Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I really like my TD-9KX, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really like my TD-9KX, but...

I hate the cymbals. So no problems with TD-9, which I think sounds great, but just with the supplied cymbals.

As posted before, I'm a newbie and I'm just playing for about 6 weeks, but I'm getting the hang of it rather easy: probably to all you great drummers out there it means nothing, but i'm playing Motorcycle Emptiness by the Manic Street Preachers (with the 8th and double 16th semi-ghost notes) very much like the recording. Just a minor achievement in my progression

I think the TD-9KX is really, really great...but I don't like the cymbals. It just feels like I'm pounding on a metal plate with a rubber furnish. I'm glad I bought the kit with the mesh heads for the pads instead of the rubbers ones. In that case my new hobbie could have finished very soon.

I like the 'bouncy' feel of the mesh instead of the 'toink, boink' of the rubber cymbals. In my mind, the feel of the cymbals should be light, like 'ting, ting, ting'.

Anyone else feels the same? And, even better, does anyone have a suggestion which cymbals would fit me better?

Hi Eric,

The sad answer is that generally the more $s you spend...the better the stick response....

I feel much the same as you do about the CY-5 and CY-8s on my kit and they also lack a bit of "soft touch" response......

The CY-12/14/15 do feel better as do the Yamaha e-cymbals.

Maybe some of the guys with those shiny brass e-cymbals could give some feedback on how they feel to the stick.....

The best way is to take your sticks and go to a good drum shop - have a play on everything there (including the a-cymbals) and see what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by eric_B View Post
      I hate the cymbals. So no problems with TD-9, which I think sounds great, but just with the supplied cymbals.

As posted before, I'm a newbie and I'm just playing for about 6 weeks, but I'm getting the hang of it rather easy: probably to all you great drummers out there it means nothing, but i'm playing Motorcycle Emptiness by the Manic Street Preachers (with the 8th and double 16th semi-ghost notes) very much like the recording. Just a minor achievement in my progression

I think the TD-9KX is really, really great...but I don't like the cymbals. It just feels like I'm pounding on a metal plate with a rubber furnish. I'm glad I bought the kit with the mesh heads for the pads instead of the rubbers ones. In that case my new hobbie could have finished very soon.

I like the 'bouncy' feel of the mesh instead of the 'toink, boink' of the rubber cymbals. In my mind, the feel of the cymbals should be light, like 'ting, ting, ting'.

Anyone else feels the same? And, even better, does anyone have a suggestion which cymbals would fit me better?
      A lot of it simply come down to preference. I've been playing for 20 years and this is the first e-kit I've owner in quite a while.(Had some simmons in the 80's....yes at 36, I'm getting old) I have to say I rather like the feel of the cymbals. That said I've never tried anything else. They can take a beating which is great. I;ve heard the Heart Dynamics brass cymbals are quite good, and you can get a variety of types and sizes. But be prepared to fork over some cash. Good luck!

Comment

I'm also at the point of selling my CY-8 and trade it in for a CY14, which feels much better than the 8. Even the 12 is way better in my opinion.

That said, the CY-15R is just great as a ride. It just feels real.
        TD-20 brain, TDW-20 expanded! MDS-20BK, 3x PD125, 2x PD105, 3x CY-14C, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, Hart ECII-10B, VH-11, KD-120, Tama IronCobra Rolling Glides and pearl hardware.
        Loving it every second..

Comment

Originally posted by Evy View Post
          (Had some simmons in the 80's....yes at 36, I'm getting old) I have to say I rather like the feel of the cymbals. That said I've never tried anything else.
          Hey, I just turned 36 yesterday!

I never tried anything else either, but it doesn't feel like I expected it to. o put it in the right perspective: it doesn't bother everytime I'm playing, but when I focus on it...it does.

So it looks like I'm also getting GAS...a more realistic hihat like the VH-11, a KD-85, other cymbals, maybe some customs kits...where does it end?

Comment

It never ends... Believe me.. the next best thing will be a TD-20 for you mate
            TD-20 brain, TDW-20 expanded! MDS-20BK, 3x PD125, 2x PD105, 3x CY-14C, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, Hart ECII-10B, VH-11, KD-120, Tama IronCobra Rolling Glides and pearl hardware.
            Loving it every second..

Comment

I too find a huge difference between my CY8's and my CY12 (which is my ride). The CY12 has a much better feel and is actually balanced unlike the CY8's.
              My Kit Toys crash, splash and China's are great too and, as I've mentioned numerous times on this board, they respond extremely well.
              The one thing I have done tht has helped my CY8's feel wise is to mount them from the top of my cage with the cymbal booms upside down. This means they can be completely loose and move much more freely.

Originally posted by rbressers View Post
              It never ends... Believe me.. the next best thing will be a TD-20 for you mate
              Truer words have never been spoken

Comment

Hey, I just turned 36 yesterday!

I never tried anything else either, but it doesn't feel like I expected it to. o put it in the right perspective: it doesn't bother everytime I'm playing, but when I focus on it...it does.

So it looks like I'm also getting GAS...a more realistic hihat like the VH-11, a KD-85, other cymbals, maybe some customs kits...where does it end?
                Happy birthday! I might get the VH-11 at some point, too many people rave about it. Gonna add another pd-85 as well...must do Peart drum fills!!!
                What size stick are you using? Lately I've switched to 7a's which may make a difference in the feel of your cymbals. I use to use 5B which I think would feel like hitting them with baseball bats.

Comment

Thanks Evy. In fact, I got 5A's for my birthday, only played with them a few times but they seem to fit me a little better than the lighter 7A's I got when I bought my TD9-KX.

I saw the difference between 5 and 7, A and B is the length and diameter and also the tip (?). Does this really make such a difference?

Comment

Thanks Evy. In fact, I got 5A's for my birthday, only played with them a few times but they seem to fit me a little better than the lighter 7A's I got when I bought my TD9-KX.

I saw the difference between 5 and 7, A and B is the length and diameter and also the tip (?). Does this really make such a difference?
                    It may not. I was just trying to think of ways to make the cymbals feel a little better. I use to use 5B's and bash the **** out of my drum kits. Using the 7A's forces me to play lighter which makes the drums/cymbals respond differently. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                    X