Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

linking td 9's and 6's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linking td 9's and 6's

As someone new to the site and to drumming, I have question. the usual apologies if there is a thread about this that i havent noticed....

okay, for my sins, I ordered the td-9 as an upgrade to my td 6v. the gods alone know how i will pay for it, i will probably end up having to sacrifice a virgin again, but still, i think it's worth it...

I am keeping, not trading in the td-6 module, at least for the start...if i eventually get more pads, and find places to hang them on the rack, can I trigger some of the extras through the td-6? (realising that the difference in sound quality might make it sound too bad in practice, but in theory, esp if i am using the td-6 for percussion and special sounds). How can i link them? I suppose I can run a cable from the 6's outs to the mix -in of the 9, but is there a way to do this through midi? would this allow me to use the 6 to trigger drum sounds from the 9?

I read the midi chapters in the handbooks, but dont really understand what i can do with it....

or is there some other way, wot i havent thought of?

help is appreciated! thanks!

saku
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Originally posted by saku View Post
    How can i link them? I suppose I can run a cable from the 6's outs to the mix -in of the 9,
    That's the simplest way.

Originally posted by saku View Post
    but is there a way to do this through midi? would this allow me to use the 6 to trigger drum sounds from the 9?
    Yes, and that's really the only other alternative, but not so simple.

To trigger any Roland module via MIDI, the desired sound must be assigned either in the current kit or in the current percussion set. On a TD-9, I don't think you're likely to have unused kit rims on the directly connected pads, so triggering the percussion set may be more useful. On a TD-9 the percussion set is fixed on Channel 11, so you could set the TD-6 to transmit on Channel 11 and then match note numbers on both modules. Page 54 in the TD-9 manual shows how to set any sound to any note number in the percussion set.

If that sounds like too much work, stick with the mix-in instead of MIDI and use TD-6 sounds for the second module.

Bruce

Comment

thanks for the explanation...will try and get my head around the midi stuff and then settle for the out/mix in combination.....
      TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
      ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
      not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Working...
      X