Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trading Recording Customs for E-Drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading Recording Customs for E-Drums

Hi all,

I'm moving to California from Chicago and would like to trade my prized acoustics for my first set of e-drums. You all seem like a friendly and knowledgeable bunch, so I wanted your help to figure out what type of trade I should aim for. What do you think would be a fair trade? What combination of e-drums and cash could I/should I ask for?

My needs:
    -Complete kit, everything I need to set up and start playing
    -Capability to play live would be nice, but not essential.
    -No studio recording necessary

My kit:

5 piece Yamaha Recording Custom, cherrywood finish, nearly mint condition. (10, 12, 14, 22). The snare is a 6x14 Anton Fig Signature. Soft cases for all the drums. Three-sided Gibraltar rack w/clamps and mounting hardware for 8 higher-end Zildjian cymbals.

I GREATLY appreciate any advice and would be happy to answer questions. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Attached Files

Hey dberson,

Good luck on this one. I've been trying to sell mine/trade on this forum for some while this time. I've put easily more than $2900 into my kit, and that could easily get a really good e-kit, but most of the people already are satisfied with their kit!!

Good luck though
    J

Comment

Man, thats a sweet looking kit I bet it sounds awesome. Myself I'd keep it and save the money for another kit. The best way is decide what you want for your them and see what you can get for the money and then its like jleblanc23 said its finding someone willing to trade. I know I would never part with my V-Drums, they'll pry them from my cold dead hands. Have you played many E kits? If not you probably should try a few out as they are a bit different to acoustics and some long time acoustic drummers just don't take to them...
      My Kit
      http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

Thank you for the feedback. I am not terribly familiar with E-drums, but I did spend a couple hours in Sam Ash playing all the different Roland kits. Different, for sure, but close enough to the real thing. I ADORE my Yamahas (the Recording Custom is the best-sounding kit I have ever played), but I can't afford to buy a second kit. So I am in a position where if I don't switch to electronic, I will play no drums at all. So it's not a difficult choice!

I suppose these boards aren't the best place to look for a swap, since everyone seems to love their e-drums. But look forward to hearing more advice!

Question: Would it be fair to ask for a straight up trade, my kit for a Roland TD-20 kit? I appreciate your help!

Comment

I would agree that it's hard to trade your kit here, but it is a good place to get advice.
          The big dogs out there right now are the Roland TD-20 and the Yamaha DTXtremeIII. Both have great sounds and capabilities (and both have shortcomings as well). The main difference being that Roland can use mesh heads, Yamaha uses rubber pads. Some people hate mesh heads because they can be "overly responsive". Some hate rubber pads and say they cause wrist strain. I haven't played them, but I've been told that the Yamaha pads are softer and feel more natural than Roland's rubber pads. So you'll have to play both to really make an 'educated' decision there.

Personally, I wouldn't part with the snare...that's just me though. When I sold my a-kit I refused to put my snares with it. Of course, it's harder to sell a kit if it's not complete so it depends on how 'personal' that snare is to you. Another thing to note is that over time acoustics will hold their value better than electronics, especially good cymbals (like A or K Zils, HH Sabians). I don't know how important that is to you but just know that you may be able to sell one of your cymbals for close to the same price as a Roland CY14 (or some brand's equivalent)...but 3 years from now that CY14 will have dropped in value and that acoustic cymbal would still fetch the same price!
          Also, consider what size set you want. You sound like you enjoy a lot of cymbals (I'm a big fan of lots of cymbals!!!), but keep in mind how many inputs the module will handle. Yes, they are stereo inputs so you can use a dual zone cymbal and get 2 different sounds out of it...personally, I can't stand that. I want to strike a splash and get a splash, strike a crash and get a crash...not strike the edge and get a crash and strike the bow and get a splash. Anyway, I'm just pointing out that if you prefer a single cymbal pad for a single sound, that may require building an external circuit (the Keith Raper Circuit). I'm not positive that you'd need that on the TD-20, but I know I needed it on my TD-10 to be able to use all 7 of my cymbals (I'm not familiar enough with the Yam. DTXremeIII to know how many inputs it has and what you'd need to do with cymbal pads).
          And finally, consider the use of other brands. Pintech has a lot of equipment that's equivalent to Roland's at much lower prices. Just food for thought.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!
          Stick twirling - because you obviously have mastered all other aspects of drumming already, right?

Comment

I am the same way. I absolutely LOVE my a-kit, but can't afford a second one.

And after adding it up, a-e will almost be the price of buying a td-12/used 10.

Hurting.
            J

Comment

Working...
            X