Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm torn...my TD9 or an acoustic kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm torn...my TD9 or an acoustic kit?

I just purchased a Roland TD9 and had my first band practice with it yesterday. I ran it thru the PA system and it sounded way more electronic than I thought it would. I tried tweaking every adjustment on the module and still couldn't get a decent sound out of it. Don't get me wrong...it sounds amazing thru my headphones and my small drum amp. But a PA system...not so much. Now I'm wondering if I should return it for an acoustic kit. I'm still within the 30 day return policy at GC. The only concern with an acoustic kit is noise, which isn't an issue where I live.
    Where am I?

If the noise from an acoustic kit won't irritate any neighbors or your family, then I would definitely go with an acoustic. For $1800-2400 (not sure which kit you have) you should be able to get a pretty nice acoustic kit with some cymbals.

J
    Edrums- KD-120, PD-125 (3), PD-105 (3), Yamaha PCY155, PCY-135 (4)
    Module - Roland TD20X
    Software - Pro Tools and Toontrack Superior

Comment

If they sound great through the headphones and the amp, fiddling with the module may not be the problem....what kind of PA setup is it?

Comment

Agreed that with the money you'll have after returning the e-kit, you'll be able to get something very nice....with cymbals, too. You could also go the used route and get even more bang for your buck.

Comment

Thats what I was thinkin. I could probably get a decent kit for the $1600 I'll get from the e-kit. And we tried everything...running it mono, stereo, tweaking the mixing board. We got nothin out of it. Thanx to you guys who gave me the thumbs up on the acoustic. I just needed someone to validate my choice. LOL. I'm notorious for making impulse purchases.
          Where am I?

Comment

Option #3: Trigger sampled drums using the e-kit instead of using the module sounds.

That's what I would do anyway (and what I'm going to do soon)

Gear: TD-12 module, CY-14C crash, Yamaha PCY-135 crash, CY-12R/C crash, CY-15R/C ride, CY-12C & FD-7 hi-hat setup, MDS-12 rack, PD-125 snare, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105 floor tom, Presonus FP10, MacBook Pro 13", Superior Drummer 2.3, Logic 9 Studio, JH Audio JH-5 Pro IEM, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro cans, Gretsch Renown maple acoustic kit (Zildjian cymbals, Remo heads, Gibraltar/DW hardware)

Comment

Just my 2 cents, but before you dump the TD9, you might want to have a conversation with MOD Allan regarding a custom Vexp pack for the TD9.
              Considering what he has been able to do to improve sound quality of the other
              Roland modules, I am sure once he gets his TD9 into the workshop, he should be able get you close to what you want, especially if you specify live vs studio parameters, etc.

Comment

get a load of this. So...I decided to trade in my td9 for an acoustic kit. I get the kit, bring it home, set it up and start playing. 30 minutes later my neighbor shows up. Long story short, two days later I decide to return the acoustic kit. I call GC to see if I could return it and get my td9 back. Come to find out...the day after i brought my td9 back...Roland jacked up the prices on the td9's and td20's to compete with yamaha, so the salesman said. So now it was gonna cost me an extra $300 to get my td9 back. I felt stomach sick. Luck for me there was another GC in my area who Roland hadn't told the news to yet. So instead of paying another $300 to get my old kit back, I decided to upgrade to the KX. I was soooo happy. I'll never leave my Roland again!
                Where am I?

Comment

Just my 2 cents, but before you dump the TD9, you might want to have a conversation with MOD Allan regarding a custom Vexp pack for the TD9.
                  Considering what he has been able to do to improve sound quality of the other
                  Roland modules, I am sure once he gets his TD9 into the workshop, he should be able get you close to what you want, especially if you specify live vs studio parameters, etc.
                  I second that. Big difference. I also agree that , for the money, you could get a nice acoustic kit. It all depends on your needs. Good luck.

Just saw your last post. Good for you! BTW, take a look at RMC Audio on the web when you have a bad case of G.A.S.. They have great proces on Roland stuff, the best I have seen so far.

Comment

Thanx for the recommendation to rmc audio vdrummer. I'm not too sure what this g.a.s condition is... But I'm almost positive that I have an extreme case of it. LOL
                    Where am I?

Comment

Definately look into the VEX packs once they offer for the TD9... one word,
                      phenomenal !! Makes the modules THAT much better!!
                      MAPEX Black Forest Cherry DIY with TD20 module combined with TD3... (with room to expand!)
                      1 Hart Ride, 4 Pintech 14" Crash Cymbals, Pintech China, 10" Pintech Splash, Roland Hi Hats, JBL Eon G2 Powered Speaker, Iron Cobra Powerglide Double Pedal, V-Expression's kits and not enough TIME in the day to play!!! :eek:

Comment

XBBX,
                        Great story and even better news on the upgrade.
                        Can't beat the versatility, mobility and 24/7 playability of the E's.
                        No more A's and no regrets!

Comment

Working...
                        X