Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first e-drum kit...piecemeal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first e-drum kit...piecemeal?

subject basically says it all...the only new kit i'd look at is probobly the roland td3 for size and cost reasons. all i'm really looking for is a 4 piece with a decent module and pads...hi hat, crash, and ride.

would it be cheaper to get the kit or piece together? i dont really know what to look for and i'm not an experienced drummer by any means. all i can really do is lay down a basic beat, but i'm looking to improve and think that a e-set will be ideal, as i live in a condo and space is limited. i'm mainly into funk, hip hop, r & b, if that helps any. hoping to keep budget around $800.

any advice would be appreciated. ie, other kits to look at, what pieces i'd need if buying piecemeal, etc...

thx!

I bought my TD-3KW a bit over a year ago. It's a nice kit, but somewhat limited. I've replaced the snare, toms and am awaiting the kick pad. That said, I spent a bit more money doing it this way.....

You CAN put a kit together piecemeal. There are some on the board who have done it this way and some that are probably working on their piecemeal kits right now.

Look around, you might find a whole used kit somewhere.

If you could find most of it used, it would be cheaper. Check out other brands, Hart, Pintech, Yamaha, etc. Many of these pads/cymbals will work with Roland and other brand modules. If you price out any of the kits piece by piece versus the "package" you save quite a bit of money with the packed kits.

There's a classified section on this board (with a GREAT ad for some Roland pads) ( shameless plug, I know), there's also Craig's list or eBay.

If you know what you want, look around, how much is the module you want, the pads, cymbals, rack, etc. Can you find all the components that you want and then how does the cost compare to a new or used kit?

Good luck putting a kit together ! let us know what you end up with.

Be aware, these v-drums are addicting...you'll want better pads, then better cymbals, then a better module, then a better rack, a better amp or monitor, a better throne......it just doesn't stop !!!!

Michael

TD-3KW with Pintech Concertcast snare, 3 toms and Dingbat; PM-10; Tama HP 200 pedal; Sound Percussion Throne; Zildjian anti-vibe sticks
    Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

This is how I did my kit, "piecemeal" and almost all used.

An $800 budget doesn't give you a lot of room for much, mainly cuz of the module cost.

I don't agree that you'll save money going with a packaged kit. If you're patient and know how pricing on items goes, you can do quite well in terms of shaving a few dollars off here and there.

That being said, I see that a used TD6 kit on ebay went for $540 plus $70 for shipping. I just see that jjdrumz (a member here at vdrums) purchased one for $750 plus $50 for shipping. That will give you an idea of what a reseller will pay for a used kit on ebay. The more I think about this, the more I think you'll be able to get a used basic TD6 kit for right around your $800 budget if you keep at ebay.

But, if you go piecemeal.....Get as much module as you can afford now. Then go "low end" with rubber pads, venerable PD-7s will do and you can use em as cymbals until you get better and maybe want to "move up". Then all you need is a HH pedal and some kind of kick combo. Look at Yamaha's KP-65 as an upright kick. It's cheap and more importantly, it's upright.

You'll hafta get a rack of some sort for all of this plus a couple of cymbal booms for cymbals (even if you use PD-7s or something similar).

Lemme think here. How many toms do you want? Let's assume 2 for right now. That means you'd need 2 pads for that, 2 for crashes, 1 for HH, 1 for ride and 1 for snare. So, 7 PD-7 pads (or something like them). Based on ebay's completed auctions, I'd budget $30 apiece for them. So:

7 PD-7 pads: $210

Kick pad. There are 3 KP65s on ebay right now. New, they cost only $70 so I'd budget that and hope you can get one for less.

1 KP65 upright kick: $70

Now a pedal. Again, ebay is your friend. Plenty of cheap pedals, many cost less than the shipping costs. Budget $30 although that might be a bit low.

1 used kick pedal: $30

Now a HH pedal. These go for all kinds of prices on ebay so it's hard for me to budget. Let's say $60 and hope you can snag one for under $50.

1 used FD7 HH pedal: $60

Total so far: $370.

Now for a rack. Poke around ebay, you'll find something be it an older Roland rack or something basic from Gibraltar. In fact, there's a couple of Roland racks (MDS-6 and MDS-8) on ebay right now. Budget $100.

1 rack: $100

Total thus far: $470

That leaves you $330 for a module although I'm ignoring a drum throne and possible cabling issues which could easily run you another $50-100 bucks (cabling will depend on what the above pads come with). Let's think positive for once and say you have $330 to blow on a module.

That will get you a TD-6V at the most. One just went on ebay for $310 so that's a good yardstick.

So, by going piecemeal, picksorsticks is right, you *do* end up paying more but then, you're going totally low end on the equipment so the price margins are a bit less than let's say if you were purchasing a CY-14 crash and saving $50-75 on a used one. Those cost savings add up over time.

Whew.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
      TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

grog has much wisdom. Even if that green dot is a price sticker and not a proper Power Jewel®.

My only addition is try to at least get a mesh snare. A used PD-85 can be found cheap if you look. Your wrists will thank you.
        sigpic

Comment

I'd like to respecfully disagree with the powerBejeweled One when it comes to what to get with mesh, at least in the beginning.

I too got a mesh snare (along with mesh toms) first. Instead, I wish I'd gotten a mesh kick. I spent close to 3 years on something rubber and found trying to do anything but the most basic kick/snare/kick/snare pattern to be impossible. Enter my mesh snare (Hart 8" Accupad which new will blow your budget of $800) and suddenly, many things became possible despite my raging mediocrity on the drums.

Given your budget, I'd definitely attempt to go the basic TD-6 route, either piecemeal or with a used kit on ebay. Then, should you choose to upgrade, decide on whether the snare or kick is more important for what you're doing.

