Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amplifier for TD-20S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplifier for TD-20S

I have a TD-20S kit and am thinking of purchasing a nice amplifier for home practice.
    I am not looking for a very high wattage but good sound for sure.

I kinda liked the PM-30 as it can be clamped on the rack providing a nice stereo effect. I am aware of other amplifiers but am not sure if it would be all that easy to place them in a stereo position.

To the owners of PM-30, is it really worth spending all that money for the stereo effect?

Do i have any other options.

Are there any other products i should be considering?

Thanks
    Anshul
    TD-20S, TD-20 module, DW5000 hardware, VExpressions Master Picks, Vater 7A, Vic Firth Isolation Headphones

Forgive us if we all collectively sigh, "Oh no, not again!"
    This has been one of the most asked questions and a subject for much on-going debate. First thing is to do a quick search and check out all the discussions that went on previously. If you still have some questions that haven't been answered, please post those.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Michael. I did check out the other posts and honestly they confuse you more than they help you take a decision.

I didn't read much about the PM-30 which makes me believe that it is not as good as the others. As i need the amplifier only for personal and band practice, i am not concerned about huge outputs. I do prefer a solid low end (bass) to the sound.

My budget is around and under $700 and i have got my list down to the following:
      1. JBL EON 15
      2. Mackie SRM450
      3. Roland PM-30
      4. Roland PM-10

I am completely new to amplifiers and read some threads talking about requiring mixers and other bells and whistles with the amplifier to get the best of it. I am not really interested in engineering my sound. All i need is a good sounding simple plug and play amplifier.

I don't want to get into having a separate woofer too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
      Anshul
      TD-20S, TD-20 module, DW5002 Double Pedal, DW5000 2-leg Hi-Hat Stand, Gibraltar Throne, VExpressions Master Picks, Vater 7A, Vic Firth Isolation Headphones

Comment

Out of your list, I like the JBL the best. The Rolands are way underpowered. The Mackie 450 is nice, but lacks the thump a 15" speaker can give. Many have used the EONs with good results.
        sigpic

Comment

I don't have speakers myself (actually I do, but not suited for v-drums). I did test the Roland PM-3 a few times and if I'm not mistaken, the PM-30 is similar. If that is correct, I'd stay away from it if I were you. I once tested a similar Yamaha-system, and I thought it was way better.

I do like the 3-way system-thing a lot though... A sub with two sat's... And I wonder how these will sound like: http://www.dbtechnologies.com/mod_pr...id=57&psugid=0 If anyone can test them when they come out, let us know what they sound like... I guess they'll be a killer monitoring system, hehe...

Stijn
          'lectric drumma
          Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

The search goes on

I had made my mind on the EON15G2 when i came across
            http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...0V2?sku=606060

It is just a couple of hundred bucks more for something that looks better.

Any ideas on the sound??

Thanks,
            Anshul
            TD-20S, TD-20 module, DW5002 Double Pedal, DW5000 2-leg Hi-Hat Stand, Gibraltar Throne, VExpressions Master Picks, Vater 7A, Vic Firth Isolation Headphones

Comment

Here's a happy camper: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...&highlight=B52

If you put in B52 in the search engine, you will find lots of opinions. If you put in B-52 you get nothing. I am not sure why.
              sigpic

Comment

The Matrix system is nice, the only drawback is lugging around that sub.If your taking these on gigs or practice i would go with the JBL's.
                www.myspace.com/tongueingrooveTd 20 Purple Fade V Session Cy15, 2x Cy14, Cy8, Asi+ Crown k2 amps, BBE max. Legion 15's, Madison 18 subs, Tama,Yamaha hardware.
                Your never as good or bad as you think you are !

Comment

Originally posted by SIZZLE View Post
                  The Matrix system is nice, the only drawback is lugging around that sub.If your taking these on gigs or practice i would go with the JBL's.
                  .,...they're a heavy load...but...they're worth it.

Just have your good for nothing bass player or singer or "___insert band member here__" lug it in for you.

All kidding aside the Matrix is a great sounding inexpensive PA system fitting right around your budget.

E
                  - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

amp for td-20s

Anshul,

I have a JBL Eon 15G2 that I was using a little with my zendrum, but primarily as a drum monitor when I play acoustic drums live. I've been meaning to list it on ebay but haven't figured out how to pack the awkward sized package. Let me know if you have any interest.
                    Pearl SRX Custom Session set and Rogers jazz set with Zildjian and Sabian cymbals, DW Collector snare, Tama Kenny Aronoff Trackmaster snare, Zendrum, SPD-S, TD-20, Gibraltar frame for Roland and Pintech pads and Roland cymbals, TrapKat

Comment

Do you guys use systems like that B52-system as PA, or as personal monitoring?

Just curious...

Stijn
                      'lectric drumma
                      Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Coletones,

Thanks for the offer. If i would go in for the JBL EON 15G2, i would definitely go in for a new one. I just don't like to buy used gear :-)

Out of curiosity, are you having any troubles with the JBL or you just want to get rid of it? Coz if there is something wrong with that unit, i would like to know about it.
                        Thanks

As to Stijn's question, I am not completely aware of it but i guess that the B52 is more of a PA and gigging equipment than a personal monitor.
                        Although if i will buy it, i would be using it as a personal monitor for home practice.

Hope that helps.
                        Anshul

Comment

I think that B52-system definately is a PA-system, but as I always read on the forum you need a 15" woofer to get decent bass, I always wondered if people mean on-stage (personal monitoring) or just FOH.

Stijn
                          'lectric drumma

Comment

Originally posted by 'lectric drumma View Post
                            I always read on the forum you need a 15" woofer to get decent bass, I always wondered if people mean on-stage (personal monitoring) or just FOH.
                            Personal. You need to be able to feel the kick and anything less than a 15" won't do. I use several 18" subs for FOH!
                            sigpic

Comment

Re amplification

The amps in the Mackie 450's are too loud @ low volumes(like @ home in a jam room)...the best way to get great low end that's specific to multiple size rooms/venues is a powered sub with an adjustable crossover for tweeking.
                              The Mackie 1501 is very good for up to auditorium sized venues & works great in my jam room/studio too...but can overwhelm your mains without a crossover. The DBX 223XL is a rackmount 3 way that works great to "tame the beast" My mains are 2 Bose L1's. Good luck with it !

Michael, you decide on that Home Show w/ Jennifer yet ?

Best to all,

AlienFunk

Comment

Working...
                              X