Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick TD-9 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick TD-9 Review

Hi All,
    Just sold my TD-8 and bought a brand spankin new TD-9. First let me say...I got a great price and super fast delivery from a company called RMCAudio....http://www.rmcaudio.com/ , very pleased w/ their service!

Ok...now on to the review...when I first plugged the thing in and hooked it up to my current pads(KD-120, PD-120, PD-100, PD-100, CY-15, CY12r, VH-11 - basically a bastardized version of the older V-session)...I started to panic(the TD-8 was in the mail to its new home)......the toms...and cymbals were cranking loud..and the snare was almost non- existant! once I settled down ...I was able to find the global setting that adjusted the overall mix...since I owned the TD-8 I was used to using the sliders to balance the kit out. Once I found that setting I was in heaven....Granted the TD-9 only has 50 kits...however..what roland did was put about 20 really usable kits in the module! The TD-8 had maybe 4 or 5 kits that you would ever even consider using out live or with a band. Most of that module was what I would call novelty sounds...which are fun..however not really applicable in a band setting.

What I really like about this module is the response of the VH-11, and CY-15 ride. My biggest complaint with V-drums has always been the feel of the Hi-Hat....which was the main reason I bought the VH-11 for my TD-8 kit...it was better than my old fixed position hi-hat...but not much...now w/ the td-9...I really feel the difference. The ride is also way more responsive. I was also particulary impressed w/ the natural cymbal sounds. All in all the drum sounds on the TD-9 are way more "natural" sounding!

This module has burried some of the settings a bit in the interface..but that was prolly done by design to "clean up" the overall look of the actual module. Its something I'll get used to in a very short time. The Play-along songs are excellent and the Quick record is very handy. Scope and click settings are also very useable. Mix in Feature is nice...however I haven't found a way to increase volume like you could on the TD-8.

One minor complaint is you can't route the click to the headphones as you could in the TD-8. Also you only have two outputs to a PA system.. but honestly I've never seperated the 4 outputs on my td-8....I usually ran it mono out to the board anyway...so not a big deal in my world. I haven't messed w/ the usb function yet...

Overall I love the natural sounds of the module and feel it will def. add to the overall sound of any band. The simplicity of the unit also is a great plus!

-dm

Originally posted by DrumMonkey View Post
    Hi All,
    ....Granted the TD-9 only has 50 kits...
    Great review, and I am pleased with the TD9 as well. Don't forget, that when you get into the USB feature....you can make 10 backups of the module to each USB stick. That means you can make 500 different kits to load in at any time.

Comment

Nice review! Keep 'em coming! Did you consider the TD-12 when looking into replacing your old TD-8? If so, how does the TD-9 stack up? I'm torn between the two modules. I like the simplicity of the TD-9, as well as the price, but don't want to sacrifice too much when it comes to overall sound quality.
      Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the info...Can't wait to get into the uSB stuff..I have those sticks laying all around the house!

Comment

Td-12, Td-9

HI Doug,
          A friend of mine has a TD-12 and I was able to play on it for quite a few hours and I really think the TD-9 has better Natural sounding drums...However..the TD-12 has alot of features that I really don't use....I was really looking for a more simple module that had great 'real' sounding drums. In all honesty ..when I play out...I use one drum kit...in the module...using multiple kits will make a sound man pull his hair out....cause he'll have to re-level every time you switch...Kind of like when a guitar player uses a fender strat...then switches over to a les paul! One good thing I did a few years ago when I bought the kit was I invested in very good pads.....that way I can ..upgrade the module every couple years...After I sold my TD-8 and I bought the TD-9...I think the difference in price was like 220 bucks....which was very affordable...now...if I would of bought the TD-12...you are talking another 1k...which gets into....some bucks! Now keep in mind....I'm not the type of player that's going to utilize all that midi, stuff....so why pay for it?

-dm

Comment

dm - This information is very helpful!!! I'm not into doing a lot of tweaking and from other reviews I've read, the TD-12 requires a lot of tweaking out of the box to make the pre-set kits come alive. If the TD-9 has a few natural sounding kits, I think it will fit my needs without breaking the bank. My main goal is to have an electronic kit that I can practice on without disturbing the neighbors. The sound quality, however, is extremely important. More so than all of the other bells and whistles.
            Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Comment

its for you

no problem doug...I think this module might be the one for you then...sounds like you have similar needs as me. one hint you might want to use is...guitar center has a 30 day no haggle return policy...you might want to get the td-9 home and play w/ it for a month..if it fits keep it..if it doesn't ...take it back and invest in the TD-12.

-dm

Comment

I've done my homework and there is a $500 difference between the two modules. I just trying to figure out what I get for that extra $500 and whether it's worth it given my needs. I can afford either but would obviously like to avoid spending more than I have to if I can get several high-quality sounding kits out of the TD-9.

Comment

Working...
                X