If you're a death/thrash metal drummer, the kick will definitely be higher on the list.

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

awesome posts, guys...especially, grog! this info gives me a great start.

another question comes to mind...if i want a hi-hat that will allow more than just open and closed positions, what do i need for that? is it dependant on the module or pads or both?

Comment

The Hi-Hat is dependent on the module. The TD-20 is fully variable. The TD-3 has Open/Half Open/Closed and foot splash.

And, although Mr. grog is a most worthy gentleman, he is often quite intoxicated from his eponymic beverage and is soimetimes unable to distingusih betwixt his posterior and a hole in the ground. You want a mesh snare and don't worry about the kick.
              sigpic

Comment

I would have argued the point both about a mesh snare vs a mesh kick and whether or not I can tell the difference between different orifi but I was really drunk at the time.

The much esteemed Mr Render brings up a good point about HHs. If you want anything with "full capability" of an acoustic hat, you'll need to go with either a TD-12 or TD-20 module *or* the appropriate VST setup complete with the ability to tweak the bejesus out of the pedal with additional software. Oh yeah, and you'd need the right hardware to go with that, well, at least with the 12/20. With the VST setup and additional software, you can take something like an FD7 pedal and map out the HH to the nth degree.

But that's waaaaay down the line. If you're just starting out, you'll find a basic HH in something like a TD3/6 fine for now.

Last edited by grog; 06-04-08, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                  The Hi-Hat is dependent on the module. The TD-20 is fully variable. The TD-3 has Open/Half Open/Closed and foot splash.

And, although Mr. grog is a most worthy gentleman, he is often quite intoxicated from his eponymic beverage and is soimetimes unable to distingusih betwixt his posterior and a hole in the ground. You want a mesh snare and don't worry about the kick.
                  Sorry for barging in like that, but I was told by the salesperson that TD3 does not have foot splash. Perhaps just a small "chink" sound when you step all the way on the pedal?

Comment

Originally posted by gnohz View Post
                    Sorry for barging in like that, but I was told by the salesperson that TD3 does not have foot splash. Perhaps just a small "chink" sound when you step all the way on the pedal?
                    Could be. I don't have much experience with the TD-3. I know it makes *some* sound when you step on it - heh. I guess I should never ASS-U-ME what that sound might be.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gnohz View Post
                      Yeah, that's pretty much correct. I definitely wouldn't call it a proper foot splash...unless you want to say, well it's TD-3 version of a foot splash. It wasn't until I got the TD-12 that I understood what a foot splash is really supposed to sound like. Remember I am a converted bass player and am still overcoming.

All that being said, I gotta agree with my esteemed colleague, grog, that the TD-3 or 6 will do you well while you patiently wait to get into a 12 or 20. I ran on an Alesis DM5, then got a TD-6V, and then finally added a TD-3 as expansion. I went like that for three years and just recently got the TD-12.

Like grog, I piece-mealed my kit as well. I started with an inexpensive kit and as I saw pieces that I wanted come up for sale on Ebay, I would add them. The only new parts I have on my kit are rack tubes and clamps. Everything else was bought on Ebay. It is a good way to get a really nice kit together without shelling out the money all at one time...if you have the patience to do it that way. The key to it is being patient, finding the right deal and of course screwing someone on a bid in the last 12 seconds of an auction. I actually ended up getting my kit cheaper than it would have been had I bought it all at once doing it this way....waiting for the right deal, not the screwing other bidders part...ok and the screwing other bidders over part.

I have to agree with the Render...I would go with the mesh snare, but I would get the Hart Pro if you can...ok, I am just being partisan. The PD-85 is good too, but if you can get a PD-125......or better yet a Hart......
                      Last edited by Fullback32; 06-05-08, 11:24 AM.
                      Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
                      "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

question on module compatibility. for example, here are the options listed by roland for the TD-9:
                        Pads (PD-8, PDX-8, PD-85, PD-105, PD-125), Cymbals (CY-5, CY-8, CY-12R/C, CY-14C, CY-15R), Kick Triggers (KD-8, KD-85, KD-120), Hi-Hats (VH-11), Hi-Hat Control Pedal (FD-8), Stand (MDS-9), Cymbal Mount (MDY-10U), Pad Mount (MDH-10U), Personal Drum Monitor (PM-10, PM-30), V-Drums Accessory Package (DAP-3), V-Drums Mat (TDM-10)

does this mean that a PD-7 will not work with it? or are these options just "suggestions?"

should i always go by the compatibility roland specifies when determining what to buy with what?

Comment

PD7s should work just fine with a TD9 module. If there's one thing Roland does, it makes it's modules work fine with it's own basic products.

Comment

Thanks for the clear up about the foot splash sound. Well at least TD3 has it's own version of a "foot splash"

I'm just a beginner who just started out a month ago, and who is waiting anxiously to get his TD3

Anyway, this is so OT. Sorry about that.

Comment

This is how I am currently going about building up my first e-kit. Just got a bunch of PD-5 pads and am looking to pick up a cheaper used brain, probably a TD-3. I was looking out for either a TD-5 or 7 brain, but they hardly ever seem to appear on their own. Because I have a PC-based studio, I plan to trigger sounds via MIDI, either in Live or Reason and build my own sample kits. I'll add more hardware as and when I see it cheap. I think the rack will probably be the hardest part to pick up.
                              Roland TD-6V / Roland CY-5 x 2 / Roland CY-8 x 3 / Roland FD-7 / Roland KD-8 / Roland PD-80 / Roland PD-80R / Roland PDX-8 x 2

Comment

Working...
                              X