Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop Recording with TD-20

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Laptop Recording with TD-20

    Hey,

    I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to record into a laptop with the TD-20. I'm using cables to connect to a Tascam US-122 (http://www.tascam.com/products/us-122l.html) and then into my Macbook and am recording into Logic Express. It gives me a decent sound but I'm wondering if there is a better way.

    Cheers.

  • #2
    I was wondering the same thing for my TD12's. Can't you just use a MIDI/USB cable with LE or GarageBand?
    TD-12KX-BK
    TD-12 Percussion Sound Module
    PD-105BK V-Pad
    PD-85BK V-Pad x 3
    VH-11 V-Hi-Hat
    CY-12R/C V-Cymbal Ride/Crash x 3
    KD-85BK V-Kick Trigger Pad
    MDS-12BK Drum Stand
    Pearl P-2000C Eliminator Chain Drive Single kick pedal
    Pearl H-900 Hi-Hat Stand
    Pearl D-1000C Roadster throne

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by clyde_td12 View Post
      I was wondering the same thing for my TD12's. Can't you just use a MIDI/USB cable with LE or GarageBand?
      I'm sure you can, but I'm wondering what the best sounding option would be. No point in spending so much money on drums and having bad quality recording as a result.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hey guys--I need to chime in here too---I'm wondering what you guys might recomend for recording on a PC from a TD-20. I'm also curious if your running just the samples from the 20, or are you also triggering sound banks from the laptop (i.e. Ezdrummer, BFD, ect.) Trying to figure out how to start using my 20 as an IO interface---any ideas?...

        Thanks ij advance--

        Comment


        • #5
          I you are running EZDrummer you can go freeware and use Audacity.
          With Cubase and CakeWalk i run audio out from my module >Alesis Multimix>Laptop via USB.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm a bit of a simpleton when it comes to computer-based DAWs, but it seems to me your interface does not allow you to input more than 2 mono channels to you computer, correct?

            If that's true, why not just go directly from the Master Outs or even the headphone jack into the Line In on your computer? Seems simpler while accomplishing the same thing.

            If, on the other hand, your interface allows you to bring in more than two channels, it would be nice to be able to do a little level-tweaking in post. In that case, go with your interface.

            Clyde, I don't know how broad your MIDI experience is, so forgive me if I am telling you stuff you already know: You can use MIDI to trigger samples resident in your computer or to record your MIDI signals for playback via your TD12, but unless you have really good samples in your computer (and the time and know-how to set it all up), using MIDI is not the way to go. Certainly not the simplest way.
            Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Fig Newton View Post
              I you are running EZDrummer you can go freeware and use Audacity.
              With Cubase and CakeWalk i run audio out from my module >Alesis Multimix>Laptop via USB.
              Hi Fig--
              Interesting. I've used Audacity to digitize vinyl onto my laptop(came with the Ion USB turntable)--is that the same software you're refering to? It seems that there is quite a buzz about BFD and an Alesis trigger IO---or even Sony Acid with an IO---ah geez...I'm overwhelmed

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
                I'm a bit of a simpleton when it comes to computer-based DAWs, but it seems to me your interface does not allow you to input more than 2 mono channels to you computer, correct?

                If that's true, why not just go directly from the Master Outs or even the headphone jack into the Line In on your computer? Seems simpler while accomplishing the same thing.

                If, on the other hand, your interface allows you to bring in more than two channels, it would be nice to be able to do a little level-tweaking in post. In that case, go with your interface.

                Clyde, I don't know how broad your MIDI experience is, so forgive me if I am telling you stuff you already know: You can use MIDI to trigger samples resident in your computer or to record your MIDI signals for playback via your TD12, but unless you have really good samples in your computer (and the time and know-how to set it all up), using MIDI is not the way to go. Certainly not the simplest way.
                Yeah I'm there in Simpletown with you--but one of the young lads at Guitar Center gave me a quick verbal tutorial on how to use my TD-20 as a MIDI interface via MIDI to USB cable into my PC---then assignment per instrument to trigger in BFD basically replacing each assignment in the TD with a corresponding sample from the BFD interface. When he finished explaining this I need to take a nap...

                Comment

                Working...
                X