Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-9KX or TD-12K - A bit of advice needed please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-9KX or TD-12K - A bit of advice needed please.

Hi everyone.

Can I trouble some of you good people for some good advice as I would like to buy the right kit without regrets. I'm fairly new to drums and can't play an accoustic set at home. My primary reason for wanting to buy an electronic kit is so that I can learn to play properly without noise/time restrictions and batter away until my heart's content. More importantly, I would also like to get my own playing into Sonar for recording. Is this possible with the outputs on the V-Drums?

I'm currently in the final stages of saving for what intended to be a TD-9KX. However, I've been reading here on the forums that the TD-12K is a big step up due to it's module being similar to the TD-20 and its realistic use of a V11 and v12 high hats which the TD-9 can't do. Plus it has a mesh head bass drum which, as it happens, I consider to be fairly low in my priorities regarding choice of kit. I'll have it if it's going though.

I can get a TD-9KX here in the UK for , providing that the kit comes with the high hat pedal (retailers are ambigous about this). Do they actually come with the high hat pedal? Incidentally, the quoted price above includes the additional purchase of a stool and kick pedal.

I can get a TD-12K here in the UK for , again providing that the kit comes with the high hat pedal. Again, the price includes a stool and kick pedal but also this time, a high hat stand which is also required.

I have some questions if anyone would be so kind to enlighten me.

1. Is it really worth the extra for the TD12K? If so, why?

I loved the look of the TD-20K but that's sooooo much outta my budget range. The main thing I loved about the TD-20K was the larger diameter toms (+ the extra tom) and snare.

2. How do you TD-12K and TD-9KX users get on with the 8" toms and 10" snare? Is it comfortable and realistic or do you hunger to upgrade to the bigger drums?

3. I'm aware that the TD-9KX and TD-12K will accomodate an extra crash cymbal as I would almost certainly be adding one. Possibly a CY12RC (wise choice?). Will the TD-9KX and TD-12K accomodate an extra tom as its Aux trigger? The TD-9KX doesn't seem to have a whole lot of room for one judging by then pictures of it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to make a hasty decision and would like to benefit from the wisdom of you good folks with knowledge of the V-Drum range.

Kindest Regards

Charlie66

I've posted before on this subject check out my posts http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40806
    http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...897#post312897
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

Thanks Snick59

I've decided to go with the TD-12K. It makes more sense to save up a little while longer and get a really groovy kit rather than regret it later down the line wishing I'd gone for it.

If I feel the need, I'll certainly be upgrading to the same setup as you have in you pics. Can I ask, I notice you have 3 rack toms (PD-85s) and your floor tom (PD-105). Is this a good setup in comparison to 2 rack toms and 2 floor toms? Would the MDS-12 rack support the 2 rack and 2 floor setup and still have space for the ride cymbal?

Also, how much room os available for an extra cymbal on the part where your 3 rack toms are?

Thanks for your help Snick59

Charlie

Comment

I agree that the TD-12K is the best thing you could've done. I just like the stability of the MDS-12BK (iron joints) and ofcourse the module much better than the 9.
        TD-20 brain, TDW-20 expanded! MDS-20BK, 3x PD125, 2x PD105, 3x CY-14C, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, Hart ECII-10B, VH-11, KD-120, Tama IronCobra Rolling Glides and pearl hardware.
        Loving it every second..

Comment

Was in the same boat myself.

I just demo'd both of these kits yesterday and found the 9 module had the better preinstalled kits then the 12. However, the ability to customize everything on the 12 is the biggest benifit. I also liked the HH setup,kick pad and faders on the TD12.

So bought the TD12 yesterday and will have it by next Wednesday. The price difference isn't all the much. The 9SX is $2100 and the TD12 is $2600 (both for out the door prices). So for the little difference, made sense for me to go with the 12. Also, just bought a crap load of expressions. Can't wait to try out my new set.

Please take my suggestions with a little grain of salt. I've been a guitar player for 30 years and don't know a thing about drumming. I want to get my feet wet with a Roland set, but to me the 12 was the nicer of the two. They had a TD20 next to the 12 (at the demo), man, I like the 20's larger pads.

Either set, you can't go wrong. I would make some time and demo them both if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers_Fan_24 View Post

Please take my suggestions with a little grain of salt. I've been a guitar player for 30 years and don't know a thing about drumming.
            Me too. 32 years actually.

I really need to learn drums badly and am besotted by the idea. Drums are the last band instrument I need to learn as ths is my weak spot. I can play bass, guitar, keyboards, violin, banjo etc but not drums. Well, not good anyway. I can't wait to get my hands on the TD-12K.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in.

Charlie

Comment

You certainly won't regret going for the TD12 Charlie. The 12 is such an awesome module.

Comment

I don't want to start you off on upgrades before you have even got the kit, but I would recommend that you look at getting a 12" pad for the snare (PD-125 or older PD-120.... (or a hart 13" snare). Second hand roland pads are a fairly safe buy - the pads will last for ages if you look after them.

Comment

Thanks Superpuss...Nice website and kit. Brilliant.

Thanks Swaledale, that's exactly what I intend to do. Get the PD-125 and put the PD-105 over to the other side as a tom. I always think about upgrades before I buy. It does no harm to dream.

Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by charlie66 View Post
                    Thanks Superpuss...Nice website and kit. Brilliant.
                    Thanks Charlie
                    I was going to trade my TD12 module for the TD20 but the idea of having the two modules working together was just too appealing. Now I have a direct comparison between the two sound quality wise and in that regard, the 12 is really close to the 20. The main difference is related to the master EQ and compression. With those turned off, the kits transferred between my two modules (using vDrumLib) match up very well.

Comment

Outstanding!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X