to matched)
    Chad Smith: (Red Hot Chili Peppers) Some instructional/some fun jam with Flea
    Bernard Purdie: -Purdie shuffle- very good exercises in ghost notes
    Horacio Hernandez : afro-cuban stuff..good excercises in independence
    Virgil Donati- awesome for double bass technique (good for single too, but focuses more on double bass)

-That should be enough to get you motivated/started for now.

If you're brand new, some of these will be too advanced as you haven't developed enough stick/foot control or muscle memory to pull off clean, but they are something to shoot for.

Also get "Stick Control" by George Stone. and "4 way Coordination: a Method Book" by Dahlgren and Fine. These are old as dirt..and still valuable learning tools. There are various updates to them that you can research on your own too...but the books mentioned, if practiced with a metronome regularly will get you on the way to building killer chops.

E
    - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

I'll put in a vote for Ultimate Drumming Solution by Jack Bennett (search for my mini-review). Info at www.icanplaydrums.com. Go online and you can try before you buy.
      . digitalDrummer
      Review index

Comment

Yeah that looks really good , and that's what I'm leaning towards considering the ones that evil1rox are tempting but more on the expensive side per DVD. But I was also wondering about the ones made by Jared Falk, they look pretty good, has anyone here tried them or heard about them or their services?

Thanks again !

And I have already purchased the stick control book, ill look up on that 4 way Coordination book, thank you.

Comment

I have two very good recommendations for you.

Absolute beginner:
          Tommy Igoe Groove Essentials

After a bit:
          Ultimate Realistic Rock Drum Method - Carmine Appice

Comment

Dave weckl - back to basics
            and Tommy igoe - getting started on drums and groove essentials. All great dvd's for beginners but it depends were your at with your playing as to what dvd's are best...
            My Kit
            http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

Thank you guys, but I am not looking for absolute beginner DVD's. I'm pretty sure I've passed that point, I hope

I'm probably going to go with the Ultimate Drumming solution, it seems cheap for its content, and it has all styles of music and everything I'm looking for all in one.

Unless there are any better deals out there.

Thank you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by jmn View Post
                Thank you guys, but I am not looking for absolute beginner DVD's. I'm pretty sure I've passed that point, I hope

I'm probably going to go with the Ultimate Drumming solution, it seems cheap for its content, and it has all styles of music and everything I'm looking for all in one.

Unless there are any better deals out there.

Thank you guys!
                Do you have a Guitar Center or Sam Ash in your area? Usually they have some drum DVD's running in the drum room. Ask them to pop in a few to preview them. I used to do that all the time for customers back in my GC days.

They'll probably have a stack of them behind the counter that you can take a look at/preview in the store.

E
                - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

My latest DVD purchase was Steve Smith's History of U.S beat ( or something like that...) I thought it was great. He slowly shows you his feet and hand technique and his amazing time keeping skills. Great if you are a beginner or experienced.
                  Plus, it's full of cool solos where he just goes off....lots of fun.
                  I could be the Walrus, but I'd still have to bum rides from people.

Comment

Originally posted by jmn View Post
                    But I was also wondering about the ones made by Jared Falk, they look pretty good, has anyone here tried them or heard about them or their services?
                    I just purchased the Rock Drumming Kit by Jared Falk. I was concerned at first that the content was just rehashed stuff you can get for free on freedrumlessons.com. And some of it is. (I bought the FreeDrumLessons.com content as well.) But still for $100 I got a lot more than I would get for the two or three one-on-one lessons I would have gotten for the same $$$.

I'm a little dissapointed in the recording quality of the rock drumming kit. I think the FreeDrumLessons.com content is more refined, the Rock Drumming Kit looks like it's taped in his basement. But the actual lesson content has been good. I was tempted to jump ahead to Intermediate, because it looked so easy. I am a beginner, I've worked on rudiments and some basics, but what looks easy on paper, can be a bit more difficult actually doing it. So instead of jumping ahead I'm going through starting at beginner and trucking a long. For me it helps to have a book, to have some concrete that I should practice. It has helped me focus on pratice rather than jumping around. That's what I hoped it would do, and it has. So far I've used the books primarily and the video as a backup if I have questions.

I can't give a great review because I am a beginner and haven't made my way through a lot of it yet. I'm probably half way through the beginner book. There's Intermediate, Advanced, and Play Along yet. I was a little disappointed in some of the books sizes though, they're not big. I can give more details if anyone has specific questions.

I also bought the single-hand drum roll and maybe one other lesson from his stuff.

others videos worth mentioning that I liked... Thomas Lang, Steve Smith, and JoJo Mayer

Comment

evil1rox - I live in Canada, makes it even harder to look for music equipment I looked at their websites, and I couldn't find any stores in Canada.

Haha, you guys are making this harder, I can't decide!

I'm still leaning towards the UDS or some of Jared Falk's DVD's because purchasing on the internet makes it a lot easier, since Long and Mcquade (my local music store) doesn't have DVDs that I have seen anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_ View Post
                        I just purchased the Rock Drumming Kit by Jared Falk. I was concerned at first that the content was just rehashed stuff you can get for free on freedrumlessons.com. And some of it is. (I bought the FreeDrumLessons.com content as well.) But still for $100 I got a lot more than I would get for the two or three one-on-one lessons I would have gotten for the same $$$.

I'm a little dissapointed in the recording quality of the rock drumming kit. I think the FreeDrumLessons.com content is more refined, the Rock Drumming Kit looks like it's taped in his basement. But the actual lesson content has been good. I was tempted to jump ahead to Intermediate, because it looked so easy. I am a beginner, I've worked on rudiments and some basics, but what looks easy on paper, can be a bit more difficult actually doing it. So instead of jumping ahead I'm going through starting at beginner and trucking a long. For me it helps to have a book, to have some concrete that I should practice. It has helped me focus on pratice rather than jumping around. That's what I hoped it would do, and it has. So far I've used the books primarily and the video as a backup if I have questions.

I can't give a great review because I am a beginner and haven't made my way through a lot of it yet. I'm probably half way through the beginner book. There's Intermediate, Advanced, and Play Along yet. I was a little disappointed in some of the books sizes though, they're not big. I can give more details if anyone has specific questions.

I also bought the single-hand drum roll and maybe one other lesson from his stuff.

others videos worth mentioning that I liked... Thomas Lang, Steve Smith, and JoJo Mayer

I agree with your comments. I just got the DVDs. They are not bad but I was expecting more. There are actually some grooves in the Beginner book that are rather tricky with your independence. However, at $17 per half-hour for lessons, the books are well worth it. I am not new to drumming but I haven’t played a kit since high school 20 years ago so this is a good refresher. I never learned to read music so I think it is money well spent. My son is also using them so I cant complain. I gotta tell ya the paneling on the walls gives me flashbacks. I swear those drums are sitting on shag carpet in the video.
                        Last edited by csnow; 06-25-08, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X