Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smart trigger cymbals versus roland cymbals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart trigger cymbals versus roland cymbals

I am just curious about the playability of smart trigger cymbals? Does anyone own a set of these cymbals that can give me some input ?

I already own roland cymbals which I really like the playability. I have an acoustic converted drums and I think metal cymbals would complete the look though.

Or if anyone can give info on any other real look cymbals let me know.

Great appreciated.
    Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Removed post, misread topic..........

Comment

I own 7 of them. Playability is fine, feels close to a acoustic cymbal. Louder than the Rollies due to being metal instead of rubber surface.

The problem with the ST's is that there have been a lot of issues about the dampening layer peeling etc. You'll find a lot of discussions about the subject using the search engine.

My ST china peeled, got a replacement and that peeled also. This china was bought after ST's maker stated in this forum that there had been only a one bad batch which peeled and the problem was fixed. So either there has been more bad batches or he was selling the faulty ones even after knowing they would peel.

Now my 3-way ride has broken. Just send it today for repairs to Germany. (Warranty period expired).

The crashes and splashes have been OK so far.

Comment

UTFSE. There's a *lot* of info in here on peoples's experiences with Smartriggers.

You're welcome.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by vjboc View Post
          I have an acoustic converted drums and I think metal cymbals would complete the look though.
          I would recommend that you check out the metal versions of the Hart Ecymbal IIs as well.
          >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Like the others said, there is a lot of discussion on STs and recommend you read through some of those threads. That being said, I have 5 STs, three crashes (2x13 and 1X16), 1 dual-zone ride and 1 china...they play well and definitely give me the acoustic feel and look I want. I have had no mistriggering issues and are very compatible with Roland modules without a lot of tweaking. They are louder than the Rolands...especially the ride which I now use as a crash. My Hart ride is much better.

However....I have been a victim of the infamous peeling issue and have regretted buying them ever since. As soon as possible, I am going to replace them with the Hart ECII metals. Had Hart had these all along, I would never had taken a chance with STs. For acoustic looking cymbals, go with Hart is my advice.
            TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Working...
            X