Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which one? [TD-9K or TD-12K]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one? [TD-9K or TD-12K]

Hi,

I'm new round here and guessed this would be the best place on the whole interweb to get some advice about the lovely Vdrums.

I am in the market for some V-Drums. Hope to be buying in a couple of months. Just got back from the LIMS/Drummer Live 08 show in London. The Roland demonstrator has put me in a pickle. I thought the TD12 was for me, but he reckons the TD9K(mesh heads) upgraded with the V11 hi-hat and a mesh bass drum would be better. His reasoning is that the TD9 module has better sounds out the box, is newer, easier to operate software and you can plug a USB stick straight in. My feeling is that the TD12 module looks much better (bombproof) and you can adjust volumes with faders. I am only going to use them at home, drumming is just a hobby for me, but it's taken me 32 years to find a hobby I enjoy, so spending cash on it isn't a big deal. With the extra bits on the TD9 costs will be close, but I would have an extra cymbal.
    They wouldn't say at LIMS but I hope the TD 12 isn't going to be replaced soon, so maybe the upgraded TD9 is better? ho-hum... I defer to your greater knowledge and opinions V-Drum masters.

Craig

Back a few months ago, I had a little over $3,000 set side for a v-drum kit. Just under the amount of a TD-12, but I needed a double-pedal, a new throne and an amp setup. What I ended up with was a TD9-SX, the PM-30 monitor, upgraded mesh kick drum (KD-120) and an extra CY-8 cymbal. That all came to about $3,300.
    I figured that I would upgrade to a VH-11 someday, but I would give the CY-5 a chance. So far, it's ok.
    I would have bought the TD-12 if I had the extra cash. But since I needed a few extras, that ran the cost up quite a bit. The TD-9 was for me. If you can swing the cost of the TD-12, I'm sure you'll be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by rexate View Post
      Hi,

I'm new round here and guessed this would be the best place on the whole interweb to get some advice about the lovely Vdrums.

I am in the market for some V-Drums. Hope to be buying in a couple of months. Just got back from the LIMS/Drummer Live 08 show in London. The Roland demonstrator has put me in a pickle. I thought the TD12 was for me, but he reckons the TD9K(mesh heads) upgraded with the V11 hi-hat and a mesh bass drum would be better. His reasoning is that the TD9 module has better sounds out the box, is newer, easier to operate software and you can plug a USB stick straight in. My feeling is that the TD12 module looks much better (bombproof) and you can adjust volumes with faders. I am only going to use them at home, drumming is just a hobby for me, but it's taken me 32 years to find a hobby I enjoy, so spending cash on it isn't a big deal. With the extra bits on the TD9 costs will be close, but I would have an extra cymbal.
      They wouldn't say at LIMS but I hope the TD 12 isn't going to be replaced soon, so maybe the upgraded TD9 is better? ho-hum... I defer to your greater knowledge and opinions V-Drum masters.

Craig
      The TD9-KX is simply great value for money over the 12, especially if it's just a hobby!

Comment

That does sound like a pickle to me. I say get both and give me the one you like least. Seriously, either ay is going to give you a great sounding kit. Good luck. Oh, and welcome aboard.
        Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

TD12 vs TD9SX

I had the same dilemma. Both kits offer so much compared to my little HD-1. It all came down to price, but I found a bargain on ebay and bought my TD-12 last month for about the price of the TD-9 at Sam Ash or Musiciansfriend.com. I couldn't be happier. I guess it's all a matter of what you really want and also price.

Drumming is just a hobby for me, too. It took me over 40 years to find my hobby, and I am just loving every minute of it. Good luck, whatever decision you make/made. Either way, you win!

Comment

Thanks for replies so far.

I also got a voucher at the local show. If you buy a TD12 before end of july you get an extra cymbal free. Post your td12 receipt to Roland with the voucher and they post you a cymbal.

So I think I can afford a TD12, main question then becomes are they going to release a new version of the TD12 soon? or like a TD13 with free groupies, and there's me sitting alone in my shed...

Comment

Thanks for replies so far.

I also got a voucher at the local show. If you buy a TD12 before end of july you get an extra cymbal free. Post your td12 receipt to Roland with the voucher and they post you a cymbal.

So I think I can afford a TD12, main question then becomes are they going to release a new version of the TD12 soon? or like a TD13 with free groupies, and there's me sitting alone in my shed...
              Free groupies and a blinged out tour bus!! Not bad for 4 grand!

Comment

I just upgraded from a TD-9kx to a TD-12. I'd have to say I liked the "feel" of the TD-9 a little more. Maybe its just cause I was use to it...But the sound quality and expressive of the 12 is a huge difference from the 9. Plus there are a lot more editing features. If you can afford the 12, do it. But the 9 is an amazing kit. I'd say go to your local music store and give 'em both a try.
                Where am I?

Comment

Just bought a TD12 (2 weeks ago), anyone throwing away a voucher???

I purchased the TD12 over the 9SX because of the tweaking you can do. Having the faders at your finger tips is also a nice plus. I did like the pre installed kits on the 9 better, but last night I loaded some VEX packs and now the TD12 is alive. Either kit you can't go wrong, but I like to tweak, so the 12 was perfect for me.

Not sure if money is an issue, but I would imagine that the TD12 will be upgraded to the USB version. Not sure if that matters though.
                  Last edited by Lakers_Fan_24; 06-23-08, 07:24 PM.

Comment

I would lean more towards the TD9, considering it will be way more affordable to upgrade. Anyone recommend a good Roland amp to do justice to this puppy?

Comment

main question then becomes are they going to release a new version of the TD12 soon? or like a TD13 with free groupies, and there's me sitting alone in my shed...
                      There will not be a replacement for TD-12 soon. The next generation flagship might be there in a bout 2 years (maybe earlier if 2box succeeds) - and another 1 - 2 years for a "reduced version".
                      Yes the TD-9 sounds are fresher - but I feel, the configurability is not very impressive. (Snare and hihat are far behind the TD-12!) Only if hidden features are on board VEX might give a dramatic change to it...
                      CU, Stephan
                      TD-12, VH-11, CY-12,-8, PD 85, 80R, Yamaha Rack and Pads

Comment

I own a TD6V module, and was able to play on a TD9 for about an hour at Guitar Center a few days ago.

IMO the TD9 is somewhat of a glorified TD6...

Your ability to craft sound imaging on the TD12 is much greater, so I would go with the TD12 in comparison.....

Comment

Working...
                        X