Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-12 or TD-9 with VEX pack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-12 or TD-9 with VEX pack?

If this topic has been brought up already, I appologize, but, I have this little problem. It's called "Never being happy with what I have". For example...I obsessed over the TD-6 for months. I watched EVERY video and read EVRY review on it for months. I finally got it, then 3 weeks later I traded it in for the TD-9s. I had the 9 for 2 weeks...traded that in for an acoustic kit. 2 DAYS later I'm trading the acoustic kit back in for the TD-9sx. Now I want the TD-12. I'm on my 4th drim kit in 2 months. This has got to stop! So...should I break down and buy the 12 or wait for VEX to come out with a pack for the TD-9? Are the VEX packs as good as everyone says?
    Last edited by XbambamX; 06-06-08, 08:08 AM.
    Where am I?

First, yes, the VEx packs are as good as I say!

Second, what is your plan for V-Drums? Studio Work? Playing Live? Practicing at Home?

If you plan on recording with it, I would step up to a TD-12 or TD-20. The multiple outputs are more suited for studio work.

Playing live, it would be a matter of features. The ability to upload audio backing tracks to the TD-9 is a great asset.

Now what I am really hearing from you is that you will eventually want a TD-20! Just bite the bullet and get one! Heh.
    sigpic

Comment

Typical GAS syndrome I guess. Good points by Michael (please note , you ever see his kit? its huge. Not good for GAS reliefe). The VEX packs are exceptional.
      If cash is no issue, the get whatever floats your boat.
      I upgraded from a TD-6 to a TD-12 and have been very happy.

If you go for a 20, you will probably also end up getting the expansion card when it comes out, and then there will be the next generation of modules from Roland, so it goes on and on.

I really think the TD9 with a VEX pack will meet the needs of most amateur drummers who want to record for fun.

Comment

Yeah...the TD-20 is definitely my ultimate goal. LOL. I dont plan on doing any studio work with it, I mainly use it at home practicing. I did recently join a small cover band. Though we mostly just sit around and jam for fun, we do have a few shows lined up. Backyard parties, that kinda stuff. I've only been playing drums for 2 months. It's just that I'm a technology freak. The TD-9 is an awesome kit, but I hear how much better the one I DON''T have is and...well...You know...bigger, better, more expensive...gotta have it. LOL.
        Where am I?

Comment

Are there any audio clips of kits using VEX pack on here?
          Where am I?

Comment

None exist for the TD9. They are working that now I believe, right after they model Truth and Soul (what?). You can hear the VEX samples on thier web page for the 12/20 and other modules. If you go to the "in the studio" section I recelnly posted some playing with vex in the TD12, but I used a lower quiality MP3 format to fit about a minutes worth of playing in a files less than 1 MB, so the quality is not what you hear directly from the module.

Comment

With the TD-9, will a user be able to load a VEX pack by simply using the USB connection and a flash drive? It would be great if users didn't need additional cables or accessories to load a VEX pack.

Comment

Originally posted by artie View Post
                With the TD-9, will a user be able to load a VEX pack by simply using the USB connection and a flash drive? It would be great if users didn't need additional cables or accessories to load a VEX pack.
                Yes, you would stick a flash drive into a USB slot on your PC, copy the .td9 file from VEX to the Roland/TD9 directory of the flash drive, then put the flash drive into your TD-9's USB slot and load the kits from the VEX backup.

-SD-

Comment

Thanks for the information on adding VEX packs to a TD-9. Sounds simple enough!

Comment

I am back after a few month of abstinence...Guess who. :-)

have a blast, Silicon Drummer..
                    your friend
                    Last edited by Ronnie; 06-18-08, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Hey Ronnie,

Good to see you here! Did you ever get that Yamaha module? If so, what do yo think about it?

-SD-

Comment

i would just get the td 20 and get it over with. having Gas is a very expensive addiction.
                        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Working...
                        X