Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland TDW-20 Expansion Board for TD-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TDW-20 Expansion Board for TD-20

EDIT: I'm placing these links to Roland product pages for when videos become available. If they are post at a different link, I will change it and/or delete the extras. - Alan

TDW-20 Product Page: http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...72&ParentId=72
    TD-20 Kit Page: http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...99&ParentId=60
    V-Drums.com Page: http://www.roland.com/V-Drums/
    Roland Product Database: http://www.roland.com/products/en/TDW-20/index.html (see demo area)

Although many of the features of the TDW-20 have been published for over a week, here is an overview of some features with additional details, and my own first hand impressions. Before posting this, I was playing a TD-20 kit with (the latest version) of the TDW-20 installed..the same version that will be shown at NAMM. I will post additional information when possible, and clarifications when necessary. My posts are likely going to be less frequent, so hopefully this additional information will be helpful and informative.

Note: At the Roland booth at Summer NAMM, the TDW-20 will be demonstrated by Johnny Rabb as well as David Garza. Videos will be shot during the show by the Roland crew and will be posted on RolandUS.com ASAP.

Sounds:
    "There are many new sounds in the TDW-20 including brand new acoustic drums, stacked cymbals, be-bop drum sounds, vintage drums, processed drums, and many more."

In a word... incredible. It's difficult to comment on every sound, and to truly appreciate the quality you have to hear, (and of course play the kit). Here are some of my own impressions. **The hi-hat response is greatly improved as well, especially when you open the hats. You're gonna love it!**

Kicks: Punchy, full-bodied kicks, many with lots of depth and resonance as well as terrific dynamic range. Several vintage kicks including great be-bop, big band and jazz combo kicks, and some new maple, birch, and other standouts like 22" NCMaple, 22" RokVntage, 22" SonVntage, 24" Vista to name a few. Also included are several unique processed and vintage electronic kicks including 808, 909 and and more.

Snares: Wow. An assortment of brass, bronze, maple, and other snares that resonate, ring, cut, and are a joy to play. Vintage snares that are fat, wet, and thick. Can you say "50s King" and "Phonic"? These two alone had me grinning ear to ear. Piccolos, 10" and 12" snares. Also a strong assortment of processed snares that are punchy and extremely useful and a selection of new cross stick sounds derived from wood, steel, brass and other snare shells are included.

Toms:
    Another big Wow! The toms sound great. Like all the sounds, they really must be played to be appreciated. Great attack, tone and resonance throughout. Terrific dynamic range. Some of the lower pitched toms are truly impressive, you can almost "feel" the bottom head resonating from underneath the pad. A selection of 8" tom sounds are included as well.

Cymbals: Arguably, one of the highlights of the TDW-20. There are crashes and rides (including vintage) that almost made me weep. Dark, Jazz, and pop crashes that are full with great attack and sustain. The rides are equally impressive. Sorry to gush, but a couple remind me so much of the acoustic version (HvyDkRd, KSpec, and VinZ to name but three) that I couldn't stop playing them. The new stacked cymbals are terrific, with much attention to detail where you can clearly hear overtones from the smaller upper cymbal as it "contacts" the cymbal it is "sitting" on. Very cool. New hi-hats such as 13" KZ Comb and 14" CustDk are a couple of standouts.

Percussion: I will post more on sounds when possible, but there are some new percussion sounds worth mentioning including some excellent timbales, timpani, cajon, darbuka, an unbelievable concert bass drum, and an very impressive set of Taiko drums (especially the lower pitched Nagado drum).

NEW Footswitch /Aux Functions:

Assign external footswitches and/or Aux (3 & 4) pads (head and Rim) to Strainer (Snares on/off), fixed Hat (Drop clutch), Ambience (on/off) or MFX (on/off).

New COSM parameters:

Kick:Snare:RIMToms:Hi-Hat:CymbalsAmbience: New Instrument Copy Functions:Mix in parameters:
    A signal connected the MIX In jack can be set to L + R, L only, or R only - in Stereo or Mono, with a separate gain control setting.

U.S. MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price): $599.00 (USD)
    U.S. MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) $495.00 (USD)

Approximate U.S. initial shipment: September, 2008

I will post more later today..... Gotta go!
    Last edited by Alan VEX; 05-03-15, 07:20 PM.

Thanks for the update, Drew!

Do you know if Roland is planning on selling an expanded module (TD-20 with pre-installed TDW-20 card). If so, what is MAP and availability?

-SD-

Comment

Thanks Drew... Stuck!
      Alan
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Awesome stuff Drew.
        I have my card ordered.

Comment

Double woot! I can't wait to hear it.
          sigpic

Comment

just found the first price for it in Scandiland: 2677Skr, means about 435 dollars...and this is not the cheapest company, just the first one to have a price up....
            TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
            ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
            not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by Drew Armentrout View Post
              Next Door is like listening to the drums through a wall!
              Should be handy for apartment dwellers dealing with complaining neighbours. Press "Demo" before answering the door and then say, "Yeah, I can hear that too. Where the hell's it coming from?"

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                Should be handy for apartment dwellers dealing with complaining neighbours. Press "Demo" before answering the door and then say, "Yeah, I can hear that too. Where the hell's it coming from?"

Bruce
                LMAO... now, that was good.
                Alan
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Thanks a lot Drew.... Just want you to know we very much appreciate all the time and effort you put into keeping us informed..... I know how hard that is for you during these hectic trade shows..... We luv ya man
                  I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                  Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

The review doesn't post any "cons," how can we take it seriously?
                    Music is not my passion, it's my obsession...
                    www.oblyvion.com
                    Facebook:[Scych]
                    You Tube Scychful
                    Twitter:@Raakinn

Comment

Thanks Drew! Really exciting stuff. Can't wait for the videos, and looking forward to the pre-order getting delivered.
                      . . . . . . . . . .

"Make me an instrument of your peace..."

Comment

Originally posted by havyck View Post
                        The review doesn't post any "cons," how can we take it seriously?
                        It's not a review...it's a detailed list of features and personal impressions from a "somewhat" biased and enthusiastic Roland employee who tries not to take himself too seriously.

Hopefully, any "cons" will be ironed out by the time the TDW-20 ships.

I'm actually looking forward to reading the comments of those who are attending Summer NAMM...warts and all.

Comment

I am really chompin' at the bit to hear those Taiko Samples!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                            I am really chompin' at the bit to hear those Taiko Samples!
                            Sounds for your E Taiko ..... man you must have paid off Drew to get those new Taiko sounds in the module
                            I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                            Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Is Interval Control still limited to snare, cymbal and ride?

Comment

Working...
                              X