Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD9 Features?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD9 Features?

Hi,

I posted a while ago asking for advice on whether to go for a Roland TD9 or a TD12 kit to learn on. Thanks to everyone who replied, the info was useful.

I more or less settled on the TD9 but the guys at my local drum shop are a bit vague about what features it has that can help to improve my playing.

Can anyone tell me exactly what advantages the TD9 has that make it a better tool for leaning on?

Thanks,

Paul.

Chapter 4, "Practicing" (only four pages), in the downloadable TD-9 manual PDF will give you a good overview of the Metronome, Quick Record/Payback and Scope functions: TD-9 Owners Manual.

A TD-12 does not have Quick Record/Playback or Scope functions.

Bruce
    Last edited by BarT; 06-24-08, 09:33 AM. Reason: Deleted scope display attachment; change already in PDF manual

Comment

Again, as a raw beginner, I found the scope function really really helpful...cant you try it out at the shop? Especially for I was trying to play shuffle, or to push or drag the timing...
      TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
      ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
      not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Cheers

Thanks for the info.

I didn't think to download and look at the TD-9 manual.

It's a lot clearer now.

Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Dundrummiing View Post
          Thanks for the info.

I didn't think to download and look at the TD-9 manual.

It's a lot clearer now.

Paul.
          Though i think it's alarming that as they add new features, the manuals get thinner...what arent they telliing us? is it their version of 'easter eggs'?

Comment

I just recently bought the TD9 and am loving it. Will the aforementioned scope and metronome are awesome tools to help you learn, I also found that the USB port is probably my favorite feature. I'll usually get songs into a .wav format and just play along to those over and over again. Also, while not exclusive to the TD-9, the songs are awesome to play along with, slow down, drop the drums out and practice. The quick record is also very nice. It pretty much gives you all the tools to refine your play.

Comment

Originally posted by Aumni View Post
              I just recently bought the TD9 and am loving it. Will the aforementioned scope and metronome are awesome tools to help you learn, I also found that the USB port is probably my favorite feature. I'll usually get songs into a .wav format and just play along to those over and over again. Also, while not exclusive to the TD-9, the songs are awesome to play along with, slow down, drop the drums out and practice. The quick record is also very nice. It pretty much gives you all the tools to refine your play.
              glad you like it! remember, you can mute other things besides the drums, for instance, everthing except for the bass, and just jam to that...or mute everything except the drums, and learn their chops!

you can get more backing tracks from the roland vdrum site, but they are mp3s that you have to play in through the mix in...

keep the beat!

Comment

Is there a minimum or maximum size flash drive required or can I use any size?
                It's not a matter of luck...it's just a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderbread View Post
                  Is there a minimum or maximum size flash drive required or can I use any size?
                  for the usb? I havent come across anythiung, I use an mp3 player doubling as mobile memory myself....there is a limit to the size of any one song though, 2GB, and I have a vague memory of it not being able to handle more than 99 songs on the usb stick...

Comment

Maximum of 32GB but no minimum for the USB according to Roland's Drew Armentrout.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                      Maximum of 32GB but no minimum for the USB according to Roland's Drew Armentrout.
                      Bruce
                      Spec update - (quoted from the TD-9 Service Manual):

"Use a USB memory device having a capacity of 32 MB or more."

Comment

Cool, thanks guys. I bought the Hodge Podge vex pack for the 9 and had to load it thru the USB, thats why I was askin'
                        It's not a matter of luck...it's just a matter of time.

Comment

The thing that bewilders me is that the TD9 can handle a 32 Gig card but only 99 wav files. 99 standard length songs in wav format take up 4 or 5 gigs. So the only real way to fully utilize a large card is to put the songs you DON'T want to hear in sub folders and keep jockeying the ones you DO want out to the root level. Unfortunate.
                          Unless you have 99 copies of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Comment

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
                            The thing that bewilders me is that the TD9 can handle a 32 Gig card but only 99 wav files. 99 standard length songs in wav format take up 4 or 5 gigs. So the only real way to fully utilize a large card is to put the songs you DON'T want to hear in sub folders and keep jockeying the ones you DO want out to the root level.
                            Hey, there's my favourite TD-9 'fault' again. So there's no suitable use for a large card. Unless you have really loooooooooooong songs. Or maybe the intention was that you should mix dozens of songs into one large wav file?

Requested features for the TD-9 SP1: ability to play mp3 (and maybe other) files, get rid of the dumb 99 files limit and folder navigation.

Comment

lots of things bewilder me, in general but specifically about the usb...are they really taser hanging out the back or are you taking the, nah, of course you wont, i just cant get the taser to work

but also, roland provides more backing tracks on their V drum site for us to download, but they are in mp3 format...they are incompatible with themselves! you would think they would provide tracks in a format that the machine can read (yes I know, I download them to my mp3 player and connect it in to the mix in instead of the usb...but still...)

of course if you use the max song size of 2 Gb (loop your songs, a lot!), you could only have 16 minus what you need for VEX and your own drum kits

Comment

Working...
                              X