Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland Handsonic HPD-10 vs. HPD-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Handsonic HPD-10 vs. HPD-15

As many of you know our church is getting a aux. acoustic percussion setup for our worship band but I need a way of practicing hand percussion when I am home to prepare for the worship. I have been thinking of getting the HPD-10 for practicing at home. I can only afford to spend $600. So what do you think about the Roland Handsonic HPD-10? Would it be a good invest for practicing hand percussion?
    Drummer 4 Him,

Ron

A few forum members on Harmony-Central.com was saying this about the Handsonic.

"If you are playing acoustic hand drums at church... no, they wouldn't. You don't use the same technique to play them."

"True. You'll never learn conga on this thing.
    I've seen it used with two pedals as a drum kit. It's a very versatile instrument. If you have good fingers you can learn/generate a ton of rhythm with one."

Is this true or does he not know what he is taking about? I thought a long time ago when the first HPD-15 came out, Steve Fisher at Roland said that you just take the principle and techniques of playing congas, bongos, and apply them playing the Handsonic.
    Drummer 4 Him,

Ron

Comment

I can only comment on the HPD-15, and I am not familiar with every hand instruments, but the Handsonic does an incredible job emulating real techniques. Taps, slaps, mutes, etc.

I picked up a used HPD-15 for under $600. Look around.
      sigpic

Comment

The Handsonic is a great instrument and you do use the techniques on it you use with traditional percussion. You can mute sounds, bend pitches with pressure, etc. That said, it is certainly NOT an electronic practice conga or bongo, or whatever. You can easily play convincing conga or other percussion parts on it and in some cases its much easier to play than the actual instrument. If you want to play tabla sounds but don't play tabla, the handsonic is THE way to go, IMO! However, the technique is different than "real" percussion. I think if they made it to be played exactly like a conga it wouldn't be as good to play for the tabla, djembe, drumset, or the other hundreds of sounds it has. The handsonic is really an instrument all its own. Every time I've played one live people are blown away at the sounds and what it can do.
        Quazi

Comment

I agree with what the others here are saying. I play a HPD-15. It is excellent at emulating hand percussion instruments. You can apply all you know about playing accoustic hand percussion on the Handsonic.I don't think it will works as well the other direction. Although the technique is similar and you can certainly learn hand rhythms, the Handsonic is softer to play and more forgiving just like any other e-drum and the techniques you practice may actually make you a lazy handed player on the accoustic congas.

If all you want to practice at home is conga/bongo, look into the LP compact congas. They are a rim with a conga head. They play well sound great and fit on a snare stand. They are around $125 each new. On the other hand, if you want an incredible percussion instrument that will make you wish it was possible to reproduce the same variety of sounds accoustically, get the HPD-15 . I play 21 sounds at a time and couldn't begin to get the same set from accoustic drums.

I got my HPD-15 for $585 shipped on E-bay and it is the best money I have invested in an instrument -ever - period.
          Stuff to hit

Comment

thanks michael, Quazi, and drum4ever,

The thing is I would get the compact congas and bongos for practice but I live in townhouse and have two people living beside me and plus my mom is going to be starting back up with school to get her masters. I need a way I can practice hand drums but without distrubing my mom and neighbors. I thought that the HPD-10 or HPD-15 would be the good solution. Thanks.
            Drummer 4 Him,

Ron

Comment

Damn!! Why did I look at this thread?!!! Now I'm starting to want a HPD-15 for my kit..... damn GAS!!!

Comment

Well, I decide not getting the HPD-10 because I spent the money on getting an engagement ring for my girlfriend. That is more important to me than getting anyother piece off drum gear right now.
                Drummer 4 Him,

Ron

Comment

I posted this before and some how it was delete by someone.

Well, I decide not getting the HPD-10 or HPD-15 because I spent the money on getting an engagement ring for my girlfriend. That is more important to me than getting anyother piece off drum gear right now.
                  Drummer 4 Him,

Ron

Comment

Congratulations! That must have been a hard decision - Handsonic vs girlfriend.

FWIW - the handsonic has more sounds than a girlfriend...and you can use headphones...and you can turn it off!!
                    Quazi

Comment

The longest sentence in the english language is "I do". Trust me on this one.
                      Stuff to hit

Comment

Originally posted by rbdrums View Post
                        Well, I decide not getting the HPD-10 because I spent the money on getting an engagement ring for my girlfriend. That is more important to me than getting anyother piece off drum gear right now.
                        Congratulations on your engagement RB. That's awesome news

Comment

Originally posted by Quazi View Post
                          Congratulations! That must have been a hard decision - Handsonic vs girlfriend.
                          Was that sincere or sarcastic remark, Quazi

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
                          Congratulations on your engagement RB. That's awesome news
                          Thanks SuperPuss, I haven't actually proposed to her yet, I just bought the ring yesturday and waiting for the ring to back from being resized. Yes, I am excited about being engaged to her.
                          Drummer 4 Him,

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by rbdrums View Post
                            .....Thanks SuperPuss, I haven't actually proposed to her yet, I just bought the ring yesturday and waiting for the ring to back from being resized. Yes, I am excited about being engaged to her.
                            Oooooh how exciting
                            Make sure you post the results of your proposal

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
                              Oooooh how exciting
                              Make sure you post the results of your proposal
                              I sure will
                              Drummer 4 Him,

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X