Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding a 2nd crash to a TD9..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a 2nd crash to a TD9..

Howdy.. i've had my TD9 for almost 3 months now, and i'm keen to add a second crash cymbal to the kit using one of the supplied spare inputs.

I rang the music store I purchased the kit from and they chased it up with roland, i'm just a bit shocked at the apparant cost involved, and wanted to check on here to see if this is out of the ordinary or not.

The CY-8 itself isn't a massive surprise at AUS $129, but the mounting clamp is apparently $179 ! and not available until mid july.

$179 strikes me as a frigging rip off for a plastic clamp with a ball jointed metal rod stuck to it. Especially after spending close to AUS $4000 already on the KX kit and all the usual accessories.

The shop guy said they had cymbal booms for accoustic kits for around $75, but i'd rather have the cy-8 mounted securely and neatly to the MDS9 rack than have to stuff around with separate stands and booms. I just can't believe how much roland are supposedly charging for this clamp. The clamp for a fourth tom pad ($395!) is $59, and as far as i know the basic difference is the ball joint, i'm not exactly seeing $179 worth of materials and engineering there..

I also wonder if the crash2 input actually maps to a fully distinct second crash sample or if it just triggers a pitched up/down crash 1 sound.

Thoughts..?

Prices

Here in the states a CY-8 runs around $85.00 and a MDY-10U runs $45.00-55.00. CY-8 should definitely cost more than the mount.
    Frequent GAS Sufferer

TD-9, RMP-12, RMP-5 & SonicCell on Gibraltar Quad Stands.

Comment

Something sounds fishy here. I think the mount should definitely not cost that much. Will a clamp for a Gibraltar rack work?
      Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Ah a part number, thats handy. Yeah can see it in some online stores now, looks like i might be better of getting it shipped from somewhere instead of buying it local..

Comment

Also, check out Allans online store - often they're cheaper than the bricks and mortar store and you can even arrange to pick it up in the store.
          . digitalDrummer
          Review index

Comment

Originally posted by Osmodiar View Post
            I also wonder if the crash2 input actually maps to a fully distinct second crash sample or if it just triggers a pitched up/down crash 1 sound.

Thoughts..?
            I also wondered about this, but when I got a second crash, I found that right out of the box, the new crash is an entirely different cymbal. Using kit #1 (V-Tour), the 1st crash is a 14", and adding a 2nd is a 16". And obviously, you can make any changes to it that you see fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumzilla View Post
              Here in the states a CY-8 runs around $85.00 and a MDY-10U runs $45.00-55.00. CY-8 should definitely cost more than the mount.
              In europe thomann sells the cy 12 for 169 euros and the holder for 77, but the cy 8 is only 69!

grumble over the price of the holder.....
              TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
              ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
              not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by Osmodiar View Post
                Ah a part number, thats handy. Yeah can see it in some online stores now, looks like i might be better of getting it shipped from somewhere instead of buying it local..
                The MDY-10U does not have a ball joint like your existing cymbal mounts.

The mount you got the quote for, although not yet available, probably does.

Bruce

Comment

I'm going to upgrade the recently bought in thomann td-9 ks with a third cymbal, (cy-8) and thought about the MILLENIUM DB-115, you can mount it on the spare arm mount left if you have a VH-11 hihat.

Comment

Working...
                  X