Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum FAQs section for answers to forum related FAQs.

Should I send my CY5 to Roland for Repair?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vdrummer20
    Registered Member
    • 03-2008

Should I send my CY5 to Roland for Repair?

Regarding this issue, is it worth sending the CY5 to Roland for Repair? It was purchased in November 2006 so I doubt it is under warrenty. Any thoughts? I have not taken it apart yet to see what the issue is.
  • Colquhoun
    Registered Member
    • 03-2008

I would think that since it's not under warranty, after shipping and repair charges, you'd be better off spending the $75-$85 for a new one.

Comment

• vdrummer20
      Registered Member
      • 03-2008

yeah. Kills me to do so. Is this typical? I am not a basher. The other pads seem fine.

Comment

• vdrummer20
        Registered Member
        • 03-2008

What about the Kit Toys splash? Is that similar in cost? Is it a dual trigger? I am guessing I could always try to repair this myself or turn it in to a DIY splash ... You don't want me messing with a solder iron , trust me. I am a SW guy.

Comment

• SiliconDrummer
          Registered Member
          • 06-2003

Just read your original post, and not sure I understand your problem. Are you saying that you can trigger ONLY edge sounds, no matter where you hit the cymbal? So, when you hit the edge, you get the edge, but when you hit the bow, you still get the edge sound (unless you whack it REALLY hard)?

If so, then it sounds like you might have a short to ground on the edge signal. This could be the switch physically stuck closed, but it also could be on the connector or cable, or any place along that signal path.

-SD-

Comment

• vdrummer20
            Registered Member
            • 03-2008

No, the edge trigger itself works perfectly as far as I can tell. The bow trigger does not. You need to hit it really hard to get it to fire. This came overnight which is odd.

Comment

• SiliconDrummer
              Registered Member
              • 06-2003

Originally posted by vdrummer20
              No, the edge trigger itself works perfectly as far as I can tell. The bow trigger does not. You need to hit it really hard to get it to fire.
              That is very odd because you cannot get an edge sound from a CY-5 if the bow trigger doesn't trigger. Basically, the CY-5 is like ALL Roland CY cymbals and it has only 1 piezo. It also has a rim switch that is normally open, but it closes when you strike the edge.

When you hit the CY-5, the piezo will trigger the sound. If your module senses the piezo trigger event, then it ALSO checks the state of the edge switch. If the edge switch is open, then it uses the piezo velocity to play the bow sound. If it is closed, then it uses the piezo velocity to play the edge sound. However, if the piezo doesn't trigger, then it never bothers to check the switch, nor play a sound.

So, as you can see, your situation is very strange and you have piqued my curiosity. There must be some information missing from this story, but I'm not sure what it is. Can you go back and do more checking so that we can help you figure this out.

BTW, do you have an ohmmeter so that you can do some continuity checks?

-SD-

Comment

• daveybabes
                Registered Member
                • 02-2008

Hi dude

No, the edge trigger itself works perfectly as far as I can tell. The bow trigger does not. You need to hit it really hard to get it to fire. This came overnight which is odd.
                I would be itchin to take that baby apart and "experiment" try a new piezo? see what its made of, strip it down and maybe post some pics here so that we can get a better idea?

A picture speaks a thousand words ...

EDIT - just taken mine apart, under the jack board looks like a 35mm piezo and then a strip goes off to the rim, maybe the piezo has expired or wires come off ?

Looks easy to try another piezo on there, 2 wires yep.
                Last edited by daveybabes; 06-19-08, 05:26 PM.
                WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
                YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
                FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
                :eek: ...
                Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
                Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

Comment

• vdrummer20
                  Registered Member
                  • 03-2008

thx all. I am leaving on vaca but when I come back I will check this out.

Comment

• vdrummer20
                    Registered Member
                    • 03-2008

So, as you can see, your situation is very strange
                    What I was hoping for was "yes we all know what this is and it is an easy fix"

Comment

• daveybabes
                      Registered Member
                      • 02-2008

Nothing is impossible

What I was hoping for was "yes we all know what this is and it is an easy fix"

Send it over here, i will fix it for ya ...

Dave
                      WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
                      YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
                      FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
                      :eek: ...
                      Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
                      Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

Comment

• vdrummer20
                        Registered Member
                        • 03-2008

Quick update. opened the pad up. the solder connection broke and resulted in intermittent connectivity. Quick trip to radio shack for an $8 solder iron and the pad works as good as new! I am amazed how simple the pad is (I did not look at the switch / rim construction). Well now that I have the solder iron I am that much closer to a DIY 14" mesh snare! Thanks to all for the help.

Comment

• talkative
                          Registered Member
                          • 10-2009

vdrummer20,
                          cy5_pcb_small.jpg
                          I had the exact same problem just the other day. Your post saved me from buying another CY-5 cymbal, so it definitely didn't only happen to you, so thanks for this post and for following-up on the solution.

For any normal hits, my CY-5 just decided to stop making sound on any HEAD hits the other day and it would only respond on the RIM.

This was really odd to me since I was having (other) problems with my CY-5 already, which I documented (and fixed) weeks ago here:

So everything was working smoothly after I fixed it, until just the other day. I took the rubber off again and cleaned it and didn't think to unscrew the bottom to check the circuit again (like I had before), and was ready to just order another one (and mumble something about this being an expensive hobby and moan about the downtime of not having a 'perfect' kit), until I read your post.

Actually if I hit the cymbal REALLY REALLY hard, it would make a sound if I hit it just above the area where the circuit board is located, but it wouldn't make a sound anywhere else. So I was a bit puzzled and thought it could be the jack. Plus I had to hit obscenely hard to get it to make any HEAD sound here (I guess I could make the disconnected wire just touch the solder contact by doing so), but for all intents and purposes, the HEAD trigger was not working with normal hits anywhere except the RIM, just like you documented.

I guess the only oddity for me is that my CY-5 failed due to other problems before getting this problem, but both have been solved now, which is pretty cool.

I am not super-impressed by the reliability of the CY-5 (to be fair it's likely hit the most though), but I am impressed by the simplicity of the cymbal and the ability to DIY repair like this. I guess the odd cymbal failure is what we have to live with if we want electronic drums, eh.

Thanks heaps for sharing your info.
                          Another CY-5 saved!

Comment

• pauldjackson
                            Registered Member
                            • 12-2012

Had the same thing happen to my son's hi-hat. He had to hit very, very hard to get any sort of connection, and I figured out it must be an open connection. Opened the back up, and voila! One of the two wires had broken the solder connection. Five minutes after the soldering iron was heated, the connection was resoldered, the cymbal put back together, and he was up and running. He had already ordered a replacement - now he's trying to figure out what to do with the "extra" money when he returns it. Thanks to this forum, it's all back to "normal."

Comment

• goatbut29
                              Registered Member
                              • 10-2012

Had the same exact thing happen to my CY-8 cymbal just last week!

I took all the screws out and the rubber cover and under that is another set of 4 screws holding down a little square piece.

Under there I could see the white wire had come un-soldered.
                              Such a tiny wire to handle my brutal beatings all these years!

The edge wire was still intact and fine so I sent it with the wife to work where welder friends are and they simple soldered the white wire back down again.

Free too!

Take it apart, bet dollars to donuts a wire has come undone. Good luck!
                              Last edited by goatbut29; 12-23-12, 12:54 PM. Reason: Hard to type with these hooves!
                              Sleep is the cousin of Death.

Comment

Working...